Old February 1st 07, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Person under train at Stratford

So some idiot jumped under a train at one of the 'one' platform at
Stratford station. Obviously the train was stopped, people removed,
etc, etc. But why did they shut down the entire station? Central line
was suspended (even though it could pass the station), DLR was
suspended, Jubilee, North London - everything... why increase the
trouble?

P.S. Not to mention 4 fireman brigades and several police cars that
arrived at the station. Wouldn't one of each be enough?

Old February 2nd 07, 04:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"alex_t" wrote in message
ups.com...
So some idiot jumped under a train at one of the 'one' platform at
Stratford station. Obviously the train was stopped, people removed,
etc, etc. But why did they shut down the entire station? Central line
was suspended (even though it could pass the station), DLR was
suspended, Jubilee, North London - everything... why increase the
trouble?

P.S. Not to mention 4 fireman brigades and several police cars that
arrived at the station. Wouldn't one of each be enough?

Sadly we live in an americanised society and they were being over cautious
so that they could not be sued for any damages.

Old February 2nd 07, 07:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 1, 8:17 pm, "alex_t" wrote:
So some idiot jumped under a train at one of the 'one' platform at
Stratford station. Obviously the train was stopped, people removed,
etc, etc. But why did they shut down the entire station? Central line
was suspended (even though it could pass the station), DLR was
suspended, Jubilee, North London - everything... why increase the
trouble?

P.S. Not to mention 4 fireman brigades and several police cars that
arrived at the station. Wouldn't one of each be enough?

I haven't seen a news story, but do we know for sure that someone
jumped under a train? What if it was a suspected murder, with someone
possibly leaving evidence around the station as they escaped? I mean,
from someone being under a train, one could imagine any number of
scenarios.

Old February 2nd 07, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Feb, 08:10, "MIG" wrote:
On Feb 1, 8:17 pm, "alex_t" wrote:

So some idiot jumped under a train at one of the 'one' platform at
Stratford station. Obviously the train was stopped, people removed,
etc, etc. But why did they shut down the entire station? Central line
was suspended (even though it could pass the station), DLR was
suspended, Jubilee, North London - everything... why increase the
trouble?

P.S. Not to mention 4 fireman brigades and several police cars that
arrived at the station. Wouldn't one of each be enough?

I haven't seen a news story, but do we know for sure that someone
jumped under a train? What if it was a suspected murder, with someone
possibly leaving evidence around the station as they escaped? I mean,
from someone being under a train, one could imagine any number of
scenarios.

It would also be nice if people here could show a little compassion -
it is nigh on impossible to envisage what someone trying to kill
themselves has going through their mind, but I imagine it is both
extremely complicated and not always very rational. When someone has
got to such a state they feel death is the better option we should
have pitty for them.

Old February 2nd 07, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

To start with it was under the WB Central Line, not the 'One' up local
platform. This locality meant that the DLR had to run in and out empty
as it exists onto the platform affected and 'One GE' up local services
non-stop because of the comparatively narrow space on the joint LU/NR
WB/Up island. EB and Down services could have continued to stop
(Central Line until the number of EB trains ran out) but there was the
issue of keeping the access subways clear for emergency services. Most
certainly the Jubilee Line could, and should, have been kept running,
especially as emergency access/egress was available via the staff
parking area to the west of the station. Unfortunately as there was
suspicion that the victim had been pushed, or that it was a double
suicide bid (a second person suffered a broken leg) the whole area was
sealed off as a potential crime scene by an over-zealous BTP
inspector. Believe me there was high-level pressure from within LU to
get at least the Jubilee area re-opened but nowadays the police are a
law unto themselves and seem to have little regard as to the 'bigger
picture' during incidents of this kind.

Old February 2nd 07, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I had no idea it was Central line. I heard 'one' from one of the staff
members...
It explains almost everything then (well, except Jubilee).

P.S. 'one' one one... :-X

Old February 2nd 07, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ups.com,
Tom Page typed:

It would also be nice if people here could show a little compassion -
it is nigh on impossible to envisage what someone trying to kill
themselves has going through their mind, but I imagine it is both
extremely complicated and not always very rational. When someone has
got to such a state they feel death is the better option we should
have pitty for them.

It's also nigh on impossible to envisage what somebody clearing up
afterwards has going through their mind. It would be nice for them to
be able to get on with their job without the worry of trains moving
around them and without them having people gawping at their unpleasant
task.

--
Bob

Old February 2nd 07, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

An edited chronology of events from the LU intranet:

19.27 - male identified as beneath second car
19.33 - LFB and LAS on site
19.48 - male confirmed as deceased and incident as deliberate act
19.54 - Breakdown lorries on site - state male in 'four foot'.
20.20 - Duty Manager Trains and police investigating CCTV tapes to
determine cause of incident, prior to removal of body.
20.45 - CCTV evidence inconclusive, police interviewing further
witnesses
21.10 - Stratford (Jubilee) re-open.
21.38 - police advise non-suspicious following further witness
statements
21.47 - traction current charged to move train back
21.56 - train moving back over body
22.05 - current off to remove body
22.20 - body off track onto platform
22.24 - incident train on move
22.25 - service resumed, with Stratford remaining closed
22.51 - Stratford open

Old February 4th 07, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

If there is ever a suspicion that a "one under" was a deliberate act
by another party, it's almost always a much longer job - entire
station closed, scene of crime officers called in etc. etc.
Sounds to me that, under the circumstances, it didn't take an
unreasonable amount of time. And let's face it, if that was your
loved one under the train, you'd want them to ensure that no evidence
was missed even if it did mean more inconvenience to other people.

Old February 4th 07, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Feb, 17:07, wrote:
If there is ever a suspicion that a "one under" was a deliberate act
by another party, it's almost always a much longer job - entire
station closed, scene of crime officers called in etc. etc.
Sounds to me that, under the circumstances, it didn't take an
unreasonable amount of time. And let's face it, if that was your
loved one under the train, you'd want them to ensure that no evidence
was missed even if it did mean more inconvenience to other people.

Does anyone know how many "one unders" are deliberate acts by third
parties?