Old October 10th 07, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default ELL construction work

On Oct 9, 1:14 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:

The new ELL depot is under construction in the Silwood Triangle, at the
north end of Landemann Way.

Hang on, Silwood Triangle? That was abandoned in favour of building
the depot further south, in the triangle north of where the New Cross
Gate branch meets the main line (and the flyover will run straight
through the middle of it). Maybe what you're seeing is a worksite for
the tunnel rebuild?

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old October 10th 07, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

PhilD wrote:
On 10 Oct, 08:38, "Clive D. W. Feather" cl...@on-the-
train.demon.co.uk wrote:
My understanding is that it will be both. Nothing will terminate at
NXG, so there'd be no point in retaining a bay platform.

Ordinarily, nothing will terminate at New Cross Gate. The intention
is to be able to reverse south-to-north in the down platform in the
event of (severe) disruption to maintain a service on the non-national
rail bit.

Naturally, it would be rather awkward reversing on the main line.

From the passenger's point of view, it would be better if they reverse in
the up platform.

Old October 10th 07, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mr Thant wrote:
On Oct 9, 1:14 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:

The new ELL depot is under construction in the Silwood Triangle,
at the north end of Landemann Way.

Hang on, Silwood Triangle? That was abandoned in favour of building
the depot further south, in the triangle north of where the New Cross
Gate branch meets the main line (and the flyover will run straight
through the middle of it).

Actually, Silwood was dropped in favour of putting the depot in Selhurst. I
stopped following the plot after that. But the security guard at the Silwood
Triangle told me that they are building the depot there.

Old October 10th 07, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 10 Oct, 13:58, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Actually, Silwood was dropped in favour of putting the depot in Selhurst. I
stopped following the plot after that. But the security guard at the Silwood
Triangle told me that they are building the depot there.

Bombardier say New Cross Gate:
http://www.bombardier.com/en/0_0/pre...724&sCateg=1_0

And if you dig through Lewisham Council's planning website you can
find detailed drawings of it:
http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/ACOLLATEDOCS/18772_2.pdf

So I'm pretty certain depots at Silwood or Selhurst aren't happening.

Old October 10th 07, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 10 Oct, 12:14, MIG wrote:
The existing ELL platform was a through platform until relatively
recently (if not used as such). I've noticed in the last couple of
years that the track continuing south has been taken up, but I don't
know when it happened. Maybe too much trouble to maintain.

As far as I can recall there hasn't been any through track there since
at least 1999 (when I moved to the area). But I could be wrong.

Went through NXG today at about midday and there were quite a few
workmen clearing the ground at the end of the ELL platform in
preparation to put the track back!

Patrick

Old October 10th 07, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 10 Oct, 12:14, MIG wrote:
The existing ELL platform was a through platform until relatively
recently (if not used as such). I've noticed in the last couple of
years that the track continuing south has been taken up, but I don't
know when it happened. Maybe too much trouble to maintain.

As far as I can recall there hasn't been any through track there since
at least 1999 (when I moved to the area). But I could be wrong.

Went through NXG today at about midday and there were quite a few
workmen clearing the ground at the end of the ELL platform in
preparation to put the track back!

I have a vague rocollection, probably from the 1990s, of the track still
being in situ, but unusable because someone had planted a LUL type stop
light in the four foot.

Peter

Old October 10th 07, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mr Thant wrote:
On 10 Oct, 13:58, "John Rowland"
wrote:

But the security
guard at the Silwood Triangle told me that they are building the
depot there.

And if you dig through Lewisham Council's planning website you can
find detailed drawings of it:
http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/ACOLLATEDOCS/18772_2.pdf

So I'm pretty certain depots at Silwood or Selhurst aren't happening.

D'oh! The diagram on page 5 shows exactly what I saw being constructed off
Juno Way. I thought it looked like a railway depot, because I could see the
foundation for the tracks, but I trusted the answers of the security guards.

However, a large building is definitely being constructed in the Silwood
Triangle, and there is Underground branding on the security fence.

Old October 10th 07, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On 10 Oct, 14:35, "Peter Masson" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... On 10 Oct, 12:14, MIG wrote:
The existing ELL platform was a through platform until relatively
recently (if not used as such). I've noticed in the last couple of
years that the track continuing south has been taken up, but I don't
know when it happened. Maybe too much trouble to maintain.

As far as I can recall there hasn't been any through track there since
at least 1999 (when I moved to the area). But I could be wrong.

Went through NXG today at about midday and there were quite a few
workmen clearing the ground at the end of the ELL platform in
preparation to put the track back!

I have a vague rocollection, probably from the 1990s, of the track still
being in situ, but unusable because someone had planted a LUL type stop
light in the four foot.

To me, relatively recently means since 1975 ... in any case, it can't
be a major job to reopen the track.

Old October 10th 07, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 10 Oct, 14:40, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Mr Thant wrote:
On 10 Oct, 13:58, "John Rowland"
wrote:

But the security
guard at the Silwood Triangle told me that they are building the
depot there.

And if you dig through Lewisham Council's planning website you can
find detailed drawings of it:
http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/ACOLLATEDOCS/18772_2.pdf

So I'm pretty certain depots at Silwood or Selhurst aren't happening.

D'oh! The diagram on page 5 shows exactly what I saw being constructed off
Juno Way. I thought it looked like a railway depot, because I could see the
foundation for the tracks, but I trusted the answers of the security guards.

However, a large building is definitely being constructed in the Silwood
Triangle, and there is Underground branding on the security fence.

Damn, blast, etc, Thanters got there first! I was really looking
forward to correcting the great John Rowland when I first read this
thread this morning but I've only got around to coming back here now.

Depots are being built at both New Cross Gate (south of Juno Way) and
at Silwood Triangle... but they're different types of depot! The New
Cross Gate depot will be the permanent depot for the London Overground
rolling stock (or at least some of it), whilst the Silwood Triangle
site will be a works depot.

And after the ELLX is built the Silwood Triangle site is pencilled in
to be used as a works depot for the Thameslink Project aka Thameslink
2000 - specifically as a works depot for the flyovers and flyunders
that are to be constructed in Bermondsey on the approaches to London
Bridge - so not on the viaduct adjacent to the site but a bit further
north-west, but perhaps works material can be transported either by
rail or along the track bed up to the Bermondsey site.

Another part of Silwood Traingle is in use by a new car pound (Capital
Pounds), which is used by Lambeth council.

I'm sure I posted this all a while back in September in another thread
but Google Groups isn't finding it so either I just drafted it and
never posted it and I'm losing it, or GG is (or was) playing up again
- I post to usenet using GG, and at least one other post I made around
that time which started a new thread doesn't appear in the archive
although replies to it do appear.

Anyway I did a lot of searching around on the Lewisham council website
for that post which I'm not going to repeat now, but all the
information above appears on their website mainly in planning
permission documents.

Old October 14th 07, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mr Thant wrote:

On 9 Oct, 11:50, Standing at HN28 signal
wrote:
The work has been underway for a while now. No sign of the old new
cross gate sidingr. From what i could see from the cab it looks like
it could be a diveunder rather than flyover though.

Definitely a flyover. They should be building quite substantial
embankments either side. A diveunder means closing the line for a long
time, whereas a bridge can be lifted in on a weekend.

Any idea why they are building up embankments?
On the approaches to Amsterdam there is a new line being built on
'stilts' - just like the elevated sections of the M5/6 in the W. Mids.

Surely that way would be much easier, and quicker to build than raising
an embankment to a suitable level?
Alan.