Old December 9th 07, 10:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default St P.I..L.L Impressions.

First impressions of the Thameslink platforms at St Pancras which
opened on time this morning (after what must have been a massive
tidy-up operation).

Spacious platforms, clean and well lit but not inspiring and, as yet,
minimal advertising. Signs and indicators matching the those rest of
St.P.I. The train indicators do show intermediate stations (ref
earlier comment here.) Seats only at the outer ends of the
platforms, probably not enough of them, particularly since half of
them will be off the end of 4 coach trains.

Surprisingly, the southern ends of the platforms are on a curve but
these will only be needed if and when we get 12 coaches. This curve
causes much flange noise from southbound trains to compete with
automatic train announcements.

Access looks OK with escalators (2 each side) and stairs between
platforms to a mezzanine level and then more of the same up to the
main station undercroft. Exit/entrance, with gateline, in use, faces
the end of the arcade.

Lifts available from platforms to the mezzanine at least (and
hopefully further but I did not explore.)

No retail outlets or toilets within the gates but I dunno about what,
if anything, is planned.

Delayed commuters will be frustrated since, as might be expected,
mobile phones do not work on the platforms (does the technology exist
to fix this?). I did not notice any payphones there.
--
Peter Lawrence
Old December 9th 07, 11:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Peter Lawrence wrote:

snip

Spacious platforms, clean and well lit but not inspiring and, as yet,
minimal advertising.

Hmmm...sounds a bit like City Thameslink.

Signs and indicators matching the those rest of
St.P.I. The train indicators do show intermediate stations (ref
earlier comment here.) Seats only at the outer ends of the
platforms, probably not enough of them, particularly since half of
them will be off the end of 4 coach trains.

Seating is unfortunately at a premium throughout the whole StP complex
at the moment (unless you fancy a £7.50+ glass of champagne :-)).

Surprisingly, the southern ends of the platforms are on a curve but
these will only be needed if and when we get 12 coaches. This curve
causes much flange noise from southbound trains to compete with
automatic train announcements.

I would be surprised if during the forthcoming weekend closures of the
core Thameslink route didn't invlove the renewal of *at least* most of
the track along the whole stretch, including the legendary Hotel Curve.

Access looks OK with escalators (2 each side) and stairs between
platforms to a mezzanine level and then more of the same up to the
main station undercroft. Exit/entrance, with gateline, in use, faces
the end of the arcade.

Lifts available from platforms to the mezzanine at least (and
hopefully further but I did not explore.)

I won't be there until tomorrow (apparently Ruth Kelly is due to
'officially' open it on that day) but I'm certain that there are two
lifts - one covers the street, mezzanine and platform (A) levels while
the other covers the mezzanine and platform (B) levels.

No retail outlets or toilets within the gates but I dunno about what,
if anything, is planned.

According to the LCR maps of StP there will be no retail units or
toilets within the paid-side of SPILL - in any case all SPILL passengers
will have to use the gateline so they'll need all the space they can get.

snip

Old December 9th 07, 12:51 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On Dec 9, 12:36 pm, Sky Rider wrote:
Peter Lawrence wrote:

snip

Spacious platforms, clean and well lit but not inspiring and, as yet,
minimal advertising.

Hmmm...sounds a bit like City Thameslink.

Compared to City Thameslink, I found SPILL more pleasant - brighter,
lighter, and much more spacious. Like some other parts of St Pancras,
it does have a very gallic/continental feel - made me think of the RER
in Paris, or the new underground stations in Berlin such as Potsdamer
Platz. Agreed that it's not very inspiring. The mezzanine in
particular is a massive space with huge blank walls which could surely
have been made more interesting to look at.
Old December 9th 07, 02:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

"Sky Rider" wrote in message

I would be surprised if during the forthcoming weekend closures of the
core Thameslink route didn't invlove the renewal of *at least* most of the
track along the whole stretch, including the legendary Hotel Curve.

What's the Hotel Curve?

