Old August 25th 03, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

Default Oxford For A Pound

Have seen the blue buses going down Baker Street with "Oxford For a
Pound" advertised on the front.
Is it really a pound to Oxford? Or is it only if you travel at 3am or
something? How long does it take? Is it recommended?
--
CJG

Old August 25th 03, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:22:13 +0100, CJG
wrote:

Have seen the blue buses going down Baker Street with "Oxford For a
Pound" advertised on the front.
Is it really a pound to Oxford? Or is it only if you travel at 3am or
something? How long does it take? Is it recommended?

Details at:

http://www.megabus.com/

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old August 25th 03, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:53:42 +0100, Robert Woolley
wrote:

http://www.megabus.com/

Seems to be copying Stelios's demand-pricing idea (pre-empting his
easybus.co.uk idea)...

Wow, they're brave. Anyone willing to bet on how long it'll be before
Stagecoach (Oxford Tube) run them off the road?

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.
Old August 25th 03, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim tim is offline

wrote:

http://www.megabus.com/

Seems to be copying Stelios's demand-pricing idea (pre-empting his
easybus.co.uk idea)...

Wow, they're brave. Anyone willing to bet on how long it'll be before
Stagecoach (Oxford Tube) run them off the road?

I don't think they need try very hard, megabus are doing well enough without help.........

Warning: Undefined index: origin in /home/megabus/www/index.php on line 661

Warning: Undefined index: dest in /home/megabus/www/index.php on line 662

Warning: Undefined index: depart in /home/megabus/www/index.php on line 663

Warning: Undefined index: repeat in /home/megabus/www/index.php on line 665

Warning: Undefined index: numPassengers in /home/megabus/www/index.php on line 666

sql = SELECT * FROM vJourneys WHERE valid_from = '25-August-2003' AND valid_to = '25-August-2003'
AND ((From_Town_ID = 1 AND To_Town_ID = AND Route_ID 0) OR (From_Town_ID = AND To_Town_ID = 1 AND
Route_ID 0)) ORDER By Depart_Time;
DB Error: syntax error

Tim

Neil

Old August 25th 03, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

With regard to a previous post, I doubt if "Stagecoach will run megabus off
the road" as megabus are owned by..........
.........yes, you've guessed it: Stagecoach!

Old August 25th 03, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
CJG CJG is offline

In message , Neil Williams
writes
Anyone know what type of vehicles they're using? The site refers to
some kind of air-conditioned double-decker without toilets - but are
they similar to (or the same as) the Oxford Tube deckers (but those
have bogs - albeit very small ones), or are they of a more bus-like
construction?

They look like old normal double decker buses.

I wonder who they're anticipating competing with with this service,
then? At a quid a ticket, you're not exactly going to rake it in, and
if the fares get much higher they'll get close to the student rate
charged by themselves (!) on the Oxford Tube or the competing Oxford
Express of around 9 quid (I think), or indeed the railways at about 12
quid with YP card. No flexibility, of course, either - you must travel
as booked - and not a lot of scope for unplanned journeys...

But at a quid each way (plus booking fee). If you fancy a trip to
Oxford Next weekend and then change your mind all you have lost is the
price of a round trip along Oxford Street.
--
CJG
Old August 25th 03, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hi,

wrote:

http://www.megabus.com/

Seems to be copying Stelios's demand-pricing idea (pre-empting his
easybus.co.uk idea)...

Wow, they're brave. Anyone willing to bet on how long it'll be before
Stagecoach (Oxford Tube) run them off the road?

Unlikely, megabus.com is Stagecoach too! The Oxford Bus Company (Oxford
Express) have been sulking about it though.

Luke

Old August 26th 03, 06:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:09:48 +0100, CJG
wrote:

But at a quid each way (plus booking fee). If you fancy a trip to
Oxford Next weekend and then change your mind all you have lost is the
price of a round trip along Oxford Street.

True. I rather suspect it won't be a quid for all seats, though -
it'll probably rise to just below the Oxford Tube price as the seats
sell, Easyjet-style.

Neil

Old August 26th 03, 06:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
CJG CJG is offline

In message , Neil Williams
writes
True. I rather suspect it won't be a quid for all seats, though -
it'll probably rise to just below the Oxford Tube price as the seats
sell, Easyjet-style.

I am going to Oxford soon and tried various dates and times and all the
seats were advertised as £1. Although maybe they are booked or they just
don't run them. But there seems to be no buses around commuter times.
--
CJG