Old August 30th 07, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Do you own a diesel engined vehicle?

Do you own a diesel van-mini bus-truck- or any other type of diesel engined
vehicle? if so the check out the TFL website and search for LEZ (low
emmissions zone)and see what Ken Livingstone and TFL are going to introduce
from next year (a daily charge of £100 or £200 to drive anywhere inside the
M25).

Are going to let him getaway with this?

Old August 30th 07, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John
writes
Do you own a diesel van-mini bus-truck- or any other type of diesel engined
vehicle? if so the check out the TFL website and search for LEZ (low
emmissions zone)and see what Ken Livingstone and TFL are going to introduce
from next year (a daily charge of £100 or £200 to drive anywhere inside the
M25).

Are going to let him getaway with this?

He already has.

All London's (diesel) taxis must have their exhausts upgraded to the
latest Euro levels. This has meant retro fitting exhausts on older
taxis, including the TX1's, at an average cost in excess of £2,000 +
VAT. To offset this the trade was given an extra 20p per fare increase
just over 2 years ago. On the number of fares I do per shift it will
take me another 3 years to get back the £2,300 mine will cost me.

I can understand the desire to make the environment better and as a taxi
driver sitting in traffic I would benefit from it, but to have to make
everyone retro fit rather than allow for natural turnover with a higher
standard for newer vehicles is not going to win many friends in motoring
circles. What about the costs - they will be passed on somehow so how
does that benefit people?

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old August 30th 07, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 07:25:00 GMT, John wrote:

Do you own a diesel van-mini bus-truck- or any other type of diesel engined
vehicle? if so the check out the TFL website and search for LEZ (low
emmissions zone)and see what Ken Livingstone and TFL are going to introduce
from next year (a daily charge of £100 or £200 to drive anywhere inside the
M25).

Where does it says that? All I can see is:

"The proposals set out above are focused on reducing CO2 emissions
from cars, as it is recognised that there is currently less scope for the
operators of lorries and heavier vehicles to use lower CO2 alternatives.
However, there is scope for operators of these vehicles to use cleaner
vehicles in terms of air quality emissions."
"From 6 October 2008, operators of lorries or heavier vans which meet
the Euro V standard would be eligible to apply for a discount to the
Congestion Charge, so that they would pay only £6 instead of the
standard £8 daily charge."

Steve
Old August 30th 07, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Hughes wrote:

What about the costs - they will be passed on somehow so how
does that benefit people?

The cost to people's health is already high. People who take taxis are less
likely to be those affected by living near heavy traffic.

E.

Old August 30th 07, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:55:39 GMT, Steve wrote:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 07:25:00 GMT, John wrote:

[5 quoted lines suppressed]

Where does it says that? All I can see is:

Sorry found it , i was reading the CC CO2 rules. I wonder how many
vehicles it affects, if anything newer than 2001/2 is exempt.

Steve

Old August 30th 07, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Sorry found it , i was reading the CC CO2 rules. I wonder how many
vehicles it affects, if anything newer than 2001/2 is exempt.

The aim is to get commercial vehicle operators to use newer, lower emission
vehicles for work into the centre of London.

Which, it seems to me, isn't a bad idea...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/vehicles/2535.aspx

Strikes me that any van UNDER 1205kg ULW isn't a very big van at all. It's
only going to be things like the little Japanese leg-ache vans, isn't it?
(Many of which are petrol anyway) - it'll even include stuff as small as
many Berlingos.
Old August 30th 07, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

What about the costs - they will be passed on somehow so how
does that benefit people?

The cost to people's health is already high. People who take taxis are
less likely to be those affected by living near heavy traffic.

Want to bet?

I was at a friend's flat in Paddington last night. As we arrived, he was
just getting out of the "black bus" he'd caught home from work. His
(extremely nice and far from cheap) flat has a large balcony overlooking
the A40. The Edgware Rd is barely 300yds away.
Old August 30th 07, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote:

Want to bet?

I was at a friend's flat in Paddington last night. As we arrived, he was
just getting out of the "black bus" he'd caught home from work. His
(extremely nice and far from cheap) flat has a large balcony overlooking
the A40. The Edgware Rd is barely 300yds away.

Well, that's a sample of one. Keep going and you might have something of
statistical significance.

E.

Old August 30th 07, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Want to bet?

I was at a friend's flat in Paddington last night. As we arrived, he was
just getting out of the "black bus" he'd caught home from work. His
(extremely nice and far from cheap) flat has a large balcony overlooking
the A40. The Edgware Rd is barely 300yds away.

Well, that's a sample of one. Keep going and you might have something of
statistical significance.

There's about 150 flats in that building alone. One of the other flats on
the market at the mo for £2.6m.

Do you really think everywhere in Central London is a dirt-cheap hovel?
Old August 30th 07, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote:

Do you really think everywhere in Central London is a dirt-cheap hovel?

Did you not see the words 'less likely' in what I said?

'Disadvantaged urban areas tend to be characterised by high traffic volume,
leading to increased levels of air and noise pollution and higher rates of
road traffic accidents without the benefits of access to private transport.'

http://www.archive.official-document.../ih/part2d.htm

E.