Old August 9th 08, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ventilation Victoria Line

After another grim morning on Friday, I wonder why the ventilation on
the Victoria Line is so bad ? If you change to the Piccadilly at
Finsbury Park it's like entering a different world. So if the Picc Line
can stay reasonably fresh why can't the Vic Line ? Even with the
trains at full hurtle little air seems to move about the carriage.

--
Edward Cowling Stop Thatcher's State Funeral
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/thatchfuneral/

Old August 9th 08, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
After another grim morning on Friday, I wonder why the ventilation on
the Victoria Line is so bad ? If you change to the Piccadilly at
Finsbury Park it's like entering a different world. So if the Picc
Line can stay reasonably fresh why can't the Vic Line ? Even with
the trains at full hurtle little air seems to move about the carriage.

The Victoria Line is completely underground, except for the depot. The Picc
has several open air sections.

Old August 9th 08, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Aug, 14:22, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

After another grim morning on Friday, I wonder why the ventilation on
the Victoria Line is so bad ? If you change to the Piccadilly at
Finsbury Park it's like entering a different world. So if the Picc
Line can stay reasonably fresh why can't the Vic Line ? Even with
the trains at full hurtle little air seems to move about the carriage.

The Victoria Line is completely underground, except for the depot. The Picc
has several open air sections.

Except that 5 miles inside the tunnel that shouldn't make any
difference. In hot weather the trains sit and bake in the sun when
outside so they're probably hotter than a vic train when they enter
it. My guess would be the very high service level on the vic. You can
wait at finsbury park and sometimes literally 4 vic trains can go by
for 1 piccadilly.

B2003
Old August 9th 08, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
After another grim morning on Friday, I wonder why the ventilation on
the Victoria Line is so bad ? If you change to the Piccadilly at
Finsbury Park it's like entering a different world. So if the Picc
Line can stay reasonably fresh why can't the Vic Line ? Even with
the trains at full hurtle little air seems to move about the carriage.

The Victoria Line is completely underground, except for the depot. The Picc
has several open air sections.

Which makes it sound unlikely the refurb and new trains will help.

Old August 9th 08, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Boltar writes
On 9 Aug, 14:22, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

After another grim morning on Friday, I wonder why the ventilation on
the Victoria Line is so bad ? If you change to the Piccadilly at
Finsbury Park it's like entering a different world. So if the Picc
Line can stay reasonably fresh why can't the Vic Line ? Even with
the trains at full hurtle little air seems to move about the carriage.

The Victoria Line is completely underground, except for the depot. The Picc
has several open air sections.

Except that 5 miles inside the tunnel that shouldn't make any
difference. In hot weather the trains sit and bake in the sun when
outside so they're probably hotter than a vic train when they enter
it. My guess would be the very high service level on the vic. You can
wait at finsbury park and sometimes literally 4 vic trains can go by
for 1 piccadilly.

I have found myself taking the longer Picc Line route on hot days. Not
only because it's cooler, but the trains tend to wait in the station if
there are delays rather than in the tunnel. You can see that "oh hell"
look on peoples faces when a Victoria Line train stops in a tunnel.

Old August 10th 08, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

In message , John Rowland
writes
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
After another grim morning on Friday, I wonder why the ventilation on
the Victoria Line is so bad ? If you change to the Piccadilly at
Finsbury Park it's like entering a different world. So if the Picc
Line can stay reasonably fresh why can't the Vic Line ? Even with
the trains at full hurtle little air seems to move about the carriage.

The Victoria Line is completely underground, except for the depot. The Picc
has several open air sections.

Which makes it sound unlikely the refurb and new trains will help.

They should do. Firstly, they'll have regenerative braking, which means
less of the train's kinetic energy will be turned into heat, so the
tunnels won't get as hot in the first place. Secondly, i understand
they've been designed with better ventilation: what matters is the
temperature on board the train, and this has got as much to do with
airflow between the train and tunnel as with the temperature in the tunnel
itself. I posted a link to a paper on some research about this a few weeks
ago; i don't have it to hand, but i seem to remember that better
ventilation could buy a few degrees of coolness.

tom

--
What we learn about is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our
methods of questioning. -- Werner Heisenberg
Old August 10th 08, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, Tom Anderson wrote:

[...]

This might be of interest - it confirms the regenerative braking and
improved ventilation:

http://www.metronetrail.com/default....=1181842039781

tom

Old August 15th 08, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
In message , John Rowland
writes
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
After another grim morning on Friday, I wonder why the ventilation
on the Victoria Line is so bad ? If you change to the Piccadilly at
Finsbury Park it's like entering a different world. So if the Picc
Line can stay reasonably fresh why can't the Vic Line ? Even with
the trains at full hurtle little air seems to move about the
carriage.

The Victoria Line is completely underground, except for the depot.
The Picc has several open air sections.

Which makes it sound unlikely the refurb and new trains will help.

I think the Picc's 73 stock has the best ventilation system on the
Underground currently. Hopefully the new Victoria Line stock will be even
better. I know they've done a lot of work to improve ventilation in the new
design. Time will tell ...
--
Richard J.