Old October 10th 07, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Electronic ads on the tube - good idea enviromentally?

LUL seem to be falling in love with electronic ads , whether they be
the LCD monitor type such as all the way up the main escalators at
Tottenham court road or the projection type being tried out at Euston.
An article in the metrotravel section in Metro today wibbles on about
how it'll save lots of stuff from going to landfill but surely the
extra electricty used will more than outweigh any small advantages
gained from no paper waste?

B2003

Old October 10th 07, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
LUL seem to be falling in love with electronic ads , whether they be
the LCD monitor type such as all the way up the main escalators at
Tottenham court road or the projection type being tried out at
Euston.
An article in the metrotravel section in Metro today wibbles on
about
how it'll save lots of stuff from going to landfill but surely the
extra electricty used will more than outweigh any small advantages
gained from no paper waste?

B2003

Not to mention the additional heat that will be generated by dozens of
LCD panels. Just as LU finally seem to be thinking about cooling the
trains (well, the sub-surface ones anyway), they decide to add a bit
more heat to the deep-level tube escalator shafts. That's joined-up
thinking for you.

Old October 10th 07, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 10 Oct, 16:52, Boltar wrote:
LUL seem to be falling in love with electronic ads , whether they be
the LCD monitor type such as all the way up the main escalators at
Tottenham court road or the projection type being tried out at Euston.
An article in the metrotravel section in Metro today wibbles on about
how it'll save lots of stuff from going to landfill but surely the
extra electricty used will more than outweigh any small advantages
gained from no paper waste?

B2003

I doubt it though. The cardboard has to be moved around in trucks,
and then again when it's disposed of. The printing machinery must use
a lot of electricity. The card, ink etc all has to be manufactured.
As long as the screens don't have to be replaced very often, I would
have guessed that there was a saving.

Old October 10th 07, 05:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Oct, 16:52, Boltar wrote:
LUL seem to be falling in love with electronic ads , whether they be
the LCD monitor type such as all the way up the main escalators at
Tottenham court road or the projection type being tried out at Euston.
An article in the metrotravel section in Metro today wibbles on about
how it'll save lots of stuff from going to landfill but surely the
extra electricty used will more than outweigh any small advantages
gained from no paper waste?

B2003

I thought that Blair had made LUL pass responsibility for tube
advertising over to another company - wouldn't it be the external
company that's so in love with electronic ads?

I personally think they are an absolutely appalling idea - its bad
enough being assaulted with television adverts, and adverts on the
piped music in tesco. At least paper adverts are more passive.

Old October 10th 07, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Boltar wrote:

LUL seem to be falling in love with electronic ads , whether they be the
LCD monitor type such as all the way up the main escalators at Tottenham
court road or the projection type being tried out at Euston. An article
in the metrotravel section in Metro today wibbles on about how it'll
save lots of stuff from going to landfill but surely the extra
electricty used will more than outweigh any small advantages gained from
no paper waste?

Also, it's not as if display screens are waste-free - they do get thrown
away eventually, and there are all sorts of nasties in them. A friend of
mine works on this for the EPA in the US - it's called E-waste:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-waste

And it's a surprisingly big problem.

tom

--
NO REAL THAN YOU ARE -- The Zandvoort Man

Old October 10th 07, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Oct, 19:01, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Boltar wrote:
LUL seem to be falling in love with electronic ads , whether they be the
LCD monitor type such as all the way up the main escalators at Tottenham
court road or the projection type being tried out at Euston. An article
in the metrotravel section in Metro today wibbles on about how it'll
save lots of stuff from going to landfill but surely the extra
electricty used will more than outweigh any small advantages gained from
no paper waste?

Also, it's not as if display screens are waste-free - they do get thrown
away eventually, and there are all sorts of nasties in them. A friend of
mine works on this for the EPA in the US - it's called E-waste:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-waste

And it's a surprisingly big problem.

tom

I'd say it's a massive problem - not sure how surprising it is though,
given the disposable consumer electronics age in which we live and are
all a part of.

I've got a box of broken electronic bits I'd like to recycle, kept on
the understanding that doing so was going to get easier in the future.
Alas there's no sign of me being able to do so easily anytime soon.

Plus when you do recycle such items they sometimes find themselves in
some totally unsafe recycling operation in Shenzen, where some poor
******* spends his days de-soldering components whilst breathing in
toxic fumes.

Ah, the information age - isn't it wonderful.

Old October 10th 07, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 10, 5:12 pm, MIG wrote:
I doubt it though. The cardboard has to be moved around in trucks,
and then again when it's disposed of. The printing machinery must use
a lot of electricity. The card, ink etc all has to be manufactured.
As long as the screens don't have to be replaced very often, I would
have guessed that there was a saving.

True , but you'd probably only have one van delivering to quite a few
stations (I'm guessing , I have no idea, but based on what other
businesses do...) . Whether that and the manufacturing would
ultimately use more energy than having say 50 monitors on in each
station 12 hours a day I guess could be debated endlessly especially
when you take into account manufacture of them monitors and all the
computer equipment too which I'd guess will have a life of 5 years
before it gets replaced.

Incidentaly , does LU get much revenue from ads? I've noticed most of
the TOCs don't seem to bother much these days , certainly not inside
their trains anyway. Even ads on stations seem to be fairly few and
far between once your away from the main termini.

B2003

Old October 10th 07, 11:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Oct, 22:57, Boltar wrote:

(snip)

Incidentaly , does LU get much revenue from ads? I've noticed most of
the TOCs don't seem to bother much these days , certainly not inside
their trains anyway. Even ads on stations seem to be fairly few and
far between once your away from the main termini.

B2003

!

LU gets loads of money from ads - it's very lucrative.

CBS Outdoor (was Viacom Outdoor until 2006) handles all advertising on
LU, and also offers advertising on parts of the rail network and
buses.

http://www.cbsoutdoor.co.uk/