Old December 10th 07, 08:14 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

Default St P.I..L.L Impressions.

On 10 Dec, 09:41, Mizter T wrote:

I suspect there will be many other commuters today who will similarly
find the location of the new station's to be an unpleasant surprise
when it comes to interchange with the deep-level tube lines.

Excuse my apostrophitis in the above sentence, it would appear to have
suffered from some rapid and careless redrafting.
Old December 10th 07, 12:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:09:14 on Mon, 10
Dec 2007, Garry Smith remarked:
"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message

First impressions of the Thameslink platforms at St Pancras which
opened on time this morning (after what must have been a massive
tidy-up operation).

I have to confess that I hadn't appreciated how far I'd have to
walk between the new station and the Underground. Being used
to nipping between KX TL and the Victoria Line, this morning's
hike - up out of the new station, then along the full length of
St P, and then back down to the Tube - came as an unpleasant
surprise.

Sheesh! We MML passengers have been complaining about the huge distances
involved for *years* now

For those whom it suits, Farringdon, Blackfriars, or even Kentish
Town may be a better interchange.

Even though the new station and the Underground are not directly
linked, a few signs saying "Underground this way" would be good.
Otherwise folks unfamiliar with the new station have to guess that
to get to the Underground they have to follow the "Way Out" signs.

There do seem to be missing signs at other places, like ones at the top
of the first set of escalators closest to the MML platforms, to indicate
additional routes to the tube via the platform level concourse.
Old December 10th 07, 02:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:09:14 on Mon, 10
Dec 2007, Garry Smith remarked:

I have to confess that I hadn't appreciated how far I'd have to
walk between the new station and the Underground. Being used
to nipping between KX TL and the Victoria Line, this morning's
hike - up out of the new station, then along the full length of
St P, and then back down to the Tube - came as an unpleasant
surprise.

Sheesh! We MML passengers have been complaining about the huge distances
involved for *years* now

Presumably the TOCs are quite happy with this. :-)

Passengers have to walk further every day.

Passengers get thinner and fitter.

More passengers can now squeeze into each train, and they now have
the stamina to stand up for the duration of their journeys.
--
Garry Smith

Old December 11th 07, 10:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

There do seem to be missing signs at other places, like ones at the top
of the first set of escalators closest to the MML platforms, to indicate
additional routes to the tube via the platform level concourse.

Frankly, signage around the whole of St Pancras is absolutely dire.

Some signs say East Midlands trains, others say Midland Mainline, and the
worst ones of all say "UK Trains" when pointing to the EMT platforms, and
completely ignoring FCC. When I started getting confused where I was going,
and I probably have far more vested interest and prior knowledge to general
travellers, I knew it was bad.

The information displays are equally awful throughout the station. The big
station-wide board at the entrance to the FCC platforms lists all UK
trains - but not in departure order, but by train company - not that this is
stated, and at first glance is just a random selection of trains in a random
order.

The FCC platform ones are hideous... the Calling At line can only show 2
stations at a time and don't scroll. They don't show numbers of coaches or
location of First Class, and as others have stated, are currently having a
problem getting the order of departures right.

I may be far too cynical here, but it seems that in their efforts to create
an arty farty "meeting place", the St Pancras team have forgotten about the
most basic elements... seatings, signage and information displays.

Old December 12th 07, 01:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 23:58:47 -0000, Lew 1
wrote:

[...]

This was my impression of the huge departure board at the North end of the
station too. The thing is vast, must be about 30m wide, and is constructed
of numerous LCD screens with their associated poor viewing angle. You
actually need to walk up and down the concourse to get any information out
of it. What is wrong with Solari or LED departure boards? A step forward
in technology and a step back in usability IMO.

I was also very disappointed by the information, or lack of, given to
international arrivals. I don't know what information is available to
passengers air side, but as they come through the doors to land side they
are unceremoniously dumped into what appears to be a bustling shopping
arcade, not a major transport hub. There is no obvious signage for onward
travel options at all. They most eye catching thing in front of them is a
staircase leading up to the platform level. The side of this staircase
would be an ideal place to put a large map of the station and useful
signage, but it is wasted. I stood on Sunday for a while and watched as
passengers came out the door, looked around despairingly for a while and
then shuffled off in some random direction. When people arrive in a
foreign place they need a bit of space and useful information in order to
gather their thoughts and orientate themselves.

Also, an obvious 'meeting point' should be provided.

--
Fig

Old December 12th 07, 08:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Fig" wrote in message newsp.t27a2kwum4iaeb@dell...

...... I stood on Sunday for a while and watched as passengers came out
the door, looked around despairingly for a while and then shuffled off in
some random direction.

Have a look on a weekday morning and you'll see them being mown
down by several hundred newly-disgorged FCC passengers who
know exactly where they are going, have no interest in all the shops,
cafes and stalls, and who simply want to get out or get to the
Underground as fast as possible.

Didn't they consider the mix of passengers who would be using the same
station? It's like allowing your ageing Aunt Dotty to drive her Nissan Micra
against the flow of traffic on a motorway :-)
--
Garry Smith

Old December 12th 07, 09:28 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Today at 02:40, Fig wrote:
Also, an obvious 'meeting point' should be provided.

Statues?

--
Kirk
Old December 12th 07, 09:32 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 23:58:47 on Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Lew
1 remarked:
I may be far too cynical here, but it seems that in their efforts to create
an arty farty "meeting place", the St Pancras team have forgotten about the
most basic elements... seatings, signage and information displays.

.... and passenger flows.

I fell like a lone voice in the wilderness, having been moaning about
the MML platforms all this time, and pretty much being told "stop
fussing, it'll be alright when the main shed opens".

But it isn't.

And now we seem to be hearing "it'll be alright when the northern ticket
hall opens"

Pardon me if I say: "I don't believe it".
Old December 12th 07, 10:04 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 23:58:47 on Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Lew 1
remarked:
I may be far too cynical here, but it seems that in their efforts to
create
an arty farty "meeting place", the St Pancras team have forgotten about
the
most basic elements... seatings, signage and information displays.

... and passenger flows.

I fell like a lone voice in the wilderness, having been moaning about the
MML platforms all this time, and pretty much being told "stop fussing,
it'll be alright when the main shed opens".

But it isn't.

And now we seem to be hearing "it'll be alright when the northern ticket
hall opens"

Pardon me if I say: "I don't believe it".

Have any additional signs become visible since we recently mentioned the
small overhead signs on the back of the PIS displays as you leave the MML
platforms, that appeared to be taped over. Seems many of them need to be
made much bigger, the sort of size you get in most other major stations.

Paul

Old December 12th 07, 10:40 AM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On Dec 11, 11:58 pm, "Lew 1"
wrote:
I may be far too cynical here, but it seems that in their efforts to create
an arty farty "meeting place", the St Pancras team have forgotten about the
most basic elements... seatings, signage and information displays.

Having watched the series on BBC2 about St P with the architect
getting into a flap about his doodleflips being 2 inches out of whack
and others making a big fuss about the retail side and yet more people
having kittens about marks on the statue , I suspect thats almost
certainly the case. I realise you can't trust the BBC editing much
these days , but not once did we see anyone making any comment about
anything to do with signs or displays.

B2003