Old November 14th 07, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

Default London Underground Ventilation Shafts

Hi

Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of London
Underground ventilation shafts, used and disused? I went to a lecture
recently and they said there were 190 of them in total.

Thanks in advance

Rob Smith

Old November 14th 07, 05:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 Nov, 13:42, Rob wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of London
Underground ventilation shafts, used and disused? I went to a lecture
recently and they said there were 190 of them in total.

Thanks in advance

Rob Smith

If I were TFL I'd keep quiet about them. You might be a nutter or
terrorist for all we know.

Old November 14th 07, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"contrex" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 14 Nov, 13:42, Rob wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of London
Underground ventilation shafts, used and disused? I went to a lecture
recently and they said there were 190 of them in total.

Thanks in advance

Rob Smith

If I were TFL I'd keep quiet about them. You might be a nutter or
terrorist for all we know.

Have you tried calling 0207 222 1234?

Old November 14th 07, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"James Farrar" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:13:02 GMT, wrote:

"contrex" wrote in message
groups.com...
On 14 Nov, 13:42, Rob wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of London
Underground ventilation shafts, used and disused? I went to a lecture
recently and they said there were 190 of them in total.

Thanks in advance

Rob Smith

If I were TFL I'd keep quiet about them. You might be a nutter or
terrorist for all we know.

Have you tried calling 0207 222 1234?

No such number.

Your winding me up.

Old November 14th 07, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.telecom

On Nov 14, 11:25 am, James Farrar wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:13:02 GMT, wrote:

"contrex" wrote in message
roups.com...
On 14 Nov, 13:42, Rob wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of London
Underground ventilation shafts, used and disused? I went to a lecture
recently and they said there were 190 of them in total.

Thanks in advance

Rob Smith

If I were TFL I'd keep quiet about them. You might be a nutter or
terrorist for all we know.

Have you tried calling 0207 222 1234?

No such number.

Quite so. 020-7222 1234, or +44 20 7222 1234, would be the correct
number.

Still, I doubt they will divulge the information you seek.

Adrian

Old November 14th 07, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rob wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of London
Underground ventilation shafts, used and disused? I went to a lecture
recently and they said there were 190 of them in total.

If you know how many there are, finding most or all of them shouldn't be
that hard. I've found a few, and I wasn't particularly looking for them. I
think the only one which you would never find unless you knew it was there
would be the one inside the Greathead statue on a traffic island in the
middle of Cornhill.

Old November 14th 07, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 Nov, 19:25, James Farrar wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:13:02 GMT, wrote:

"contrex" wrote in message
roups.com...
On 14 Nov, 13:42, Rob wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of London
Underground ventilation shafts, used and disused? I went to a lecture
recently and they said there were 190 of them in total.

Thanks in advance

Rob Smith

If I were TFL I'd keep quiet about them. You might be a nutter or
terrorist for all we know.

Have you tried calling 0207 222 1234?

No such number.

Let me be a pedant back at you - there is such a number, the spacing
between the individual digits doesn't change the fact that if one
dialled it it would work - hence it is a valid telephone number.

Yes yes it isn't written in the 'approved' format, but thousands
(millions?) of Londoners do the same and manage just fine.

Yes, I use the 'correct' format, but I don't let the fact that others
don't wind me up! You should get over to uk.telecom - this 'mistake'
regularly has the inhabitants thereof completely frothing at the mouth
and winding each other up into a state of absolute indignation - I kid
you not!

Old November 14th 07, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.railway

On Nov 14, 1:09 pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 14 Nov, 19:25, James Farrar wrote:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:13:02 GMT, wrote:

"contrex" wrote in message
roups.com...
On 14 Nov, 13:42, Rob wrote:
[...]

Would that it were that simple. The implication is that one can dial
222 1234 within a notional STD code of "0207" AND expect to be
connected. I have heard that there are a handful of exchanges within
London were that does work. However the standard is now eight digit
local numbers within London. Dialing eight digits within STD code
"020" will always work.

Adrian

Old November 14th 07, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message om, Mizter
T writes

Have you tried calling 0207 222 1234?

No such number.

Let me be a pedant back at you - there is such a number, the spacing
between the individual digits doesn't change the fact that if one
dialled it it would work - hence it is a valid telephone number.

Yes yes it isn't written in the 'approved' format, but thousands
(millions?) of Londoners do the same and manage just fine.

Yes, I use the 'correct' format, but I don't let the fact that others
don't wind me up! You should get over to uk.telecom - this 'mistake'
regularly has the inhabitants thereof completely frothing at the mouth
and winding each other up into a state of absolute indignation - I kid
you not!

Except that living in London, the implication of that spacing is that I
can dump this non existent 'area code' of 0207 and just dial 222 1234,
which we all know won't work.

London never ever had 0207 or 0208 dialling codes. It's some myth put
about by the media every time they have a slow news day and they attempt
to provoke some outrage that Londoners will be confused by these 'new
0203 codes' or somesuch rubbish. London dialling codes went from 01 to
071/081 to 0171/0181 to 020. Nothing more, nothing less.