Old September 15th 07, 11:47 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.transport.london

Default The Olympic Gravytrain on Despatches

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:46:12 +0100, John Rowland
wrote the following to uk.media.tv.misc:

Marcus Houlden wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:35:33 +0100, John Rowland
wrote the following to
uk.media.tv.misc:

Despatches wanted to get information from LOCOG, the body which is
delivering the Olympics. LOCOG refused. Despatches demanded the
information under the Freedom Of Information act. LOCOG said that
act doesn't apply to them, because they are a private company!
Despatches then found out that LOCOG is mainly owned by Ken
Livingstone and Tessa Jowell!

Presumably they'll also find out that Seb Coe has a few connections
with it.
The Mcr Commonwealth Games was also organized mainly by a private
company,
Manchester 2002 Ltd, which was owned by Mcr City Council. A lot of
charities
are also incorporated as private limited companies with the directors
listed
as "owners". Nothing suspicious about that; it's just standard
practice in
case the organization goes bust and to give it a legal entity
separate from
the people running it. I would expect the mayor of London and the
Secretary
of State for DCM&S to be named as company directors of LOCOG; it
would be
odd if they weren't.

I don't think they said it's owned by the mayor and the minister, I think
they said it's owned by Ken and Tessa.

It's a legal requirement for company directors to give their name and
residential address (section 289 of the Companies Act 1986), so I'm not
really surprised. If a new mayor or secretary of state takes over, they'll
probably get the names updated pretty sharpish.

However, the programme's attempts to suggest that Seb Coe was doing
something wrong seemed bizarre. If the guy has become a more expensive
after-dinner speaker as a result of his Olympic work, so what? Why should
the public mind?

Probably easier to go for personalities rather than trying to explain
complex issues about budgets.

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

Old September 16th 07, 10:35 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Marcus Houlden wrote:
[...]

This was Dispatches. I didn't bother to watch this one, having seen
the same programme ignore real issues while lazily implying all sorts
of wrongdoing for which there is no evidence.

(Remember them showing a goods train being shunted over wonky bit of
track in a siding, while overdubbing the sound of a speeding express
train, in order to imply that express trains were about to be derailed
by such bits of track? It's not tike there are no real issues around
track maintenance that they could have raised.)

It's a discredited documentary series. I don't know why it continues.