Old January 10th 08, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Central line extension to New York?

For your daily dose of crazy, with some interesting boring pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLL2sp6iJZI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNDePyexjA4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZDcp-2DYyY

Where do Americans get those voiceover guys?

tom

--
now you're under control and now you do what we told you

Old January 10th 08, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
For your daily dose of crazy, with some interesting boring pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLL2sp6iJZI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNDePyexjA4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZDcp-2DYyY

Where do Americans get those voiceover guys?

America?

When I tried the first chunk, it kept stopping in mid-tunnel. I think
it's the Piccadilly rather than the Central. :-)

--
Richard J.

Old January 10th 08, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
For your daily dose of crazy, with some interesting boring pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLL2sp6iJZI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNDePyexjA4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZDcp-2DYyY

Where do Americans get those voiceover guys?

tom

--
now you're under control and now you do what we told you

Many years (late 60s) ago I worked in a travel agency in Kinghtsbridge. An
American asked which Tube to get to "Edinboro". He was genuinely shocked
when we explained the idea of taking the Picadilly to Kings X and then
sitting for over 4 hours on a "real" train.

Old January 10th 08, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Jan, 16:28, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
"Tom Anderson" wrote:

For your daily dose of crazy, with some interesting boring pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLL2sp6iJZI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNDePyexjA4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZDcp-2DYyY

Where do Americans get those voiceover guys?

tom

--
now you're under control and now you do what we told you

Many years (late 60s) ago I worked in a travel agency in Kinghtsbridge. An
American asked which Tube to get to "Edinboro". He was genuinely shocked
when we explained the idea of taking the Picadilly to Kings X and then
sitting for over 4 hours on a "real" train.

I'm not sure there'll ever be a time when I don't find such tales
amusing! Though maybe I'm merely pleased that a few yanks do fulfil
the relevant stereotyping, which is perhaps a bit unfair on the rest
of them. I'm sure there's a whole contingent of Brits capable of
equally daft behaviour when abroad (or even when away from their home
patch), though I doubt this is helped by Ryanair selling flights to
Vienna's Bratislava airport...
Old January 10th 08, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Mizter T writes
m wrote:
"Tom Anderson" wrote:

[...]

Whenever this sort of thing comes up, I usually end up telling a story
or two.

I have had Americans confuse Windsor and Brighton, Oxford and Oxford
Street, ask for directions to Camelot and head off up to the Northern
end of the DLR in search of Shakespeare's Birthplace.

But then I've had Britons complaining *bitterly* that "the Dome isn't
next to the London Eye" , not recognise Big Ben [1] and try to get to
Covent Garden by standing at a bus stop [2] and waiting for a bus
labelled "Covent Garden" to come along.......

Taking Britons abroad I've heard complaints that Paris "hadn't used to
be this far", that the view of the Alps is "spoiled by all the mountains
in the way" and been admonished for speaking German to a hotelier when
sorting out a customer's problem "because I must have had something to
hide".

Overall, we tend to be more ignorant abroad than visitors to the UK are
about us. (European visitors in particular are generally very
knowledgeable and interested in Britain and its culture.)

though I doubt this is helped by Ryanair selling flights to
Vienna's Bratislava airport...

[1] And I don't ,mean in the sense that "Big Ben is actually the bell",
I mean actually ask what that clock tower is.

[2] Any bus stop, at random.

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old January 10th 08, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Though maybe I'm merely pleased that a few yanks do fulfil
the relevant stereotyping, which is perhaps a bit unfair on the rest
of them.

Thirty years ago, a friend and I were at Victoria on the Circle platforms.
Near us were An American Tourist, complete with cigars in pocket of flowery
shirt, and a Japanese couple. Japanese man walks up to yank and says
"Euston? Zis Tlain to Euston?". The yank says , "No, ya gartta go darn the
stayers t' th' urther plaatfoam". Jap stares in total confusion. American
then shouts at the Jap so loudly that it echoes along the platforms, "GO
DOWNO STAIRO TO OTHERO PLATFORMO".

Old January 11th 08, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Jan, 14:53, Tom Anderson wrote:
For your daily dose of crazy, with some interesting boring pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLL2s...?v=cZDcp-2DYyY

Where do Americans get those voiceover guys?

Where do they get these crazy Ra-Ra Technologists who think because
something is physically possible it is almost inevitable? Have they
ever stopped to think how the might rescue passengers from a derailed/
burning/disabled train 1500 miles from land? Not to mention if a train
even just breaks down it could trap many other following trains in the
tunnel with it. As for doing 5000 mph in the tunnel - only possible
with the tunnel in vacuum which makes evacuating a train equivalent to
docking with the space station not to mention the extra pressure the
tunnel will have to put up with from the external ocean. Its all total
******** but it makes a nice Boys Own style documentary I suppose.

B2003

Old January 11th 08, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
On 10 Jan, 14:53, Tom Anderson wrote:
For your daily dose of crazy, with some interesting boring pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLL2s...?v=cZDcp-2DYyY

Where do Americans get those voiceover guys?

Where do they get these crazy Ra-Ra Technologists who think because
something is physically possible it is almost inevitable?

Quite. The Croxley Link is physically possible, but ut seems to be anything
but inevitable.

Have they
ever stopped to think how the might rescue passengers from a derailed/
burning/disabled train 1500 miles from land?

It doesn't matter - no company, individual or government will pour money
into a project which will take 100 years to show a return. Just think how
many changes of government would occur in the meantime, any one of which
could cancel the project.

Old January 11th 08, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Jan, 12:45, "John Rowland"
wrote:
It doesn't matter - no company, individual or government will pour money
into a project which will take 100 years to show a return. Just think how
many changes of government would occur in the meantime, any one of which
could cancel the project.

I don't think it would ever make a return. They cited 12 TRILLION
dollars to build. Assuming once its built it transports 10,000
passengers a day for a ticket price of $10,000 each , it'll require
10^12 / (10,000 * 10,000) = 120,000 days just to break even on
construction costs alone - thats 328 years! When you factor in
maintenance and running costs the figures would probably be laughable.
Of course that won't stop Terence Beardy-Bloke type engineers waxing
lyrical about how it could be just round the corner , along with the
space elevator and bases on Mars.
B2003

Old January 11th 08, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:41:21 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Though maybe I'm merely pleased that a few yanks do fulfil
the relevant stereotyping, which is perhaps a bit unfair on the rest
of them.

Thirty years ago, a friend and I were at Victoria on the Circle platforms.
Near us were An American Tourist, complete with cigars in pocket of flowery
shirt, and a Japanese couple. Japanese man walks up to yank and says
"Euston? Zis Tlain to Euston?". The yank says , "No, ya gartta go darn the
stayers t' th' urther plaatfoam". Jap stares in total confusion.

I'm mildly amused that the Yank knew which way it was to Euston.

American
then shouts at the Jap so loudly that it echoes along the platforms, "GO
DOWNO STAIRO TO OTHERO PLATFORMO".

Similar to the infamous example from old documentary about Angel Station
and the booking clerk saying "take the lift and go on stop northbound to
Kings Cross and change for the PicclyDickly line".

--
Paul C