London Banter

-   -   Flash Mobbing (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/568-flash-mobbing.html)

Joe Patrick August 18th 03 11:16 AM

Flash Mobbing

With all this Flash Mobbing going on a crazy idea sprung into my head. Since
there has been instances of Photographers turned away from Stations such as
Kings Cross and the like why dont you organise a Flash Mobbing where loads
of people turn up and take photos and see what the security staff try to do
about it. Just one of my Ideas - what do you Think?
--
To reply direct, Remove NOSPAM and Replace with 21fun
For the latest News, Information and Photos check out

Darren August 18th 03 11:37 AM

Flash Mobbing

"Joe Patrick" wrote in message
With all this Flash Mobbing going on a crazy idea sprung into my head.

Since
there has been instances of Photographers turned away from Stations such

as
Kings Cross and the like why dont you organise a Flash Mobbing where loads
of people turn up and take photos and see what the security staff try to

do
about it. Just one of my Ideas - what do you Think?

Station Security would probably call the police, who would somehow manage to
find large amounts of backup/Helicopters/riot squad and have everyone
dragged away for terrorist activities/rioting or something silly

Tim Rogers August 18th 03 11:38 AM

Flash Mobbing

"Joe Patrick" wrote in message
With all this Flash Mobbing going on a crazy idea sprung into my head.

Since
there has been instances of Photographers turned away from Stations such

as
Kings Cross and the like why dont you organise a Flash Mobbing where loads
of people turn up and take photos and see what the security staff try to

do
about it. Just one of my Ideas - what do you Think?
--
To reply direct, Remove NOSPAM and Replace with 21fun
For the latest News, Information and Photos check out
http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk

What about taking photos of security staff???

---

Bondee August 18th 03 12:21 PM

Flash Mobbing

"Darren" wrote in message
"Joe Patrick" wrote in message
With all this Flash Mobbing going on a crazy idea sprung into my head.

Since
there has been instances of Photographers turned away from Stations such

as
Kings Cross and the like why dont you organise a Flash Mobbing where

loads
of people turn up and take photos and see what the security staff try to

do
about it. Just one of my Ideas - what do you Think?

Station Security would probably call the police, who would somehow manage

find large amounts of backup/Helicopters/riot squad and have everyone
dragged away for terrorist activities/rioting or something silly

They'd bring in a farmer and his collie to round the flash mobbers up like
the sheep they are.

Darren August 18th 03 12:24 PM

Flash Mobbing

"Bondee" wrote in message
They'd bring in a farmer and his collie to round the flash mobbers up like
the sheep they are.

lol, how about Tony Martin? I'm sure he could break up a crowd quite well

Tim Fenton August 18th 03 01:48 PM

Flash Mobbing

Darren wrote in message

Station Security would probably call the police, who would somehow

manage to
find large amounts of backup/Helicopters/riot squad and have everyone
dragged away for terrorist activities/rioting or something silly

Don't be daft, you'd at least have to all shout "free Tibet" half a
dozen times first g

--
Tim

Bondee August 18th 03 02:00 PM

Flash Mobbing

"Tim Fenton" wrote in message

Darren wrote in message

Station Security would probably call the police, who would somehow

manage to
find large amounts of backup/Helicopters/riot squad and have everyone
dragged away for terrorist activities/rioting or something silly

Don't be daft, you'd at least have to all shout "free Tibet" half a
dozen times first g

"FREE TIBET!!!"

....with every packet of Kellogs Cornflakes.
: )

Sam Wilson August 18th 03 02:27 PM

Flash Mobbing

In article , Bondee
wrote:

"FREE TIBET!!!"

...with every packet of Kellogs Cornflakes.
: )

Must be one of the offers you have to send off for - you'd never get it
in the packet.

Sam

Cast_Iron August 18th 03 02:40 PM

Flash Mobbing

"Sam Wilson" wrote in message
In article , Bondee
wrote:

"FREE TIBET!!!"

