Old October 3rd 07, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Am I the only person who likes Bendy Buses

On Oct 3, 2:13 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On Oct 3, 1:22 pm, MIG wrote:

I was only writing for myself, but as a passenger I don't like them
because of having to stand, but in that situation I am indeed
insulated from the concerns of the pedestrians affected by the vehicle
that I am in.

The reason you normally have to stand on a bendy is that they've only
been deployed on the busiest routes where you'd be standing regardless
of what bus they use - bendies only have a fraction fewer seats. And
no one who's stood on a double decker with more than a handful of
other people would volunteer to do it again.

Well I could always get a seat downstairs on a d/d 25 mid-way along
the route before it was made "free". Now it's full of people
travelling from end-to-end for nothing who would have previously used
a combination of LUL and "One" Railway.

Old October 3rd 07, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 3, 12:19 pm, Boltar wrote:
On Oct 3, 10:54 am, wrote:

No, you're not the only person.

A lot of pickpockets, fare-evaders, illegal immigants and other anti-
social scum, from all sections of London's "communities" (including
good 'ole indigenous chav - albeit with a perfected Jamaican accent)
love them too.

You mean the ones left over after the rest of their mates have gone to
sit on the top deck of a double decker smoking spliffs and idley
playing with flick knives?

B2003

YES! but on a d/d I avoid them as I stay downstairs. Also the need to
pay/show some form of pass deterred a lot. Ken's free travel for the
supposed under-16's has largely removed that benefit alas, so it seems
TFL gets you either way now.

Old October 3rd 07, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
Boltar writes

Theres been the usual talking heads and waffle on local radio and in
the papers about getting rid of bendy buses again after another one
caught fire. Flammability aside I rather like them. They hoover up the
passengers , theres usual plenty of room , boarding is easy , they have
a nice ride and at the front are rather quiet.

You know, for once I actually totally agree with you... Now I'm scared!
Old October 3rd 07, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

As a cyclist I hate them. They are too long for the roads.

As a cyclist, I have had no problems with them.

Then again, I tend to respect red lights, road laws and other traffic
(I'm not saying you don't of course, but ymmv).
Old October 3rd 07, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 02:37:16 -0700, MIG
wrote:

I think bendy buses are WRONG in every way, but I have actually met
one person who likes them.

I like them, in the right role. Their role is in a European-style bus
system, whose primary purpose is to move very large numbers of people
to and from the rapid transit rail station nearest to their
destination/origin.

That makes them suitable, IMO, for very busy Central London services
(e.g. Oxford St) and for the Red Arrows, but not really for anything
very long-distance.

As for deckers, there are good ones and bad ones. IMO, the latest
Wright design is good, but most others I've seen are unmitigated crap.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old October 3rd 07, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 04:46:41 -0700, MIG
wrote:

1) I almost always have to stand if I use them, because they have less
seats.

I choose to stand on one for a short journey. This is made easier by
there being a bit more space for doing so and no need to traipse up-
and downstairs.

3) The constantly block pedestrian crossings.

Only due to poor driving.

and any other bleedin obvious reasons why 18 m vehicles might not be
appropriate for the winding narrow streets of an old city.

Many other European cities seem not to have an issue. Have you seen
those 16m rigid 6-axle single-deckers? Those must be even more
challenging to drive.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old October 3rd 07, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 07:03:09 -0700, John B wrote:

[also at Thoss - bendies have more doors than deckers. Unless you're
going to turn the entire bottom deck into doors, which is a bit
pointless, then you simply can't get the same passenger throughput]

If your aim is to have a decker that would reduce conflicts and
therefore speed up throughput, a Berlin-style arrangement with a front
and rear door (on at the front and off at the back) and two sets of
stairs (up at the front, down at the back) would be very worthy of
consideration.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old October 3rd 07, 06:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

A better question would be - who the hell thought double deckers were
ever a good idea? Apart from taking up less roadspace

And you don't think in a heavily crowded city like London that this
one factor alone makes double-deckers eminently suitable and
sensible??

Have you actually seen the end-to-end carpet of red metal that now
lines both lanes of Oxford Street permanently?!

I am just waiting for a University rag committee to suggest a new
sport of bus-roof-hopping down Oxford Street - easily achievable, and
far quicker than actually travelling IN one of those red things!

Marc.

Old October 3rd 07, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:46:23 -0700, "
wrote:

Have you actually seen the end-to-end carpet of red metal that now
lines both lanes of Oxford Street permanently?!

The problem with Oxford Street, apart from just "too many buses", is
that both the traffic light phasing and the bus stop layout is
utterly, utterly broken, and needs to be redesigned bearing in mind
that people can no longer just ignore it like they did on the
Routemasters.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old October 3rd 07, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Oct 3, 6:08 pm, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

As a cyclist I hate them. They are too long for the roads.

As a cyclist, I have had no problems with them.

Then again, I tend to respect red lights, road laws and other traffic
(I'm not saying you don't of course, but ymmv).

Bendy bus drivers don't or can't, unfortunately.

I am starting to take photographs of them when they park on pedestrian
crossings and so on, showing their yellow number.