Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 3rd 08, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Year's Eve at Charing Cross

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 01:03:18 -0800 (PST), MaxB wrote:

The
problem was that you couldn't get into the station because the two
nomimal queues (over and underground) which started half way up the
Strand were actually mostly Underground passengers - when we finally
struggled into CX after an hour queueing it was practically deserted.
Outside, the queues were still several hundred yards long from
Trafalgar Sq, up to nearly the Savoy and then back again.

Aha, thanks, that makes some sense of the baffling empty trains!

As has been said by others, this surely isn't that difficult to work
around, using completely separate queuing areas and entrances for Tube
and National Rail and blocking connecting passages between the two.

It also makes me wonder why they shut Embankment, Westminster and Temple
Underground stations. Why would you want to direct all the Tube and Rail
passengers to the same place? A recipe for the disaster that ensued.

It's also quite depressing how little those queuing tube passengers must
know about the geography of central London and the tube network. I
wished I had been an Underground user that evening because I knew I
could always head to another station nearby, whereas with the closure of
Waterloo East, Charing Cross was the only place to catch my train
without trekking to London Bridge.

I suppose the narrow focus of the majority of tube users was further
evidenced when we walked past the hordes waiting outside Waterloo
Underground station and headed for Southwark Underground, which you
could just about see from the same spot as you could see the hordes!

Rubbish organisation - next time (if ever) I will just stay on the
platform at CX, watch the fireworks, and hop on the train.

Of course! That is actually an excellent idea. If I lack any better
plans myself next year I might just join you

Paul