London Banter

-   -   Driverless trains. (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/602-driverless-trains.html)

CJG August 29th 03 04:50 PM

Driverless trains.

In message , Ed Crowley
writes
It wasn't the drivers' fault that the train was delayed.

I never said it was. What I am saying is that its front-line staff who
come in constant contact with customers that get all the crap and abuse
about what their company is doing.
--
CJG

CJG August 29th 03 04:51 PM

Driverless trains.

In message , Ed Crowley
writes
Computers don't read the paper while driving (as witnessed on the
Central line a good few times now) or turn up to work ****ed up on
booze (a reference to recent reports about the levels of alcohol and
drug abuse in the workplace, including the railway industry).

Or use a mobile phone whilst driving (obviously not underground)
--
CJG

Michael Bell August 29th 03 05:49 PM

Driverless trains.

In article , Just me and the world
wrote:
Would you really trust a train with no actual driver in the cab? Be honest
now

You do on a lift. It's an awful smash if something really does go
wrong! And there is no driver in the CAB of a DLR train.

Michael Bell

Cast_Iron August 30th 03 08:43 AM

Driverless trains.

wrote:
Would you really trust a train with no actual driver in the cab? Be

honest
now

You do on a lift. It's an awful smash if something really does go
wrong!

Incorrrect. There is a safety device that stops the lift falling in the
event of the cables breaking.
See http://www.theelevatormuseum.org/e/e-5.htm

And there is no driver in the CAB of a DLR train.

Very true, but what you fail to point out is that there is no cab in which
to place the driver.

Ken Wheatley August 30th 03 12:48 PM

Driverless trains.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:40:46 +0100, "Ed Crowley"
wrote:

I would imagine an engineer would be called. What happens on the
driver-less airport shuttle trains such as those at Stanstead and Gatwick?

WTF can't anyone spell 'Stansted'?

Mathieu Boucley September 2nd 03 09:40 PM

Driverless trains.

Colin McKenzie écrivait
:

There is no driver on board of the line 14 trains in Paris. On the
other hand, there is a hidden dashboard in the front car permitting
an agent to manually drive the train in the event of an emergency.

How does he get there if the train is stuck in a tunnel?

He can walk in the tunnel (they are enough wide that people could walk
beside a train).

Are RATP tunnels single or double track?

They are generally double tracked, but some section of the line 14 are
single tracked.