Old December 16th 10, 02:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default LUL Movia S stock impressions

This morning I experienced a new Movia S stock train on the
Metropolitan Line. My destination was Willesden and I planned to
travel directly on the Bakerloo Line but as my train arrived at Baker
Street I noticed an S stock in platform 4 working an all stations
service to Watford, I changed my plans and decided to detour to travel
aboard it to Northwick Park then walk around the corner to Kenton and
then the Bakerloo line to Willesden Junction.

My impression of the new train is very positive, I really like the
layout, moquette
and cushioning applied to the seats, the acceleration and braking
performance is superb in comparison to an old camshaft controlled A
stock, the announcements are played at just the right volume and
aren’t too quiet or loud and the overall interior feels very spacious
and airy.

Old December 23rd 10, 10:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Dec 16, 3:25*pm, G1206 wrote:
This morning I experienced a new Movia S stock train on the
Metropolitan Line. My destination was Willesden and I planned to
travel directly on the Bakerloo Line but as my train arrived at Baker
Street I noticed an S stock in platform 4 working an all stations
service to Watford, I changed my plans and decided to detour to travel
aboard it to Northwick Park then walk around the corner to Kenton and
then the Bakerloo line to Willesden Junction.

My impression of the new train is very positive, I really like the
layout, moquette
and cushioning applied to the seats, the acceleration and braking
performance is superb in comparison to an old camshaft controlled A
stock, the announcements are played at just the right volume and
aren’t too quiet or loud and the overall interior feels very spacious
and airy.

I travelled on the S stock today, and whislt the ride of the train was
a big improvement. I was extremely disappointed to see the lack of
seats on the train. I travelled just one stop from Wembley Park to
Finchley Road in the middle of the day and I was standing. If I was
travelling further afield I wouldnt be happy having to stand to
Amersham. Another thing that struck me was how narrow the carriages
were compared to the old trains. Looks like a SARDINE car to me. I
wouldnt have thought that I would say this but please please dont
phase out the A stock all is forgiven !
Old December 24th 10, 10:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 15:41:18 -0800 (PST)
sehinde raji wrote:
Amersham. Another thing that struck me was how narrow the carriages
were compared to the old trains. Looks like a SARDINE car to me. I

According to wikipedia (yeah I know, but try finding another reference) they're
actually *wider* than A stock. 2.92m vs 2.90m. Which is actually larger than
mainline loading gauge so I wonder if there are any issues when hauling
them from the factory?

I haven't been on the S stock but if the interior space is as badly used
as on the 2009 stock with pointlessly thick chunky walls everywhere then I can
understand why they might seem cramped.

B2003

Old December 24th 10, 10:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

sehinde raji wrote:
Amersham. Another thing that struck me was how narrow the carriages
were compared to the old trains. Looks like a SARDINE car to me. I

According to wikipedia (yeah I know, but try finding another reference)
they're
actually *wider* than A stock. 2.92m vs 2.90m. Which is actually larger
than
mainline loading gauge so I wonder if there are any issues when hauling
them from the factory?

They are significantly shorter individual carriages, so that the extra width
probably isn't a significant issue assuming there'll be a few speed
restrictions through certain platforms. On the Chiltern route, platforms
are good for fairly wide 23m units, ie the 165s

Paul S

Old December 24th 10, 10:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

sehinde raji wrote:
Amersham. Another thing that struck me was how narrow the carriages
were compared to the old trains. Looks like a SARDINE car to me. I

According to wikipedia (yeah I know, but try finding another
reference) they're actually *wider* than A stock. 2.92m vs 2.90m.
Which is actually larger than mainline loading gauge so I wonder if
there are any issues when hauling
them from the factory?

Yes, I recently posted the specially cleared, slightly convoluted route
that Rail published.