Old August 16th 03, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Underground gets 11,000 DNA kits ('war on spitters')

In article , banana
writes

Meanwhile in
the UK it is officially said that about 3 million people are expected to
have DNA info on their police records by early next year.
Unsurprisingly, 'calls' by 'experts' for everyone to have their DNA on
file have already started to be published. Me, it wouldn't surprise me
in the slightest if DNA is already kept on file from birth; after any
kind of sample has been sent for a lab test; and even when they don't
even say they are planning to do a lab test. At the present time, and
according to what's in the public domain, putting everyone's DNA info on
file at birth is something that has only reached the stage of 'having
been suggested in a government white paper', see:
http://www.doh.gov.uk/genetics/pdfs/genetics_whitepaper.pdf.

My DNA is in a freezer somewhere in Belfast as I used to work in a
virology lab where mumps and measles viruses were cloned. It was in case
I developed something nasty and they could establish whether I got it in
the lab or not. I was also given a card to carry, in case I dropped dead
or unconscious (or was killed), that stated that I worked with
recombinant DNA.

I was probably in more risk before that during my BSc project, when I
regularly pipetted by mouth leukaemia cells rather than using a rubber
pipette filler.

[[Newsgroups trimmed]]

--
congokid