Old September 30th 07, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Euston Island

I've just seen this website - http://winstainforth10.foliosnap.com...nels&thumbs=ok
with pictures of some of the abandoned bits of Euston. But there's one
photo - http://winstainforth10.foliosnap.com...tunnels&img=27
- which says that there was originally a bridge onto the old island
platform for the city branch. I've been to euston, and the "other
side" of that photo is half way along the platform. Supposedly its the
original way onto the platforms rather than the 1910s-1960s entrance
at the west end of the platform, which was shared with the Charing
Cross branch.

The only photos I've seen of the island platform are ones showing the
stairs at the west end of the platform. Does anyone have any old
photos/postcards showing the bridge?

Old October 2nd 07, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've just seen this website -
http://winstainforth10.foliosnap.com...nels&thumbs=ok
with pictures of some of the abandoned bits of Euston. But there's one
photo -
http://winstainforth10.foliosnap.com...tunnels&img=27
- which says that there was originally a bridge onto the old island
platform for the city branch. I've been to euston, and the "other
side" of that photo is half way along the platform. Supposedly its the
original way onto the platforms rather than the 1910s-1960s entrance
at the west end of the platform, which was shared with the Charing
Cross branch.

The only photos I've seen of the island platform are ones showing the
stairs at the west end of the platform. Does anyone have any old
photos/postcards showing the bridge?

Hmm. Could be that this is labelled incorrectly.

I always thought that the footbridges that crossed through the platform
tunnels were a feature of the Hampstead Line, and not the C&SL.

To me, this view looks like the bridge is about cross one of what is now the
C+ branch platforms, and on the otherside there would be a staircase down in
between the two platforms.

BTN

Old October 2nd 07, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hmm. Could be that this is labelled incorrectly.

I always thought that the footbridges that crossed through the platform
tunnels were a feature of the Hampstead Line, and not the C&SL.

To me, this view looks like the bridge is about cross one of what is now the
C+ branch platforms, and on the otherside there would be a staircase down in
between the two platforms.

BTN

I thought that when I first read it, but when I next went through
Euston, I had a look at the northbound City branch platform, and there
are two large square holes high up the wall at the back of the
platform, about 1/2 way along the platform. The holes each look like
they would be the other side of the photo.

It can't be a cross bridge on the Hampstead line - there aren't any
holes like that on the platforms at Euston for that branch. Besides,
in the photo, there isn't a hole on the opposite side of the platform
tunnel - so the bridge would have had to have come down from mid air
over the platform. If it was like that it would still be pretty
unusual - more like a metropolitan line thing like at Farringdon,
where the stairs are over the platform itself, rather than off to the
side.

Old October 3rd 07, 12:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Oct 2, 9:11 pm, lonelytraveller
wrote:
[...]

Isn't the northbound City branch platform the one that was built new
along with the Victoria line? Also, it was done up in the style of
the Victoria line, which I don't think matches the wall and lighting
in the picture (could be wrong).

I don't know if bridges cutting through the platform are a feature of
any particular line, but more a feature of a station which doesn't
have an island platform or has platforms diagonally above each other.
(Although I think Oxford Circus Central Line has one across one side
of the island platform.)

So, anyway, there are some stations like that on the Charing Cross
branch. Euston Charing Cross branch has got an island platform though.

Old October 3rd 07, 01:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
(lonelytraveller) wrote:

[...]

But just what would be expected for a side access to an island platform.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old October 3rd 07, 07:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Oct 3, 2:29 am, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article .com,

(lonelytraveller) wrote:
[...]

Isn't the island at Euston Charing Cross branch rather narrow? Would
a staircase fit?

Old October 3rd 07, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
(MIG) wrote:

Isn't the island at Euston Charing Cross branch rather narrow?
Would a staircase fit?

What island at Euston Charing Cross branch? The platforms are in separate
tunnels.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 3rd 07, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 3 Oct, 12:17, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article .com,

(MIG) wrote:
Isn't the island at Euston Charing Cross branch rather narrow?
Would a staircase fit?

What island at Euston Charing Cross branch? The platforms are in separate
tunnels.

Yes, but it's still an island in the sense that the tracks are either
side of a single paved area that you can walk across, so there is no
need for a bridge from one side to the other (although there may a
bridge be for side access to the middle of the platform).

The wall down the middle can vary in thickness. I am not sure if it's
wide enough for a staircase at Euston, but could be wrong.

Old October 4th 07, 01:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

The northbound City branch is the one where the platform was widened
over the southbound tracks - the tunnel containing the platform is
still the same as far as I know; the large holes in the wall are
certainly still there half way along on the platform side, up in the
air.