Old November 26th 06, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster PAYG Island Gardens via Bank to Liverpool Street

When going from Island Garden to Liverpool Street I use DLR to Bank and
then the Central Line. Do I need to touch out on the readers at Bank
as I am going from DLR to LU or is this considered one journey?

Old November 26th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Nov 2006 14:02:25 -0800, wrote:

When going from Island Garden to Liverpool Street I use DLR to Bank and
then the Central Line. Do I need to touch out on the readers at Bank
as I am going from DLR to LU or is this considered one journey?

That is one continuous journey.
Old November 26th 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:
On 26 Nov 2006 14:02:25 -0800, wrote:

When going from Island Garden to Liverpool Street I use DLR to Bank and
then the Central Line. Do I need to touch out on the readers at Bank
as I am going from DLR to LU or is this considered one journey?

That is one continuous journey.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/tickets/oyster_faqs.shtml#9 says:

"How do I use Oyster Pre Pay at Bank station?

If you interchange with the DLR at Bank you need to touch your Oyster
card flat on the yellow reader again on the DLR concourse. If you do
not touch in and out at Bank's DLR concourse you may be charged more
than you need. This is not necessary at other interchange stations."

Which suggests that you *do* need to touch out at the DLR concourse,
though it isn't clear whether you still need to do it if you intend to
exit Bank station though the ticket gates immediately afterwards
(obviously you need to do it if you are using the lift to King William
Street).

PaulO

Old November 26th 06, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Nov 2006 14:35:53 -0800, "Paul Oter"
wrote:

James Farrar wrote:
On 26 Nov 2006 14:02:25 -0800, wrote:

When going from Island Garden to Liverpool Street I use DLR to Bank and
then the Central Line. Do I need to touch out on the readers at Bank
as I am going from DLR to LU or is this considered one journey?

That is one continuous journey.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/tickets/oyster_faqs.shtml#9 says:

"How do I use Oyster Pre Pay at Bank station?

If you interchange with the DLR at Bank you need to touch your Oyster
card flat on the yellow reader again on the DLR concourse. If you do
not touch in and out at Bank's DLR concourse you may be charged more
than you need. This is not necessary at other interchange stations."

Interesting. I can't think of any reason why that would be (there is
at least one other DLRLU interchange without intervening gatelines)
- unless the thought is that there are possible 2 hour journeys from
Beckton/Lewisham.

Which suggests that you *do* need to touch out at the DLR concourse,
though it isn't clear whether you still need to do it if you intend to
exit Bank station though the ticket gates immediately afterwards

I would say not, as that is not "interchanging with the DLR".
Old November 26th 06, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote in
:

wrote:

James Farrar wrote:
[...]

As I said once, I got ********ed by a DLR ticket inspector for not
touching in at the start of my journey when I was travelling from Old
Street to Beckton via Bank. I had used the gates at Old Street but
hadn't touched the reader at Bank. His handheld device had no reference
to me using the gates on the underground, just that I hadn't validated
the DLR part.

The thing is, it wasn't even PAYG, it was an annual season ticket!! I
have subsequently found out on UTL that the inspector was in the wrong
to have quizzed me and I should have taken his details and complained.

But at the time, it was most disconcerting.

According to the "new rules", PAYG by not touching the reader on Bank
platforms would, I guess, be charged £8 (a £4 non-ending tube journey,
and a £4 non-starting DLR journey).

Old November 26th 06, 11:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 18:34:10 -0600, Tristán White wrote:

When going from Island Garden to Liverpool Street I use DLR to Bank
and then the Central Line. Do I need to touch out on the readers
at Bank as I am going from DLR to LU or is this considered one
journey?

As I said once, I got ********ed by a DLR ticket inspector for not
touching in at the start of my journey when I was travelling from Old
Street to Beckton via Bank. I had used the gates at Old Street but
hadn't touched the reader at Bank. His handheld device had no reference
to me using the gates on the underground, just that I hadn't validated
the DLR part.

The thing is, it wasn't even PAYG, it was an annual season ticket!!

If his machine couldn't see the season ticket, I reckon the cause was
an error reading the card rather than anything to do with the Bank
validator.

According to the "new rules", PAYG by not touching the reader on Bank
platforms would, I guess, be charged £8 (a £4 non-ending tube journey,
and a £4 non-starting DLR journey).

