Old December 5th 07, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Yaz Yaz is offline

Default Oyster, can it work for me?

I travel to London once every 3 months and use the Tube from Kings Cross
While there to travel accross the centre. Mainly travel to Vauxhall. and
back to St Pancras. Sometimes I may want to go to morden sometimes? I am
told to get an all zones travelcard? is it worthwhile getting an oystercard.
I already have a free oystercard but currently not loaded with anything?

Yaz

Old December 5th 07, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 22:46:18 GMT, "Yaz"
wrote:

I travel to London once every 3 months and use the Tube from Kings Cross
While there to travel accross the centre. Mainly travel to Vauxhall. and
back to St Pancras. Sometimes I may want to go to morden sometimes? I am
told to get an all zones travelcard? is it worthwhile getting an oystercard.
I already have a free oystercard but currently not loaded with anything?

First important point - Oyster card is just the electronic card and the
brand name. It can hold a Travelcard season ticket *and* also has an
electronic purse that holds cash to allow you to "pay as you go".

You didn't say how many trips you make when in London or how long you
are there for. If you're only here for a few days and making occasional
trips then just add some cash to your Oyster card to "pay as you go".
You get discounted prices compared to cash fares on the buses, tube, dlr
and tramlink in Croydon. Only a few national rail line accept PAYG for
the moment so if you were to be using NR services extensively then One
Day travelcards would be a better bet for occasional travel involving NR
travel. If you make a number of PAYG trips in one day you may well get
your charges "capped" at a maximum value of the appropriate one day
travelcard price less 50p. Your PAYG running total for any one day is
dependent on time of travel, zones travelled through and modes used as
there are several different cap levels.

If you are in London for a number of weeks and will be travelling
extensively and in the peaks then it may well be better for you to have
a Travelcard season ticket for the appropriate number of zones on your
Oyster card. If you have a season ticket the "Pay as go" element is
still operative so if you travel beyond your zones on the tube the gates
will automatically deduct money from the card for the extension element
of your trip. If you have a Travelcard season then regardless of the
zones held you get travel on all TfL buses throughout London.

If you're able to better define your likely travel patterns and length
of time in London then it might be possible to give a more definitive
answer.

The Tfl guide to fares is here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ckets-0709.pdf

--
Paul C

Old December 5th 07, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Yaz Yaz is offline

"Paul Corfield" wrote in
[...]

I am only there for a day trip. returning same day. No extensive travelling.

Also, When I tried to load the oystercard today it saif it will only be
valid for collection for 7th Dec to 14 Dec. And I want to travel/use
tommorow?

Yaz

Yaz

Old December 6th 07, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I am only there for a day trip. returning same day. No extensive
travelling.

Then I think Pay As You Go is the answer, though it depends where you are
coming in from.

I have never really joined the Oyster revolution, because where I come in
from, it is always cheaper to buy a Travelcard with return journey into
London included (with a Young Person's Railcard discount) then to buy a
straight return then Oyster everything else.

That said, I used one for the first time yesterday as I ended up in London
through other means!

Also, When I tried to load the oystercard today it saif it will only be
valid for collection for 7th Dec to 14 Dec. And I want to travel/use
tommorow?

You can load money on at the underground station very easily, use either the
ticket office or the automatic machines that show the oyster symbol. You can
load any amount of money, cash or card onto the Oyster to work straight
away.

Best Wishes,
LEWIS

Old December 6th 07, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 5, 11:09 pm, "Yaz" wrote:
"Paul Corfield" wrote in

[...]

Sounds like PAYG will probably be the best bet provided you are not
using national rail services to get about once in London.

I don't understand the reference to 7 - 14 December as it's not clear
what you have done. Have you placed an order for a ticket or value to
be added to an existing card via the TfL website or customer services
centre? If so I would strongly suggest that you need to contact the
customer services centre to cancel that order if you are in no
position to use or collect what you have requested.

I assume you won't see this until you have returned from your travels
so it'll be interesting to see what happened.

Paul C via google

Old December 6th 07, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I don't understand the reference to 7 - 14 December as it's not clear
what you have done. Have you placed an order for a ticket or value to
be added to an existing card via the TfL website or customer services
centre? If so I would strongly suggest that you need to contact the
customer services centre to cancel that order if you are in no
position to use or collect what you have requested.

large-friendly-letters
Don't Panic!
/large-friendly-letters

If, as looks likely from the dates, you (OP) have used the online
facility to top up a PAYG card but then cannot collect it you will get
your money back. From the Oyster site: "If you do not collect it within
this period your order will be cancelled and your money refunded."

If you had ordered a travel card etc you might need to do more just in
case you picked it up by mistake during the window it is available.
From what you say about day trips only once every 3 months I take it
that is unlikely.

--
Robin