Old September 4th 07, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Help me i'm a tourist?

What's the best mode of transportation for the least expense?

From Heathrow, the Piccadilly Line. Buy an Oyster Card (£2/journey)...

Where'd you make up that number from? It says here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...April-2007.pdf

that a single ride with OysterCard varies from £1.50 within Zone 1
(i.e. Central London) to £3.50 if you go from Zone 6 (i.e. Heathrow)
to Zone 1.

or a day Travelcard ....

With an Oyster card you pay whichever is cheaper, the single fares or
a "capped" price for the day. Others here will be more familiar
with the details.
--
Mark Brader "I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to
Toronto work in a group when you're omnipotent."

Old September 4th 07, 11:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark Brader wrote:

From Heathrow, the Piccadilly Line. Buy an Oyster Card
(£2/journey)...

Where'd you make up that number from? It says here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...April-2007.pdf

that a single ride with OysterCard varies from £1.50 within Zone 1
(i.e. Central London) to £3.50 if you go from Zone 6 (i.e. Heathrow)
to Zone 1.

It also says that that same journey will cost only £2 outwith the hours
of 07:00 to 19:00 on Mondays to Fridays.

--
Bob

Old September 4th 07, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark Brader:
Where'd you make up that number from? It says here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...April-2007.pdf

that a single ride with OysterCard varies from £1.50 within Zone 1
(i.e. Central London) to £3.50 if you go from Zone 6 (i.e. Heathrow)
to Zone 1.

Bob Wood:
It also says that that same journey will cost only £2 outwith the hours
of 07:00 to 19:00 on Mondays to Fridays.

So it does! Thanks, I hadn't heard about that reduction. Still, there's
a large time interval when the higher fare applies.
--
Mark Brader | "This is a moral that runs at large;
Toronto | Take it. -- You're welcome. -- No extra charge."
Old September 6th 07, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Mark Brader:
Where'd you make up that number from? It says here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...April-2007.pdf

that a single ride with OysterCard varies from £1.50 within Zone 1
(i.e. Central London) to £3.50 if you go from Zone 6 (i.e. Heathrow)
to Zone 1.

Bob Wood:
It also says that that same journey will cost only £2 outwith the hours
of 07:00 to 19:00 on Mondays to Fridays.

So it does! Thanks, I hadn't heard about that reduction. Still, there's
a large time interval when the higher fare applies.
--
Mark Brader | "This is a moral that runs at large;
Toronto | Take it. -- You're welcome. -- No extra charge."
| -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

PMFJI with a twist on the tourist question. I have a Chicago Card Plus
which is similar to an Oyster Card. I can use the one card for two people,
as long as I tell the operator (whether bus or Rapid Transit) who has the
card reader charge my card appropriately. Nowhere in Oyster's literature do
I see this addressed. So, would/can someone tell me if I can use one Oyster
Card for two people at a time, please? Thank you.

Rich

Old September 6th 07, 11:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
mookie wrote:

PMFJI with a twist on the tourist question. I have a Chicago Card Plus
which is similar to an Oyster Card. I can use the one card for two people,
as long as I tell the operator (whether bus or Rapid Transit) who has the
card reader charge my card appropriately. Nowhere in Oyster's literature do
I see this addressed. So, would/can someone tell me if I can use one Oyster
Card for two people at a time, please? Thank you.

No, you can't (at least with PAYG - I doubt Oysters with Travelcards
loaded are any different though). Oysters don't work like a prepay
card for buying single tickets - it's more complicated than that. It
functions as a set of prepaid singles up to a point, and then caps the
charge, so all your subsequent journeys that day are free. As a
result, passing it back would be like using the same one-day
travelcard for two people, i.e. fare evasion.

I suspect if you tried this in practice, by passing your Oyster back
to comeone else, it simply won't let them through the gate if done
within several minutes of you entering (this is what happens with
paper travelcards). If it did, then your entry would suddenly look
like an unresolved journey and you'd get charged the maximum 4 pounds
single fare.

Old September 7th 07, 01:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sarah Brown" wrote in message
In article ,
mookie wrote:

[...]

Appreciate your answer. Thank you.

Old September 7th 07, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:48:38 GMT, Sarah Brown
wrote:

No, you can't (at least with PAYG - I doubt Oysters with Travelcards
loaded are any different though). Oysters don't work like a prepay
card for buying single tickets - it's more complicated than that. It
functions as a set of prepaid singles up to a point, and then caps the
charge, so all your subsequent journeys that day are free. As a
result, passing it back would be like using the same one-day
travelcard for two people, i.e. fare evasion.

For similar reasons, an Oyster loaded with a travelcard can only be
used by one person. Oysters which are only loaded with prepay value
can be shared, but cannot be used by more than one person at a time.
Presumably they can't be used by more than one person within one day,
but I can't find this stated definitively from a cursory look at the
TfL website

Martin

Old September 7th 07, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

No, you can't (at least with PAYG - I doubt Oysters with Travelcards
loaded are any different though). Oysters don't work like a prepay
card for buying single tickets - it's more complicated than that. It
functions as a set of prepaid singles up to a point, and then caps the
charge, so all your subsequent journeys that day are free. As a
result, passing it back would be like using the same one-day
travelcard for two people, i.e. fare evasion.

For similar reasons, an Oyster loaded with a travelcard can only be
used by one person. Oysters which are only loaded with prepay value
can be shared, but cannot be used by more than one person at a time.
Presumably they can't be used by more than one person within one day,
but I can't find this stated definitively from a cursory look at the
TfL website

Assuming you mean pre-pay, of course they can. They
are valid for use by the holder, whoever that may be on
the specific journey.

Oh, You're worried about capping, well there no way that
they can enforce that, is there? This would seem to be
a perk of the system.

tim

Old September 7th 07, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I appreciate all the answers. It has also dawned on me - takes me awhile -
a good reason why the difference: Chicago's Transit System (CTA) charges a
fixed rate per ride regardless of distance. One block or cross town. London
is a zone system so multiple card users would/could be difficult.

Old September 7th 07, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 09:36:57 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

Oh, You're worried about capping, well there no way that
they can enforce that, is there? This would seem to be
a perk of the system.

It's not really any different to people passing around One Day
Travelcards and (I think) weeklies. This is practically impossible to
enforce. Given this, I don't understand why they don't just make them
de-facto transferrable.

Neil

--
Neil Williams