...with every packet of Kellogs Cornflakes.
: )

Must be one of the offers you have to send off for - you'd never get it
in the packet.

How many cut-out tokens would be needed?

John Mullen August 18th 03 02:58 PM

Flash Mobbing

"Darren" wrote in message
"Bondee" wrote in message
They'd bring in a farmer and his collie to round the flash mobbers up

like
the sheep they are.

lol, how about Tony Martin? I'm sure he could break up a crowd quite well

Hmm, well maybe if it was a crowd of unarmed teenagers with their backs to
him and he had a gun he would have a chance...

John

Powerslider August 18th 03 03:02 PM

Flash Mobbing

"Richard J." wrote in message
Joe Patrick wrote:
With all this Flash Mobbing going on a crazy idea sprung into my
head. Since there has been instances of Photographers turned away
from Stations such as Kings Cross and the like why dont you organise
a Flash Mobbing where loads of people turn up and take photos and see
what the security staff try to do about it. Just one of my Ideas -
what do you Think?

It would have to be a Non-Flash Mob to avoid dazzling drivers and other
staff with hundreds of camera flashes.
--
Richard J.

Damn you got there before me...

Stimpy August 18th 03 03:08 PM

Flash Mobbing

"Sam Wilson" wrote in message

"FREE TIBET!!!"

...with every packet of Kellogs Cornflakes. : )

Must be one of the offers you have to send off for - you'd never get

it
in the packet.

Haven't you seen the new miniature 'Tibettes', they'd fit

CJG August 18th 03 05:41 PM

Flash Mobbing

In message , Joe Patrick
writes
With all this Flash Mobbing going on a crazy idea sprung into my head.
Since there has been instances of Photographers turned away from
Stations such as Kings Cross and the like why dont you organise a Flash
Mobbing where loads of people turn up and take photos and see what the
security staff try to do about it. Just one of my Ideas - what do you
Think?

Because they would just close the station on safety grounds
(overcrowding) before even half the people managed to get in.
--
CJG

Rich Mackin August 18th 03 05:51 PM

Flash Mobbing

"CJG" wrote in message
In message , Joe Patrick
writes
With all this Flash Mobbing going on a crazy idea sprung into my head.
Since there has been instances of Photographers turned away from
Stations such as Kings Cross and the like why dont you organise a Flash
Mobbing where loads of people turn up and take photos and see what the
security staff try to do about it. Just one of my Ideas - what do you
Think?

Because they would just close the station on safety grounds
(overcrowding) before even half the people managed to get in.

And they'd probably take an even harder line against enthusiasts - even to
the extent of an all-out ban? I fear such a stunt could backfire with
disastrous results.

--
*** http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/ *** - updated 10 August
Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk

James Masterton August 18th 03 06:14 PM

Flash Mobbing

In message , John
Mullen writes
Hmm, well maybe if it was a crowd of unarmed teenagers with their backs to
him and he had a gun he would have a chance...

If they were also trespassing on his property with an intent to commit
further crimes and the police had abdicated from their responsibility to
protect said property then you would be correct...
--
James Masterton - www.masterton.co.uk

John Rowland August 18th 03 08:06 PM

Flash Mobbing

"Joe Patrick" wrote in message

With all this Flash Mobbing going on a crazy idea sprung
into my head. Since there has been instances of
Photographers turned away from Stations such as
Kings Cross and the like why dont you organise a
Flash Mobbing where loads of people turn up and
take photos and see what the security staff try to do
about it. Just one of my Ideas - what do you Think?

If you're that short of useful things to do, I've got a shed needs painting.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Richard August 18th 03 10:02 PM

Flash Mobbing

With all this Flash Mobbing going on a crazy idea sprung into my head.
Since
there has been instances of Photographers turned away from Stations such

as
Kings Cross and the like why dont you organise a Flash Mobbing where

loads
of people turn up and take photos and see what the security staff try to

do
about it. Just one of my Ideas - what do you Think?

