London Banter

-   -   "Queen to open St Pancras station" today (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5823-queen-open-st-pancras-station.html)

Sarah Brown November 9th 07 07:32 AM

"Queen to open St Pancras station" today

In article ,
Mike Roebuck wrote:
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:40:02 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

I presume we won't be allowed into most of St Pancras when the Eurostars
start running, but are we allowed to explore it now?

I took a look round yesterday lunchtime. Unless you were taking part
in the IVT trials,

I was involved in the IVT trials, but I'm not allowed to talk about
what I saw in there because of the confidentiality agreement. Much of
the concourse was still behind hoardings anyway, due to retail
fit-out, so I didn't really get a feel for what it'll be like in there
when everything is open.

Pyromancer November 9th 07 03:32 PM

"Queen to open St Pancras station" today

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Paul Scott
gently breathed:

Its that difficult to understand sign that usually gets referred to as
'Danger - low flying motorbikes' - most car drivers are pretty well aware of
the normal 'No Entry' sign...

The no-entry sign applies to all vehicles, while the "low flying bikes"
one can be plated to modify its meaning. The DfT discourages plating
the "no entry" sign as that tends to lead to abuse, drivers already
routinely abuse "low flying bikes" signs plated "except for access" by
claiming they are accessing something beyond the restriction, when in
fact they should be taking an alternative route round it.

There are plated "no entry" signs at a bus gate just outside my office
which are regularly abused.

--
- DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. http://www.sheepish.net
Hard Rock, Leeds http://www.hard-rock.org.uk

Paul Scott November 9th 07 03:47 PM

"Pyromancer" wrote in message
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Paul Scott
gently breathed:

Its that difficult to understand sign that usually gets referred to as
'Danger - low flying motorbikes' - most car drivers are pretty well aware
of
the normal 'No Entry' sign...

The no-entry sign applies to all vehicles, while the "low flying bikes"
one can be plated to modify its meaning. The DfT discourages plating the
"no entry" sign as that tends to lead to abuse, drivers already routinely
abuse "low flying bikes" signs plated "except for access" by claiming they
are accessing something beyond the restriction, when in fact they should
be taking an alternative route round it.

There are plated "no entry" signs at a bus gate just outside my office
which are regularly abused.

Sad to say, the only thing that'd keep ordinary cars out would be a physical
barrier, or rising bollards, but then you'd get people trying to tailgate an
allowed vehicle through. Having said that, its having it mixed up amongst
an ordinary traffic light controlled crossroads that doesn't help, across
the road there is a dedicated taxi lane that allows northbound taxis to go
round to Midland Rd, bypassing the lights etc, now that seems more resistant
to ordinary cars for some reason...

Paul

Peter Masson November 9th 07 04:19 PM

"Queen to open St Pancras station" today

"Pyromancer" wrote

The no-entry sign applies to all vehicles, while the "low flying bikes"
one can be plated to modify its meaning. The DfT discourages plating
the "no entry" sign as that tends to lead to abuse,

I suspect that 'No Entry (except buses)' would suffer less abuse (though not
zero) than 'No Motor Vehicles (except buses)'

I am not sure how it is signed currently, but at one time Tyburn Way at
Marble Arch was signed 'No Entry' at the north end, and 'No Entry (except
buses on route 500)' at the south end .

Peter

Charles Ellson November 9th 07 06:00 PM

"Queen to open St Pancras station" today

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:19:13 -0000, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

"Pyromancer" wrote

The no-entry sign applies to all vehicles, while the "low flying bikes"
one can be plated to modify its meaning. The DfT discourages plating
the "no entry" sign as that tends to lead to abuse,

I suspect that 'No Entry (except buses)' would suffer less abuse (though not
zero) than 'No Motor Vehicles (except buses)'

The former would affect all road traffic (including cycles) while the
latter would not.

I am not sure how it is signed currently, but at one time Tyburn Way at
Marble Arch was signed 'No Entry' at the north end, and 'No Entry (except
buses on route 500)' at the south end .

When I last saw it ISTR the route-specific bit wasn't there.

John Rowland November 10th 07 12:51 AM

Paul Scott wrote:

most car drivers are pretty well
aware of the normal 'No Entry' sign...

In South London they're aware it means "Enter this road in reverse gear".

Mystery Flyer November 10th 07 07:12 AM

John Rowland wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:
most car drivers are pretty well
aware of the normal 'No Entry' sign...

In South London they're aware it means "Enter this road in reverse gear".

I think you mean "Enta" not "Enter" in "Sarf" dialect.

Colin Rosenstiel November 10th 07 11:45 PM

(Pyromancer) wrote:

The DfT discourages plating
the "no entry" sign as that tends to lead to abuse, drivers already
routinely abuse "low flying bikes" signs plated "except for access"
by claiming they are accessing something beyond the restriction,
when in fact they should be taking an alternative route round it.

Almost every motorist seems to assume that all "low flying bikes" signs
are plated "except for access", whether they are or not. :-(

--
Colin Rosenstiel

David Cantrell November 14th 07 11:43 AM

wrote:
I suspect that 'No Entry (except buses)' would suffer less abuse (though not
zero) than 'No Motor Vehicles (except buses)'

The former would affect all road traffic (including cycles) while the
latter would not.

But the rules don't apply to bicycles anyway surely.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

Guns aren't the problem. People who deserve to die are the problem.

Colin Rosenstiel November 14th 07 12:31 PM

"Queen to open St Pancras station" today

In article ,
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

Whilst the trainshed part of the station appears nearly finished, the
undercroft areas would still appear to be requiring a fair bit more
work - it is however hard to tell, given that there's no public

access
to these areas. There were lots of workmen wearing hi-vis jackets
stating "Retail fit-out", so perhaps things are nearing completion.
Still plenty of other workmen around the place beavering away at this
and that though.

They were still working away furiously today. The M&S Food shop looked
even more skeletal than normal. They also have to remove the enclosed
scaffold from the opening ceremony which was still obstructing much of
the area open to the public at street level today.

I wandered through the public undercroft area this morning. The scaffold
is gone so the area is now light and open. Only 3 shops, those nearest to
the LU Western Ticket Hall, were open. M&S Food store said it would open
on Friday 16th at 7 am.

There seemed to be a lot of people up in the champagne bar. Some sort of
opening party?

--
Colin Rosenstiel