Old December 28th 08, 02:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Oyster PAYG + YP Railcard discount?

Rob wrote:
I read on a forum that on oyster payg you can get 1/3 off off peak
travelcard prices???- is this true????

No. You can get a discounted *paper* Day Travelcard, which gives you a
Zones 1 to 6 Travelcard (1 to 9 if purchased from a London Underground
Ticket Office) for £4.80 instead of £7.00/£8.20. (Increasing to £5.00
instead of £7.50/£9.00 from 2nd January))

You can also get your Railcard discount added to an Oyster (the discount
entitlement expires at the same time as your Railcard) which gives a
reduced Pay As You Go cap of between £2.80 and £8.30 depending on which
Zones you travel in. (The Railcard caps from 2nd January don't appear in
the 2009 Fares Leaflets or on the TfL site, as far as I can tell).

HTH,

Barry

Old December 28th 08, 03:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote in news:6rplf6F2menoU1
@mid.individual.net:

Rob wrote:
I read on a forum that on oyster payg you can get 1/3 off off peak
travelcard prices???- is this true????

No. You can get a discounted *paper* Day Travelcard, which gives you a
Zones 1 to 6 Travelcard (1 to 9 if purchased from a London Underground
Ticket Office) for £4.80 instead of £7.00/£8.20. (Increasing to £5.00
instead of £7.50/£9.00 from 2nd January))

Barry

Does that R1289 trick still work? I'm sure the "logic" behind it was that
the discounted paper day travelcard was capped at less than a third off,
and a third off the R1289 was still less than the capped price, a R1289 was
always issued, but next year's £ 5.00 will be exactly a third off £ 7.50.

Last time I bought a railcard paper day travelcard from LU I was asked
which zones I wanted and got R1256 for £4.80.

David
Old December 28th 08, 04:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 28 Dec, 15:48, Barry Salter wrote:
No. You can get a discounted *paper* Day Travelcard, which gives you a
Zones 1 to 6 Travelcard (1 to 9 if purchased from a London Underground
Ticket Office) for £4.80 instead of £7.00/£8.20. (Increasing to £5.00
instead of £7.50/£9.00 from 2nd January))

Strewth! the Allzones (1-9) Travelcard is going up from £8.20 to £9 on
the 2nd Jan?....that's 10% near as dammit! Isthat the biggest increase
in LU fares this January?....
Old January 2nd 09, 11:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Dec 28 2008, 3:48*pm, Barry Salter
wrote:

(The Railcard caps from 2nd January don't appear in
the 2009 Fares Leaflets or on the TfL site, as far as I can tell).

They are on the TfL site, albeit quite well hidden:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx

- martin
Old January 10th 09, 05:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

(TheRailcardcaps from 2nd January don't appear in
the 2009 Fares Leaflets or on the TfL site, as far as I can tell).

They are on the TfL site, albeit quite well hidden:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx

I wonder if the differences between PAYG caps and Travelcard prices
will stay the same when PAYG expands across London (except SWT
apparently) in September.

Digressing slightly, I recently bought a combined 3-year (Rail+Photo)
Card and successfully got the discounted PAYG caps onto my Oyster at
Kings Cross St Pancras (it took 2 minutes, if that long). Generally
speaking, how well trained are TfL staff in doing this compared to
last year?