The principle of mobbing is that there is no point to it - if there was a
motive, it wouldn't be mobbing.

Joe Patrick August 19th 03 08:12 AM

Flash Mobbing

If you're that short of useful things to do, I've got a shed needs
painting.

I see a Pink, White, Blue and White Shed with Gold 'F's over it

Thames Ranger August 19th 03 11:04 AM

Tony Martin

"Richard" wrote in message

If Tony Martin had been attacked by these people he would have got away

with
it.

snip

Take it somewhere more relevent, please. This is uk.railway and
uk.transport.london, not uk.letsdiscusstonymartin, no matter how interesting
the debate. I'll leave you to choose a more appropriate group!

FU: alt.dev.null

Alistair Gunn August 19th 03 11:30 AM

Flash Mobbing

In uk.railway Richard twisted the electrons to say:
If he had fired anywhere other than straight along at body height (as
anyone who has ever picked up a gun knows is incredibly dangerous) he
would probably have got away with it.

Maybe he should've taken the advice of a (IIRC) New Zealand Chief
Constable who said if you had to shoot someone who broke into your house
the very next thing you should do was fire a shot into the ceiling/floor
so you can claim you fired a warning shot ...

Of course, in certain US states I believe you don't want to fire a warning
shot as legally that is taken to show that you where not out of options
short of lethal force.

He didn't, he shot two people in the back, killing one of them.

Well at least one of them won't be repeat offending then, and maybe the
other one will think twice before "breaking & entering" again ... Yeah,
unlikely I know ... :-(

Roland Perry August 19th 03 11:35 AM

Flash Mobbing

In article , Alistair Gunn
writes
Maybe he should've taken the advice of a (IIRC) New Zealand Chief
Constable who said if you had to shoot someone who broke into your house
the very next thing you should do was fire a shot into the ceiling/floor
so you can claim you fired a warning shot ...

Of course, in certain US states I believe you don't want to fire a warning
shot as legally that is taken to show that you where not out of options
short of lethal force.

And in many US states they advise that should you shoot a burglar make
sure his body is found *inside* rather than outside the house.
--
"It used to be that what a writer did was type a bit and then stare out of the
window a bit, type a bit, stare out of the window a bit. Networked computers

John Mullen August 19th 03 11:37 AM

(OT) Tony Martin (was: Flash Mobbing)

"Alistair Gunn" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

One of the things I find interesting about this tragic case is that, while a
lot of Martin's supporters, and Martin himself apparently, seem to want a
return to 'Victorian Values'((C) the Conservative and Unionist Party), I
would have thought that in Victorian days Martin would have had his neck
stretched for shooting an unarmed teenager who was trying to get away at the
time. Not that I agree this would have been a good thing, but I suppose this
too would have prevented reoffense by the man, who is clearly a loon of the
first order.

John

Roland Perry August 19th 03 12:02 PM

(OT) Tony Martin (was: Flash Mobbing)

In article , John
Mullen writes
One of the things I find interesting about this tragic case is that, while a
lot of Martin's supporters, and Martin himself apparently, seem to want a
return to 'Victorian Values'((C) the Conservative and Unionist Party), I
would have thought that in Victorian days Martin would have had his neck
stretched for shooting an unarmed teenager who was trying to get away at the
time.

It's always possible that with different law enforcement values, the
teenager (who was an admitted burglar) would have been taken out of
circulation earlier, and not been in a position to engage in his
activities that night, and so would never have been shot at.

Thames Ranger August 19th 03 12:38 PM

(OT) Tony Martin

"Alistair Gunn" wrote in message
. ..
In uk.railway John Mullen twisted the electrons to say:
One of the things I find interesting about this tragic case

As far as i can tell it's rather

For crying out loud folks, choose somewhere rather more appropriate to take
this to!! These two groups are sure enough NOT the place.

