Old January 20th 08, 09:38 AM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

Default ELLX phase 2

On Dec 14 2007, 11:02*am, Mwmbwls wrote:
The excellent
*http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
reports something worthy of wider exposure.

and he writes the same thing today. There is now an excellent diagram
of Shoreditch High Street section. Is the enclosed section purely for
noise abatement?

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/

Old January 20th 08, 10:03 AM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On 20 Jan, 10:38, Mwmbwls wrote:
and he writes the same thing today.

Do I?

There is now an excellent diagram of Shoreditch High Street section. Is the enclosed section purely for
noise abatement?

Thanks. It's to protect the line from other development on the site,
and the plan is for it to be inside other buildings. I think it's
windowless.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old January 20th 08, 05:46 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
reports something worthy of wider exposure.

ELL Phase 2 in respect of Thameslink Phasing

all good stuff snipped

I must sit and read all that lot.

It does occur to me that maybe a possible but expensive supplementry
solution to inner south London surface rail capacity is to revive
extending the Bakerloo line through the area. Of course thats
something thats been sat on for a goodly long time looking as if it
has no hope of ever getting going. I've not seen much about geological
issues or routes but am I right in thinking various schemes have been
worked out ?

--
Nick

Old January 20th 08, 06:51 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On Jan 20, 6:46 pm, D7666 wrote:
It does occur to me that maybe a possible but expensive supplementry
solution to inner south London surface rail capacity is to revive
extending the Bakerloo line through the area. Of course thats
something thats been sat on for a goodly long time looking as if it
has no hope of ever getting going. I've not seen much about geological
issues or routes but am I right in thinking various schemes have been
worked out ?

Proposals to extend the Bakerloo have been made a number of times to
Camberwell, Brixton, Peckham Tulse Hill and even (I can't remember the
source for this one) Hayes.

I don't think that it was geology that was the dominant blocker. Under
the New Works Programme, undertaken to relieve the Depression,
parliamentary powers were obtained in 1931 to build the Camberwell
extension.with a terminus under Camberwell Green However, London
Transport were not convinced that the route would pay.and the project
was postponed. The Camberwell powers were renewed in 1955 prolonging
their validity to 1961 but were allowed to lapse in favour of the
Victoria Line extension to Brixton. In 1963 the London Transport board
considered an extension to Peckham. The 1974 London Rail Study
believed the cost benefit case to be weak and so Camberwell like
sleeping beauty nodded off until most recently in 2006

http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk...name_page.html

http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk...name_page.html

http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk...name_page.html

Having missed the Olympic Bus or more properly the Olympic tube the
residents of Camberwell now have to wait until post 2015 with say
another five years of political argy-bargy and a five year
construction period they might, as part of the London 2025 plan, get
direct access to that Latin quarter of Bushey known to the locals as
Watford Junction in just under a century.

The plans for the 1931 extension and the supporting papers for the
1974 London rail study should been in archive..Perhaps, Charlie Hulme
could be kind enough to suggest an access route. I vaguely remember
some papers published by the Royal Statistical Society about cost
benefit analysis at that time. In pre computer days statistics used to
be simple - grossly inaccurate but simple. :-)
Old January 20th 08, 07:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mwmbwls" wrote

I don't think that it was geology that was the dominant blocker. Under
the New Works Programme, undertaken to relieve the Depression,
parliamentary powers were obtained in 1931 to build the Camberwell
extension.with a terminus under Camberwell Green However, London
Transport were not convinced that the route would pay.and the project
was postponed. The Camberwell powers were renewed in 1955 prolonging
their validity to 1961 but were allowed to lapse in favour of the
Victoria Line extension to Brixton. In 1963 the London Transport board
considered an extension to Peckham. The 1974 London Rail Study
believed the cost benefit case to be weak and so Camberwell like
sleeping beauty nodded off until most recently in 2006

Of course, Camberwell used to have trains to Farringdon, Kings Cross, and
Moorgate - but Camberwell New Road station was closed in 1916. Quite a lot
of it is still there.

Peter

Old January 20th 08, 07:12 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

Mwmbwls wrote:

The 1974 London Rail Study
believed the cost benefit case to be weak and so Camberwell like
sleeping beauty nodded off until most recently in 2006

Tim O'Toole mentioned it in a Time Out interview last year:
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...nstion-on.html

Pure rumour says the plan involves the Hayes branch.

Old January 20th 08, 08:39 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jan 20, 8:01*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Mwmbwls" wrote

[...]

New stations and better interchanges on existing lines could provide a
lot of new person-routes, both north and south of the Thames, at much
less cost than new lines.

It's a bit bonkers how the line from Denmark Hill to Clapham High
Street Crosses two routes to the south, and one to the north, without
any straightforward opportunity for people to connect to them (one can
go to Elephant or Victoria and back it's true).

New LO in car line diagram for ELLX Phase 2 Paul Scott[_3_] London Transport 43 December 13th 12 09:13 PM
ELLX phase 2 Peter Masson London Transport 1 December 14th 07 08:26 PM
ELLX phase 2 Mizter T London Transport 0 December 14th 07 06:26 PM
Crossrail & ELLX going ahead Dave Arquati London Transport 17 August 1st 04 08:51 AM