That seems unlikely to me - the readers would have no way of knowing
whether you changed between Tube and DLR at Bank, or at another
interchange where no touching is required (e.g. Stratford).

Empirical evidence accumulated prior to the introduction of the £4
charge suggested it's absolutely fine to ignore the validator at Bank
(and there have been stories of actually being overcharged for
touching it, though that issue has most likely been resolved by now).

The situation may have changed since, but personally I suspect all it
is is a case of crossed wires somewhere between the Oyster system
designers and the FAQ authors.
Old November 30th 06, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/tickets/oyster_faqs.shtml#9 says:

"How do I use Oyster Pre Pay at Bank station?

If you interchange with the DLR at Bank you need to touch your Oyster
card flat on the yellow reader again on the DLR concourse. If you do
not touch in and out at Bank's DLR concourse you may be charged more
than you need. This is not necessary at other interchange stations."

Which suggests that you *do* need to touch out at the DLR concourse,
though it isn't clear whether you still need to do it if you intend to
exit Bank station though the ticket gates immediately afterwards
(obviously you need to do it if you are using the lift to King William
Street).

I've never done this, I just touch the reader at my end destination,
and have always been charged correctly. Is this only necessary since
the £4 charge was implimented? Surely touching on the reader will end
your current journey, and when you touch out at the DLR station you get
Off at, it will start a new journey?

Old November 30th 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Oter wrote:
If you interchange with the DLR at Bank you need to touch your Oyster
card flat on the yellow reader again on the DLR concourse. If you do
not touch in and out at Bank's DLR concourse you may be charged more
than you need. This is not necessary at other interchange stations."

Which suggests that you *do* need to touch out at the DLR concourse,
though it isn't clear whether you still need to do it if you intend to
exit Bank station though the ticket gates immediately afterwards
(obviously you need to do it if you are using the lift to King William
Street).

If the question is really "did the passenger go through zone 1" then
the same could be the case for other journeys where the user may have
gone on Silverlink:

1. Highbury & Islington to Canary Wharf (DLR): Passenger may have
changed at Stratford or may have gone down to Moorgate on
FirstCapitalConnect then Northern Line to bank then DLR (from
experience this is the quicker route).

2. West Brompton to Stratford (not Jubilee). Could go via Silverlink
all the way changing at Willesden Junction or could take District Line
changing at Mile End.

Old November 30th 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Earl Purple wrote:

Paul Oter wrote:

[...]

Oyster PAYG is not valid on the Silverlink routes in your examples even
though it is "technically" possible to touch-in/out correctly on the
journeys.

But I have noticed another interesting thing about the via-or-not-via
zone 1 question. If I travel from Tottenham Hale to Canada Water by
tube, it charges zone 3-1. Okay. But if I continue to Canary Wharf I
will pay less because it then charges a zone 3-2 only. Then one wonder
how it would be possible to touch in on the tube network at T. Hale and
out at Canary Wharf without going through zone 1...

Okay, I can (and most times do) take the 'one' to Stratford and then DLR
from there, PAYG is valid on that route too, but in that case I have
found out that I have to validate at Stratford too because otherwise the
DLR validator at CW tell me it is an entry when I exit there so I don't
think that is the possible not-via-zone-1 route they are thinking about
here.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Old November 30th 06, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:16:59 GMT, Olof Lagerkvist
wrote:

But I have noticed another interesting thing about the via-or-not-via
zone 1 question. If I travel from Tottenham Hale to Canada Water by
tube, it charges zone 3-1. Okay. But if I continue to Canary Wharf I
will pay less because it then charges a zone 3-2 only. Then one wonder
how it would be possible to touch in on the tube network at T. Hale and
out at Canary Wharf without going through zone 1...

Okay, I can (and most times do) take the 'one' to Stratford and then DLR
from there, PAYG is valid on that route too, but in that case I have
found out that I have to validate at Stratford too because otherwise the
DLR validator at CW tell me it is an entry when I exit there so I don't
think that is the possible not-via-zone-1 route they are thinking about
here.

I assume you validate "in" at Tottenham Hale in your example? You then
validate "in" again at Stratford for DLR and then "out" at Canary Wharf?

I've not investigated the north side of Stratford Station - are there
validators on or near the "one" platforms for trains to Tottenham Hale
(and north thereof)?

If so, a very interesting set of logic at work there.
--
Paul C