FU: alt.dev.null

Stimpy August 19th 03 12:51 PM

(OT) Tony Martin

"Thames Ranger" wrote in message
"Alistair Gunn" wrote in message
. ..
In uk.railway John Mullen twisted the electrons to say:
One of the things I find interesting about this tragic case

As far as i can tell it's rather

For crying out loud folks, choose somewhere rather more appropriate

to take
this to!! These two groups are sure enough NOT the place.

It's thread drift and, in line with Usenet convention the thread has
even been renamed. Live with it or, if you don't like, it just set
your newsreader to ignore the thread.

Jack Howard August 19th 03 02:42 PM

(OT) Tony Martin

In message ,
Thames Ranger writes
"Stimpy" wrote in message
"Thames Ranger" wrote in message

It's thread drift and, in line with Usenet convention the thread has
even been renamed. Live with it or, if you don't like, it just set
your newsreader to ignore the thread.

Great excuse for something that has no relevence to either group. Not.

Well, that is what usually happens. Welcome to Usenet! :-)

Thread drift is fine when it still has *some tenuous link* to the group at
the very least. The actions of Tony Martin have feck all to do with anything
in either group.

That's debatable. After all the right of people (or entities) to defend
their own property from people who break and enter in order to commit
crimes of theft or vandalism *is* something of relevance to the
railways.

Personally my sympathies lie entirely with Mr Martin. As I understand
it he fired downwards intending to injure one burglar in the legs, with
no knowledge that the other was crouching there. People who break into
other people's houses (or factories, locosheds, etc) with criminal
intent deserve all they get, and the law should be on the side of the
burgled, not the burglar.

--
- Jack Howard, Systems Development Engineer, Firstnet Services Limited
===[ http://www.firstnet.net.uk --- Total Internet Solutions ]===

===[ This message subject to http://www.firstnet.net.uk/disclaimer.html ]===

Richard August 19th 03 03:02 PM

(OT) Tony Martin

Personally my sympathies lie entirely with Mr Martin. As I understand
it he fired downwards intending to injure one burglar in the legs, with
no knowledge that the other was crouching there. People who break into
other people's houses (or factories, locosheds, etc) with criminal
intent deserve all they get, and the law should be on the side of the
burgled, not the burglar.

While it seems nice on the surface, the Daily Mail answer to crime is a
dangerous one.

At the moment we have a system where after committing on average about 10
burglaries, the person is bundled before the courts and receives a
punishment, usually of a hundred or so hours unpaid work first time round,
custodial later on. The punishment is not currently death.

Anyone using force is required to show that it was reasonable in the
circumstances - e.g. if Tony Martin had been threatened with a knife, firing
a lethal weapon in their direction might have been reasonable.

If you move to a system where minor crimes are subject to unlimited
punishment, things quickly escalate.

E.g. domestic argument, visitor pushes householder, householder responds
with murder?
E.g. ambulance called to house, paramedics killed by 'anti-burglar' measures
or over-enthusiastic neighbour
E.g. person lost and trespasses on land, shot as a 'possible burglar'
E.g. police able to use unlimited force without checks, easily exploitable
by corrupt officers
E.g. person able to kill and pretend they were defending their own property
at the time

This kind of disproportionate reaction is justified only in very rare
circumstances, e.g. by the government in protecting order, and you can see
the dangers of its introduction, for example, by looking at the effects of
its use in Northern Ireland.

Tony Martin belongs in one place until the end of a typical murder sentence,
and that is prison.

Richard

Cast_Iron August 19th 03 03:35 PM

(OT) Tony Martin

Richard wrote:

This kind of disproportionate reaction is justified only in
very rare circumstances, e.g. by the government in
protecting order, and you can see the dangers of its
introduction, for example, by looking at the effects of its
use in Northern Ireland.

Tony Martin belongs in one place until the end of a typical
murder sentence, and that is prison.

