Old May 12th 13, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default ELL shut today "due to Network Rail engineering work" - hmm...

From TfL's live travel news page, details on LO line closures today...

---quote---
No service between Dalston Junction and New Cross Gate/New Cross on
Sunday 12 May due to Network Rail engineering work. [...]

No service between New Cross Gate and West Croydon on Sunday 12 May due
to engineering works. [...]

No service between Sydenham and Crystal Palace on Sunday 12 May due to
engineering works. [...]

No service between Surrey Quays and Clapham Junction on Sunday 12 May
due to Network Rail engineering works. [...]

No service between Highbury and Islington and Dalston Junction on Sunday
12 May due to engineering work. [...]

No service between Watford Junction and Euston on Sunday 12 May due to
engineering works. [...]
---/quote---

Thing is, the line twixt Dalston Junction and New Cross/ NXG is neither
owned nor maintained by Network Rail - it's owned by TfL London Rail,
and maintained under contract by Carillion.

Odd that Network Rail gets specifically mentioned up on a line it's not
responsible for, whilst it doesn't get a mention on the other lines it
*is* responsible for (ok, it does get a mention re Surrey Quays to
Clapham Jn, for which it is responsible for south of the new junction
located just north of Queens Road Peckham - which must have a name,
perhaps the Old Kent Rd Junction?).

Old May 13th 13, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote in
:

I understand (from the weekly E Mail) the work is "waterproofing works
at Canada Water"

Sponsored by Canada Dry perhaps?

Peter

--
|| Peter CS ~ Epsom ~ UK | pjcs02 [at] gmail.com |
Old May 13th 13, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/05/2013 12:20, Mizter T wrote:
From TfL's live travel news page, details on LO line closures today...

---quote---
No service between Dalston Junction and New Cross Gate/New Cross on
Sunday 12 May due to Network Rail engineering work. [...]

No service between New Cross Gate and West Croydon on Sunday 12 May due
to engineering works. [...]

There was new track being laid just south of Honor Oak Park on Sunday,
but that was on the through line, I could see it from the bus stop.

[...]

Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.
Old May 16th 13, 07:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I think they use a different phrase now but it used to amuse me that in the weekly Weekend Engineering Work e-mail TfL line closures were always described as 'while we improve xxx' while NR closures were described just as 'maintenance work'
Old May 16th 13, 07:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
00:23:00 on Thu, 16 May 2013, Jon P
remarked:
I think they use a different phrase now but it used to amuse me that in the weekly Weekend Engineering Work e-mail TfL line closures were
always described as 'while we improve xxx' while NR closures were described just as 'maintenance work'

The numerous weekend bustitutions currently being suffered in the Ely
area are described by NR as arising from "route improvement" work.