Old July 26th 10, 12:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default 'Ending' "the war on the motorist"

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10755509

"[...] This is another example of this government delivering on its pledge
to end the war on the motorist."

Mike Penning MP, PUSS for road safety amongst other things.

What a load of old sh*te. In the rather apt words of Alan Johnson, it's the
'saloon bar view'. Heck, why don't we just let all the good old boys
propping up the bar at the local Wetherspoon's make government policy from
now on - their inebriated and incoherent 'common sense' is just what the
country needs.

SoS Hammond, reign it in and give yourself some semblance of dignity.

Old July 26th 10, 06:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

SoS Hammond, reign it in and give yourself some semblance of dignity.

The word you're searching for, unsuccessfully, is "rein", as in horses
and jockeys.

If you must spray gratuitous non-railway insults around the forum, at
least get your facts right.
Old July 26th 10, 06:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10755509

"[...] This is another example of this government delivering on its pledge
to end the war on the motorist."

Mike Penning MP, PUSS for road safety amongst other things.

What a load of old sh*te. In the rather apt words of Alan Johnson, it's the
'saloon bar view'. Heck, why don't we just let all the good old boys
propping up the bar at the local Wetherspoon's make government policy from
now on - their inebriated and incoherent 'common sense' is just what the
country needs.

SoS Hammond, reign it in and give yourself some semblance of dignity.

The more I read about Hammond, the more I despair. Roll on the next
General Election, or whatever event it takes to remove him.
Old July 26th 10, 06:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 26, 7:19*pm, wrote:

SoS Hammond, reign it in and give yourself some semblance of dignity.

The word you're searching for, unsuccessfully, is "rein", as in horses
and jockeys.

If you must spray gratuitous non-railway insults around the forum, at
least get your facts right.

You mean get my words right? If you hadn't noticed my post was
actually devoid of facts but instead full of (late night) vitriol.

However next time I get myself het up over something I'll try and
remember to include some railway insults (as opposed to non-railway
insults) - though I must admit I'm inexperienced in the flavour of
invective favoured by the industry so perhaps others can provide a few
suggestions...
Old July 26th 10, 06:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 26, 11:19*am, wrote:
SoS Hammond, reign it in and give yourself some semblance of dignity.

The word you're searching for, unsuccessfully, is "rein", as in horses
and jockeys.

If you must spray gratuitous non-railway insults around the forum, at
least get your facts right.

And, if YOU must display you pedantry so gratuitously please remember
this is a usenet news group, NOT a forum. :-)

Old July 26th 10, 07:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The more I read about Hammond, the more I despair. Roll on the next
General Election, or whatever event it takes to remove him.

Don't hold your breath.

Old Labour fully deserved their long eighteen years in opposition
given the state of the economy they left behind them and their
continuing attempts, following defeat, to turn us into Rumania.

By that benchmark, New Labour deserves even longer.

It’s going to take a long long time for Middle England (who by and
large decide elections) to ever forgive Labour for tolerating Gordon
Brown and allowing him to foist his gross incompetence upon us all.

Just ask any Labour party worker, knocking on doors much south of
Manchester, and they will tell you just how universally hated that man
was and consequently what an electoral liability he was also.

Those same voters are hardly going to take kindly to the likely new
leader (the other Dave) that was part of the problem because he so
woefully failed to act against Brown despite numerous golden
opportunities to do so.

Old July 26th 10, 07:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10755509

[snip]

The more I read about Hammond, the more I despair. Roll on the next
General Election, or whatever event it takes to remove him.

Given the average tenure of that position seems to be somewhat less than 18
months, you probably won't have to wait that long.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/
Old July 26th 10, 07:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 26, 8:36*pm, allantracy wrote:

Don't hold your breath.

snipped Tracy ****e

You still here? Fruitcake, anyone?
Old July 26th 10, 07:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:44:01 -0700 (PDT), allantracy
wrote:

I quite like speed cameras on the basis of the cretins that don’t like
them maybe privatisation could be the solution the way clamping has
been privatised.

Because that would give good results, wouldn't it? Clamping firms
seem to prey on easy targets rather than real offenders, as they're
the most profitable.

(Yes, I know, if there's a sign up you shouldn't park there. But a
properly-trained police officer has discretion, and I prefer that.)

As for cameras, they have their place - though I am far more in
support of SPECS cameras than "point" GATSOs, as the latter only seem
to cause panic braking. If Oxfordshire are cutting funding so they'll
all be turned off, though, perhaps they could also consider cutting
funding to their overzealous programme of slapping blanket 40 and
50mph limits on roads where they're not necessary, while ignoring
other locations where they might actually be sensible?

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old July 26th 10, 08:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

perhaps they could also consider cutting
funding to their overzealous programme of slapping blanket 40 and
50mph limits on roads where they're not necessary,

There’s quite a lot of that sort of thing going on round my way, on
roads that were previously national speed limit.

My neighbourhood policeman tells me it’s because of the more than a
few idiots that seem not to understand that speed limits are a
maximum, rather than a minimum, so need to have it spelt out for
them.

It also makes it easier to book them when they floor it around a
restricted visibility bend and find out the hard way that Farmer
Palmer's tractor only goes 15mph.