I wonder if people who spout this mantra would behave any differently if
they were in Tony Martin's situation or were actually taking note of the
whole situation.

Jason Hobbs King August 19th 03 03:49 PM

(OT) Tony Martin

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:51:20 +0100, "Stimpy"
wrote:

"Thames Ranger" wrote in message
"Alistair Gunn" wrote in message
. ..
In uk.railway John Mullen twisted the electrons to say:
One of the things I find interesting about this tragic case

As far as i can tell it's rather

For crying out loud folks, choose somewhere rather more appropriate

to take
this to!! These two groups are sure enough NOT the place.

It's thread drift and, in line with Usenet convention the thread has
even been renamed. Live with it or, if you don't like, it just set
your newsreader to ignore the thread.

What convention? No Charter or FAQ I've ever read has sanctioned this.

Cheers,

Jason.

Nathan Whitington August 19th 03 09:10 PM

Tony Martin

"Richard" wrote in message

If Tony Martin had been attacked by these people he would have got away

with
it.

snip

Take it somewhere more relevent, please. This is uk.railway and
uk.transport.london, not uk.letsdiscusstonymartin, no matter how interesting
the debate. I'll leave you to choose a more appropriate group!

FU: alt.dev.null

You think you are big because you wrote that.

Graeme Wall August 19th 03 09:34 PM

Flash Mobbing

In message
"Joe Patrick" wrote:

If you're that short of useful things to do, I've got a shed needs
painting.

I see a Pink, White, Blue and White Shed with Gold 'F's over it

Can I have some of what you're drinking :-)

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

congokid August 19th 03 10:19 PM

Flash Mobbing

In article , Joe Patrick
writes
With all this Flash Mobbing going on a crazy idea sprung into my head. Since
there has been instances of Photographers turned away from Stations such as
Kings Cross and the like why dont you organise a Flash Mobbing where loads
of people turn up and take photos and see what the security staff try to do
about it. Just one of my Ideas - what do you Think?

I've got about a million spam virus laden emails flashmobbing my email
reader this evening. Anyone else? It seems to be W32.Sobig.F@mm

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

Thames Ranger August 20th 03 07:44 AM

Tony Martin

"Nathan Whitington" wrote in message
m...
"Thames Ranger" wrote in message

Take it somewhere more relevent, please. This is uk.railway and
uk.transport.london, not uk.letsdiscusstonymartin, no matter how

interesting
the debate. I'll leave you to choose a more appropriate group!

FU: alt.dev.null

You think you are big because you wrote that.

Sorry, did you have something pertinent to say? Or are you just fat for
saying that ;-)

Stimpy August 20th 03 09:57 AM

(OT) Tony Martin

"Jason Hobbs King" wrote in message

It's thread drift and, in line with Usenet convention the thread

has
even been renamed. Live with it or, if you don't like, it just set
your newsreader to ignore the thread.

What convention? No Charter or FAQ I've ever read has sanctioned

this.

The unwritten convention that thread drift happens and the best way to
'manage' it is to rename the thread, prefixing it with (OT) or
similar.

Jack Howard August 20th 03 10:19 AM

(OT) Tony Martin

In message , Richard
writes
Personally my sympathies lie entirely with Mr Martin. As I understand
it he fired downwards intending to injure one burglar in the legs, with
no knowledge that the other was crouching there. People who break into
other people's houses (or factories, locosheds, etc) with criminal
intent deserve all they get, and the law should be on the side of the
burgled, not the burglar.

While it seems nice on the surface, the Daily Mail answer to crime is a
dangerous one.

At the moment we have a system where after committing on average about 10
burglaries, the person is bundled before the courts and receives a
punishment, usually of a hundred or so hours unpaid work first time round,

So, for totally destroying a family's feeling of security in their own
home, depriving them of items of possibly incalculable sentimental
value, you regard getting away with it 10 times and then doing a few
hours of unpaid work as a suitable punishment?

