Old October 15th 07, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Euston Island

On Oct 15, 10:21 pm, MIG wrote:
On Oct 15, 8:14 pm, wrote:

On Oct 15, 7:54 pm, MIG wrote:

On Oct 14, 7:24 pm, wrote:

On Sep 30, 7:18 pm, wrote:

I've just seen this website -http://winstainforth10.foliosnap.com/?goto=eustonstationabandonedtunn...
with pictures of some of the abandoned bits of Euston. But there's one
photo -http://winstainforth10.foliosnap.com/?goto=eustonstationabandonedtunn...
- which says that there was originally a bridge onto the old island
platform for the city branch. I've been to euston, and the "other
side" of that photo is half way along the platform. Supposedly its the
original way onto the platforms rather than the 1910s-1960s entrance
at the west end of the platform, which was shared with the Charing
Cross branch.

The only photos I've seen of the island platform are ones showing the
stairs at the west end of the platform. Does anyone have any old
photos/postcards showing the bridge?

Hello, I'm the photographer who took the photos of the Euston tunnels,
I must say a lot of completely wrong information has been written in
this post.

I've put together a page which will hopefully clear things up, just to
be clear things up.

http://www.robertsphotos.co.uk/desktop.htm

Cheers

Robert Stainforth

Thanks; this confirms a lot. The first of your pictures shows the
second hole quite close to the first, and shows it to be in the groove
I referred to elsewhere.

In the photo where you say one of the bridges can be seen, the
structure is much further from the hole that can be seen. The groove
which is hiding the second hole can be seen, although the hole can't,
so I am still sure that that structure is not a bridge associated with
the passageways in question.

Hi, I'd disagree with you on that, the old photo is taken from a
completely different perspective than the new shots. I'd say the
bridge looks in just the right place, also look how small the chap is
sitting on the far bench. The distance is further than you may think.

That's what I'm saying: it's too far. In your first photo you can see
that the hole in the groove is quite close to the one not in the
groove.

In the old photo, you can see the groove just beyond the visible
hole. The structure running across is much further away.

Looks right to me, anyone else have an opinion?

Rob

Old October 15th 07, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Oct, 23:26, wrote:
On Oct 15, 10:21 pm, MIG wrote:

On Oct 15, 8:14 pm, wrote:

On Oct 15, 7:54 pm, MIG wrote:

On Oct 14, 7:24 pm, wrote:

On Sep 30, 7:18 pm, wrote:

[...]

I think that it can't be connected to the hole, because the holes'
don't have holes on the opposite wall - so there would be nowhere for
the other side of the bridge to attach to - if you were walking on it
you'd hit your head as the tunnel roof curved down to the bridge
floor. I also can't really see why the entrance from the hole would go
all the way across - it seems more likely that it would only go as far
as the island.

Old October 16th 07, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 15, 11:53 pm, lonelytraveller
wrote:
On 15 Oct, 23:26, wrote:

On Oct 15, 10:21 pm, MIG wrote:

On Oct 15, 8:14 pm, wrote:

On Oct 15, 7:54 pm, MIG wrote:

On Oct 14, 7:24 pm, wrote:

On Sep 30, 7:18 pm, wrote:

[...]

The tunnel originally tiled, they have been removed long ago and
plastered over. Any trace of where the bridge was connected to the
other side would also have been plastered over. If the bridge isn't
connected to the holes what else was it connected to??

Rob

Old October 16th 07, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Oct, 23:58, wrote:

The tunnel originally tiled, they have been removed long ago and
plastered over. Any trace of where the bridge was connected to the
other side would also have been plastered over. If the bridge isn't
connected to the holes what else was it connected to??

Rob

I think its the bridge in this picture -
http://www.pendar.pwp.blueyonder.co....6_Euston07.jpg -
and in this one - - http://www.pendar.pwp.blueyonder.co....6_Euston10.jpg
- which is still there, just beyond the southbound end of the
platform.

Old October 17th 07, 07:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

I think its the bridge in this picture -http://www.pendar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Tube/Euston/6_Euston07.jpg-
and in this one - -http://www.pendar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Tube/Euston/6_Euston10.jpg
- which is still there, just beyond the southbound end of the
platform.

Yes, and therefore not connected to the holes that we are talking
about further up the platform. It does look like an unconnected route
across the tracks, so I wonder where it led to and from, and whether
it was built later than the missing bridge we are looking for?

Old October 17th 07, 07:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
On 16 Oct, 23:58, wrote:

The tunnel originally tiled, they have been removed long ago and
plastered over. Any trace of where the bridge was connected to the
other side would also have been plastered over. If the bridge isn't
connected to the holes what else was it connected to??

Rob

I think its the bridge in this picture -http://www.pendar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Tube/Euston/6_Euston07.jpg-
and in this one - -http://www.pendar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Tube/Euston/6_Euston10.jpg
- which is still there, just beyond the southbound end of the
platform.

Yes, and therefore not connected to the holes that we are talking
about further up the platform. It does look like an unconnected route
across the tracks, so I wonder where it led to and from, and whether
it was built later than the missing bridge we are looking for

Or maybe it's just a storage space or something. I think it's still
there.

Old October 17th 07, 07:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 16 Oct, 23:58, wrote:

The tunnel originally tiled, they have been removed long ago and
plastered over. Any trace of where the bridge was connected to the
other side would also have been plastered over. If the bridge isn't
connected to the holes what else was it connected to??

Rob

I think its the bridge in this picture -http://www.pendar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Tube/Euston/6_Euston07.jpg-
and in this one - -http://www.pendar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Tube/Euston/6_Euston10.jpg
- which is still there, just beyond the southbound end of the
platform.

I think you are right, the bridge is the old signal room? So when
where the foot bridges taken down.

Rob