Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 9th 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Railcard discount on Oyster

On Jan 9, 8:04 am, "solar penguin"
wrote:
John B wrote:

OTOH, I'd bet a penny to a pound that nearly all the annoyed people
behind you were seeking to waste the ticket clerk's time by doing
stuff that the machines could have handled anyway.

...in fact, thinking about it, it makes me angry that clerks get
annoyed about people seeking to carry out transactions at the ticket
office that are difficult and take time. Of course they sodding are;
anything easy or urgent could be done at the machine, and anyone who
tries to speak to a clerk to buy a ticket that's also sold at the
machine thoroughly deserves to be made to wait.

OTOH it would only be easier to do it at the machine if you know how to
use the machines in the first place. If you're not familiar with them,
or just don't feel comfortable with machines in general, it's usually
much easier and quicker to deal with a real live human being in the
ticket office.

When I was at Green Park with a queue building up behind me, there was
in fact a supervisor hanging around the machines helping people work
them.

[sarcastic hyperbole]Or preferably shot[/sarcastic hyperbole]

Better still, shoot all the machines and replace them with more human
clerks. That would be a big improvement.

The current big improvement is making most of the smaller machines
accept cards and do oyster. There's often a queue for the couple of
larger machines, while almost nobody can use those machines that can
just sell you a single ticket for £4 in coins.