Old December 29th 07, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Railcard discount on Oyster

The tfl website has now been updated.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx

"You will need to get an Oyster card and have your Railcard discount
concession loaded on it. This can be done at

Tube station ticket offices
London Overground station ticket offices
Some National Rail station ticket offices "

The text also mentions the Watford Junction cap rates which "Your Guide
to fares and Tickets 2 Janurary 2008" does not.

The tfl conditions of carriage have also been updated.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...age-08-01-02.p
df

7.7 National Rail Railcard discounts

For details of how to obtain a National Rail Railcard, see 5.9.

If you hold a Young Persons, Senior, Disabled Persons or HM Forces
Railcard and an Oyster card with the National Rail discount loaded on
it, your Oyster daily price cap will be 34% lower than the equivalent
adult-rate cap.

This discount is only available to the cardholder. If you are
travelling with other people who are entitled to a discount on any
printed tickets bought in association with your Railcard, the entire
group must purchase and use printed tickets. ==

--
Mike D

Old January 2nd 08, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 29 2007, 6:14*pm, "Michael R N Dolbear"
wrote:
The tfl website has now been updated.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx

"You will need to get an Oyster card and have your Railcard discount
concession loaded on it. This can be done at

Tube station ticket offices
London Overground station ticket offices
Some National Rail station ticket offices "

I registered mine today at a tube station - it's a relatively painless
procedure, although the clerk did have to look up the book to find out
how to do it.
And now I'm off to town and back for a mere £3.50. Excellent.

- martin

Old January 2nd 08, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I registered mine today at a tube station - it's a relatively painless
procedure, although the clerk did have to look up the book to find out
how to do it.
And now I'm off to town and back for a mere £3.50. Excellent.

Great news.

I assume, then, that the new cap comes into force immediately?

Best WIshes,
LEWIS

Old January 2nd 08, 11:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 2, 6:39*pm, "Lew 1" wrote:
I registered mine today at a tube station - it's a relatively painless
procedure, although the clerk did have to look up the book to find out
how to do it.
And now I'm off to town and back for a mere £3.50. Excellent.

Great news.

I assume, then, that the new cap comes into force immediately?

Yes, it seems to have done so.

- martin

Old January 3rd 08, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I assume, then, that the new cap comes into force immediately?
Yes, it seems to have done so.

For anyone intending to go through this process, let me just let you know
what my experience of it was today.

First up, West Hampstead Overground station - where the cashier simply said
"I have no idea how to do that, you'll have to go to the Underground
station". And that was that.

So, I toddled off to the underground, and was told that it wasn't possible.
I tried to explain that it was and even showed the relevant page in the
Tickets and Fares leaflet. They still didn't relent, and after telling me
that I would have to hold up everyone else in the queue while they checked,
still refused to do anything other than sell me a normal travelcard. I
argued the point some more, they did some more phoning, and decided that it
*could* be done, but I would have to get a brand new oyster card to do it.

So, new oyster card in hand (and another £3 deposit paid for the privilege)
they added it on. The whole palava took 15 minutes and as well as appalling
customer service from the staff (who in effect told the rest of the queue
that I was holding them up by being unreasonable) I was also subject to
heckles from other passengers.

Moral of the story? If you want to attempt to add your railcard onto your
oyster be prepared to argue your point, have the relevant page in the
leaflet to hand, have plenty of time to spare - and I would guess try to use
a station with multiple ticket windows. It's not an experience I want to go
through again.

Best Wishes,
LEWIS

Old January 3rd 08, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Lew 1 wrote:
[...]

The Fares and Tickets leaflet says "For full details visit
tfl.gov.uk/fares", but I've failed to find a route to the detailed
information from there except by Googling for it. The page is actually
at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx
It does say "You will need to get an Oyster card and have your Railcard
discount concession loaded on it", which sort-of implies that you have
to start from scratch with a new Oyster card.

It claims that you can do this at an LU or LO ticket office, so a double
complaint is justified.

It's not an experience I want to go through again.

In the interests of research, we shall expect a report next year when
you renew the facility!
:-)

--
Richard J.

Old January 3rd 08, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Thu, 3 Jan 2008 21:05:30 in
uk.transport.london, Lew 1 writes
I assume, then, that the new cap comes into force immediately?

Yes, it seems to have done so.

For anyone intending to go through this process, let me just let you know
what my experience of it was today.

[snipped long story about difficulty in adding railcard to Oyster card]

Moral of the story? If you want to attempt to add your railcard onto your
oyster be prepared to argue your point, have the relevant page in the
leaflet to hand, have plenty of time to spare - and I would guess try to use
a station with multiple ticket windows. It's not an experience I want to go
through again.

Please complain in as much detail as you can. I suggest you make a
conflated complaint. I would start at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/contact/default.aspx. I would avoid
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/overground/default.aspx because it
lacks a confirmation email checkbox and it is easy for you and TfL both
to forget the contact.
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/tube/default.asp has a "Tick if you
would like a confirmation email sent to you?" checkbox.
You might alternatively try speaking to the station supervisor. I have
had mixed experience in doing that when I found something wrong with a
station.

My belief is that the problem is a lack of training in the new
procedures. It is often fruitless to complain, but it is better than
doing nothing.

If you believe your formal complaint is not adequately handled , you can
follow up via Travel Watch: http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/ who
have either resolved an issue or satisfactorily explained it for me.

I am currently trying to chase the absence of confirmation checkboxes at
most of the "contact us" forms with Travel Watch. I made a complaint and
saved its body in a text file. When I got no response after just over a
month, I reported the matter as an example of the inadequacy of the
system. I await a response. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/contact/4417.aspx
has "Complaints policy and procedure
We will do our best to send you a full written response within 10
working days. If we cannot give you a full answer in this time, we will
send you an acknowledgement within two working days and a full written
response within 15 working days."

Moaning here is fun, but I prefer to complain where there is more chance
of getting things fixed. YMMV.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old January 4th 08, 12:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

The Fares and Tickets leaflet says "For full details visit
tfl.gov.uk/fares", but I've failed to find a route to the detailed
information from there except by Googling for it. The page is actually at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx
It does say "You will need to get an Oyster card and have your Railcard
discount concession loaded on it", which sort-of implies that you have to
start from scratch with a new Oyster card.

Which will shaft a lot of students who already have the Oyster photocards
(some of us with season tickets loaded onto them).

It claims that you can do this at an LU or LO ticket office, so a double
complaint is justified.

I may try it, but Wanstead Park doesn't have much of a ticket office and the
queues at Stratford are insane. Where's likely to be a good ticket office to
try? Preferably somewhere where a lot of students are likely to have tried?

Old January 4th 08, 12:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Jan, 01:28, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
[...]

Mile End or Bow Road for you maybe? Large student populations there. I
do hope they can set it up onto my current Oyster card. I'm going to
try tomorrow at Turnpike Lane or Manor House, and will report back.