Old September 4th 07, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Strike suggestions

Tomorrow I have to get from Cambridge to Waterloo (and onwards by train).
Not sure what time, but probably early/mid-afternoon with some danger I end
up in the evening peak. Given that there are only a few tube lines running,
I can think of the following suggestions:

Train to KX, walk to Euston, Northern line
Train to Stratford (somehow, change at Liverpool St if necessary), Jubilee
Train to KX, Northern Line to London Bridge, walk
Train to Liverpool St, bus to Waterloo (direct or one change)
Train to KX, bus to Waterloo (one/two changes)
Public transport to some other place then walk
Walk the whole way (TfL planner says an hour from KX)
Public transport to Clapham Junction instead

Given the levels of loading on buses and tubes today, what would people
suggest? I'd guess buses would be wedged, but is every man and his dog in
their car today thus jamming the streets? Are the tubes wedged too? I'd
rather walk than stand in a crowded bus or tube, especially if it's being
slow. I won't have very much luggage, but walking the whole way might be a
bit too much unless it really is the quickest option.

Any suggestions for tomorrow based on today's experience?

Thanks
Theo

Old September 4th 07, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
[...]

Depends where you're going beyond Waterloo - have you thought about KX
Thameslink to Wimbledon?
With respect to Stratford then Jubilee, do the hourly services down the line
from Stansted help at all, presumably there are a few places to change en
route?
There are main line trains from London Bridge to Waterloo East?
DLR from Stratford to Lewisham, rail to Waterloo East?

HTH

Paul S

Old September 4th 07, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
Depends where you're going beyond Waterloo - have you thought about KX
Thameslink to Wimbledon?

Thanks, I hadn't. In my case that means another change at Woking,
and I prefer to avoid all-stations stopping 455s for any longer than
necessary.

With respect to Stratford then Jubilee, do the hourly services down the
line from Stansted help at all, presumably there are a few places to
change en route?

I thought there was an hourly service via Stratford from somewhere on the
Bishop's Stortford corridor, but the planner is only taking me into LST and
out again (with a ~20 min wait at LST), or sending me on the NLL. I don't
really understand connections in the Tottenham Hale/Seven Sisters/Stratford
area thought.

Ah, there is a Bishop's Stortford-Stratford train at xx:13. And there's a
train in from Cambridge at xx:58. Don't know why the planner's not giving
me that - it can't be much slower. Anyway, this is probably a more faffy
solution than I'm happy with.

There are main line trains from London Bridge to Waterloo East?

I'd have thought it'd be quicker to walk, unless trains are very frequent?
(Heh... the planner is telling me to train London Bridge-Ladywell,
Ladywell-London Bridge, London Bridge-Waterloo East. Perhaps the 22 min
walk is easier)

DLR from Stratford to Lewisham, rail to Waterloo East?

Suppose it's an option. But a bit of a palaver to get to Stratford, and
then a further palaver with changing at Lewisham (total takes an hour,
apparently)!

Theo
Old September 4th 07, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

There are main line trains from London Bridge to Waterloo East?

I'd have thought it'd be quicker to walk, unless trains are very frequent?
(Heh... the planner is telling me to train London Bridge-Ladywell,
Ladywell-London Bridge, London Bridge-Waterloo East. Perhaps the 22 min
walk is easier)

That answer seems odd, I'd have thought London Bridge to Waterloo East
would run every 3 or 4 minutes or so even off peak?

Paul

Old September 4th 07, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Theo Markettos
writes

There are main line trains from London Bridge to Waterloo East?

I'd have thought it'd be quicker to walk, unless trains are very frequent?

Trains are roughly every 3 minutes in the early afternoon:

14.06, 14.08, 14.11, 14.13, 14.19, 14.22, 14.25 ....
--
Paul Terry

Old September 4th 07, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Theo Markettos
writes
Train to KX, Northern Line to London Bridge, walk

Why walk rather than Jubilee Line?

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old September 4th 07, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04 Sep 2007 12:52:35 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
wrote:

[...]

I had to use buses this morning and was pleasantly surprised with the
main trunk route into town (my local bus was awful). Other routes were
busyish but not horrendous.

The tube (Picc Line) was awful heading east this evening - over 25 mins
to be able to get on a train at Hyde Park Corner. The Northern Line
seems to have done OK but I don't know how crowded it was. Ditto for the
Jubilee Line. You could be very brave and try Picc Line to Leicester Sq
and then the Northern to Waterloo!

In your case I would walk to Euston and try to get a 168 (may be full as
comes from Camden) or a 59 or 68 - both start at Euston so there's a
chance you'll get on. Alternatively walk down to Russell Square and the
188 starts from there and also goes to Waterloo.

Buses seemed to be able to get about today without too much hassle.
Obviously there are no guarantees for tomorrow as more people may try to
get in to work having taken a day off today.

--
Paul C

Old September 4th 07, 11:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:58:04 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

Buses seemed to be able to get about today without too much hassle.
Obviously there are no guarantees for tomorrow as more people may try to
get in to work having taken a day off today.

This evening's London Lite ran a story about an overwhelming crowd
building up for buses outside Victoria during the morning peak, with
fights breaking out over boarding.

Apparently police were called to control the crowds waiting for buses
at (IIRC) Victoria, KXSP, and Paddington.
Old September 5th 07, 01:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Theo Markettos) wrote:

Tomorrow I have to get from Cambridge to Waterloo (and onwards by
train). Not sure what time, but probably early/mid-afternoon with some
danger I end up in the evening peak. Given that there are only a few
tube lines running, I can think of the following suggestions:

Luckily for you the strike seems to be off.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 5th 07, 05:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 00:54:04 +0100, asdf
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:58:04 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

Buses seemed to be able to get about today without too much hassle.
Obviously there are no guarantees for tomorrow as more people may try to
get in to work having taken a day off today.

This evening's London Lite ran a story about an overwhelming crowd
building up for buses outside Victoria during the morning peak, with
fights breaking out over boarding.

Apparently police were called to control the crowds waiting for buses
at (IIRC) Victoria, KXSP, and Paddington.

Sure - I was commenting from my own usage of them in the morning. I
don't doubt that things got difficult on key routes from terminal
stations. There is less risk on the Euston - Waterloo corridor as the
Northern line is running and those bus routes don't duplicate the
Victoria Line.
--
Paul C