Old December 9th 07, 02:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
. uk...

"Sky Rider" wrote in message

I would be surprised if during the forthcoming weekend closures of the
core Thameslink route didn't invlove the renewal of *at least* most of
the track along the whole stretch, including the legendary Hotel Curve.

What's the Hotel Curve?

Its the disused route for down trains from just north of KXTL to the west
side of the Kings Cross layout, now containing a gas main as part of the
preparatory works for the northern ticket hall. So it may not be involved in
any track relaying. The opposite direction route was the York Road curve.

Paul

Old December 9th 07, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Sky Rider) wrote:

Peter Lawrence wrote:

snip

Signs and indicators matching the those rest of
St.P.I. The train indicators do show intermediate stations (ref
earlier comment here.) Seats only at the outer ends of the
platforms, probably not enough of them, particularly since half of
them will be off the end of 4 coach trains.

Seating is unfortunately at a premium throughout the whole StP
complex at the moment (unless you fancy a £7.50+ glass of champagne
:-)).

Do you have to buy a glass to use a seat?

Surprisingly, the southern ends of the platforms are on a curve but
these will only be needed if and when we get 12 coaches. This curve
causes much flange noise from southbound trains to compete with
automatic train announcements.

I would be surprised if during the forthcoming weekend closures of
the core Thameslink route didn't invlove the renewal of *at least*
most of the track along the whole stretch, including the legendary
Hotel Curve.

Not so much legendary as long departed. You mean Midland Curve surely?
Hotel Curve was from the Widened Lines up to the King's Cross suburban
platform 16, long since gone.

Access looks OK with escalators (2 each side) and stairs between
platforms to a mezzanine level and then more of the same up to the
main station undercroft. Exit/entrance, with gateline, in use, faces
the end of the arcade.

Lifts available from platforms to the mezzanine at least (and
hopefully further but I did not explore.)

I won't be there until tomorrow (apparently Ruth Kelly is due to
'officially' open it on that day) but I'm certain that there are
two lifts - one covers the street, mezzanine and platform (A)
levels while the other covers the mezzanine and platform (B) levels.

How will one get a bike between the platforms and street level then?

snip

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 9th 07, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
Do you have to buy a glass to use a seat?

There are a handful of public seats on the Midland Main Line concourse
and on the Thameslink platforms, but the rest of the seats are allocated
to cafes, restaurants and the champagne bar (which has plenty of seats,
hence my earlier remark).

Not so much legendary as long departed. You mean Midland Curve surely?
Hotel Curve was from the Widened Lines up to the King's Cross suburban
platform 16, long since gone.

If the Midland Curve is the section of King's Cross Tunnel where the
carriage length limit is significantly restricted due to the severity of
the curve then yes.

How will one get a bike between the platforms and street level then?

If the lifts (let's call them 1 and 2) are big enough then your options a
Street level - Lift 1 - Southbound platform
Street level - Lift 1 - Mezzanine - Lift 2 - Northbound platform
Old December 10th 07, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

Yes, I know that. But do you have to buy a glass of champagne to use a
seat in the champagne bar?

OK, maybe not. But I suspect you won't get a seat there unless you're
planning to buy something from the bar.

On a side note, I had forgotten about the seats in the E* departure
lounge but obviously they're not located within the land-side part of StP.

That's not as helpful as you might think. IIRC all the Widened Lines
curves were restricted by sharp curvature to some extent.

In that case I'm talking about the tunnel section between SPILL and KXTL.

Ugh!

Just out of interest, how did you cope with KXTL?
Old December 10th 07, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Dec, 23:49, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,
(Sky Rider) wrote:

How will one get a bike between the platforms and street level
then?

If the lifts (let's call them 1 and 2) are big enough then your
options a
Street level - Lift 1 - Southbound platform
Street level - Lift 1 - Mezzanine - Lift 2 - Northbound platform

Ugh!

Alternatively one could carry one's bike up/down two long stairs, with
a mezzanine level in between.

PaulO