Perhaps you are a hermit who owns nothing of value, financial or
personal, but most of the rest of us regard our homes as places of
safety and security in which we can store our goods and memories.

The punishment for those who shatter that feeling of security should be
one hell of a lot worse than 100 hours of light labour, IMO.

custodial later on.

After they've wrecked even more people's well-being.

The punishment is not currently death.

I'm not suggesting that it should be. However those who set out to
commit such crimes should expect both a high level of risk (including
the possibility of death, maiming, or other very serious injury) while
carrying out their acts, and harsh punishment when caught by the proper
authorities.

Proper justice includes the extraction of fair vengeance from the
wrongdoer. Those who commit crime for gain should have fewer rights
than those who don't, or who only do so to protect themselves and their
property from criminals.

snip silly examples

And BTW, I don't read the Daily Mail.

Cast_Iron August 20th 03 12:44 PM

(OT) Tony Martin

Stimpy wrote:
"Jason Hobbs King" wrote in message

It's thread drift and, in line with Usenet convention the
thread has even been renamed. Live with it or, if you
don't like, it just set your newsreader to ignore the
thread.

What convention? No Charter or FAQ I've ever read has
sanctioned this.

The unwritten convention that thread drift happens and the
best way to 'manage' it is to rename the thread, prefixing
it with (OT) or similar.

P'rahaps he's just another one of these dickheads that needs to have "rules"
and "instructions" before he'll comply with a simple request. It's specimens
like that that make life difficult for sensible people and don't even
advance their own cause.

Jason Hobbs King August 20th 03 01:23 PM

Flash Mobbing

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:19:05 +0100, congokid
wrote:

In article , Joe Patrick
writes
With all this Flash Mobbing going on a crazy idea sprung into my head. Since
there has been instances of Photographers turned away from Stations such as
Kings Cross and the like why dont you organise a Flash Mobbing where loads
of people turn up and take photos and see what the security staff try to do
about it. Just one of my Ideas - what do you Think?

I've got about a million spam virus laden emails flashmobbing my email
reader this evening. Anyone else? It seems to be W32.Sobig.F@mm

More about W32/Sobig.f
http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=8449
Scan for W32/Sobig.f
http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=8450

Cheers,

Jason.

Jason Hobbs King August 20th 03 01:27 PM

(OT) Tony Martin

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:57:48 +0100, "Stimpy"
wrote:

"Jason Hobbs King" wrote in message
.. .

It's thread drift and, in line with Usenet convention the thread

has
even been renamed. Live with it or, if you don't like, it just set
your newsreader to ignore the thread.

What convention? No Charter or FAQ I've ever read has sanctioned

this.

The unwritten convention that thread drift happens and the best way to
'manage' it is to rename the thread, prefixing it with (OT) or
similar.

Wonder why it's unwritten? Because it's not a convention!
If it goes off topic, take it to email.

Cheers,

Jason.

Thames Ranger August 20th 03 01:29 PM

(OT) Tony Martin

wrote:

The unwritten convention that thread drift happens and the best way to
'manage' it is to rename the thread, prefixing it with (OT) or
similar.

Wonder why it's unwritten? Because it's not a convention!
If it goes off topic, take it to email.

Taking it to a more suitable group is also a perfectly reasonable action.

Jack Howard August 20th 03 01:48 PM

(OT) Tony Martin

In message , Jason Hobbs
King writes

Wonder why it's unwritten? Because it's not a convention!
If it goes off topic, take it to email.

Bit inconvenient for anyone else who was interested in the discussion,
though.

AFAIA, the "convention" is that if only two people are contributing,
take it to mail, but if several people are actively posting to the
thread (and not just to rant about OT posts!), then it should be
labelled appropriately but left running, as members of the group are
obviously interested in it. Claiming that you should move to another,
more appropriate group isn't really that feasible, as few people are
subscribed to all 35,000~odd active groups!