Old January 16th 08, 11:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 16/01/2008 - London Lite

On 16 Jan, 21:13, Roland Perry wrote:
I dont normally read the London Lite but an article caught my eye. There was
on an article on the average house prices around each station. The houses
had to be within half a mile of the station. Apperently Hatton Cross has the
cheapest house prices. I forget which station has the most expensive.

I'm surprised anyone lives within half a mile of Hatton Cross. You'd
have to be either a plane spotter or deaf!!

Isn't Hatton Cross also within the Heathrow perimeter? In which case,
with the exception of security guards and possibly the occasional long-
term Travelodge-dweller, you wouldn't really expect there to be any
houses even for deaf plane-spotters...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old January 16th 08, 11:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Jan, 00:09, John B wrote:
On 16 Jan, 21:13, Roland Perry wrote:

I dont normally read the London Lite but an article caught my eye. There was
on an article on the average house prices around each station. The houses
had to be within half a mile of the station. Apperently Hatton Cross has the
cheapest house prices. I forget which station has the most expensive.

I'm surprised anyone lives within half a mile of Hatton Cross. You'd
have to be either a plane spotter or deaf!!

Isn't Hatton Cross also within the Heathrow perimeter? In which case,
with the exception of security guards and possibly the occasional long-
term Travelodge-dweller, you wouldn't really expect there to be any
houses even for deaf plane-spotters...

There are several clusters of houses in Hatton within half a mile of
the station - e.g. on Hatton Road, Myrtle Avenue, Fagg's Road, Green
Man Lane, Dockwell Close...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=509615&y=175403

Hatton Cross station might well be within the perimeter of the airport
(however that is defined), but the above mentioned streets are not -
and some properties on these streets do fall within the half mile mark.
Old January 17th 08, 01:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 17, 12:05 am, Tom Anderson wrote:

True. I'm still surprised at the implication that prices in nice parts of
Z5/6 are apparently lower than in manky parts of Z2/3.

That does seem strange - but tube stations are more likely to be on
a main road surrounded by shops, so that the average for areas
further out is likely to be depressed by over-representation of
locally undesirable flats.
Not sure I've explained that very well! Basically a house in a
cheap area can still cost more than a flat in a posh one.

Did they try to correct for the nature of the property somehow
(only include 2-bed houses or something)?

Thanks

Henry
Old January 17th 08, 05:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
16:09:59 on Wed, 16 Jan 2008, John B remarked:
I dont normally read the London Lite but an article caught my eye. There was
on an article on the average house prices around each station. The houses
had to be within half a mile of the station. Apperently Hatton Cross has the
cheapest house prices. I forget which station has the most expensive.

I'm surprised anyone lives within half a mile of Hatton Cross. You'd
have to be either a plane spotter or deaf!!

Isn't Hatton Cross also within the Heathrow perimeter? In which case,
with the exception of security guards and possibly the occasional long-
term Travelodge-dweller, you wouldn't really expect there to be any
houses even for deaf plane-spotters...

I wonder what house prices they discovered half a mile from Heathrow
Central (and whatever that station "for the Dome" is called - does half
a mile get you across to the north bank of the river?)
Old January 17th 08, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Jan, 06:26, Roland Perry wrote:
and whatever that station "for the Dome" is called

There's an isolated terrace of houses that survived demolition of
everything else, complete with pub:
http://fancyapint.com/pubs/pub136.html

Just over half a mile away there's Greenwich Millennium Village, which
is a load of fancy flats.

does half a mile get you across to the north bank of the river?

Very nearly.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old January 17th 08, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:26:15AM -0800, Mizter T wrote:

I note that the houses assessed "had to be within half a mile of the
station" - factor in a mere 10 minutes walk and the overall picture
could be quite different.

Half a mile *is* about ten minutes walk.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Anyone willing to give up a little fun for tolerance deserves neither
Old January 17th 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

PS what do you call the subdivision of a circle that's the part of a
sector between two concentric circles? I'm calling it a block because
of hard disks, but it must have a proper name.

Pie squared?

Old January 17th 08, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:26:15 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

Hatton Cross is of course bang slap next to Heathrow airport!

Precisely. Who would want to live there!

The deaf.

Old January 17th 08, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Jan, 13:02, David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:26:15AM -0800, Mizter T wrote:
I note that the houses assessed "had to be within half a mile of the
station" - factor in a mere 10 minutes walk and the overall picture
could be quite different.

Half a mile *is* about ten minutes walk.

Hmm... you make a fair point, I guess it's just that walking fairly
briskly I cover (substantially?) more distance than that in 10 minutes
(and I'm not particularly lanky or anything!).

In fact I don't know what my walking speed is in mph, so perhaps I'll
determine it by doing an experiment or two.
Old January 17th 08, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...

They could break it down by zone, and have separate bar-charts for each.
Or how about some kind of crazy pie-chart, like a dartboard, with each
sector allocated to a line, in roughly the order they head out of London,
each ring corresponding to a zone, and then the height of a 3D tower
rising from each block corresponding to the price?

tom

PS what do you call the subdivision of a circle that's the part of a
sector between two concentric circles? I'm calling it a block because of
hard disks, but it must have a proper name.

Is it an annular sector?

Paul S