London Banter

-   -   16/01/2008 - London Lite (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6102-16-01-2008-london-lite.html)

No Name January 16th 08 05:49 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

I dont normally read the London Lite but an article caught my eye. There was
on an article on the average house prices around each station. The houses
had to be within half a mile of the station. Apperently Hatton Cross has the
cheapest house prices. I forget which station has the most expensive. It
would be nice to see the full list of stations and their house prices rather
than the limited ones the London Lite printed. The East London Line is the
cheapest for house prices followed by the Central Line.

Mizter T January 16th 08 06:26 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On 16 Jan, 18:49, wrote:
I dont normally read the London Lite but an article caught my eye. There was
on an article on the average house prices around each station. The houses
had to be within half a mile of the station. Apperently Hatton Cross has the
cheapest house prices. I forget which station has the most expensive. It
would be nice to see the full list of stations and their house prices rather
than the limited ones the London Lite printed. The East London Line is the
cheapest for house prices followed by the Central Line.

Hatton Cross is of course bang slap next to Heathrow airport!

I can't immediately point you to anything offhand that fits the bill,
but there is a vast amount of information about house prices in the
various districts of London out there on the net. Of course as a
general rule of thumb one can expect house prices in the vicinity of
Underground stations to be higher.

I note that the houses assessed "had to be within half a mile of the
station" - factor in a mere 10 minutes walk and the overall picture
could be quite different.

sweek January 16th 08 07:14 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

This appeared on the Going Underground blog:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2341/...65864844f3.jpg

As the Circle line runs exclusively in Zone 1, I suppose I shouldn't
have been too surprised about the result. The least expensive stop on
the Circle Line is Aldgate, with average property values hovering
around £396,000.

The Victoria Line came as the next most expensive line to buy property
on, with average prices reaching £1,109,107. Green Park was most
expensive stop for property on the Victoria Line with average house
prices above £2 million. The least expensive stop was Tottenham Hale.

"We were somewhat surprised to find the District Line appear in the
seventh position, given it includes areas such as Fulham, Richmond and
Wimbledon and follows the Circle Line through many parts of Central
London. It would be interesting to see where the East London Line
would rank today if the 2010 extension was already in place." said
Michael O'Flynn, from FindaProperty. Apparently the Essex parts of the
District Line weakened its overall average.

The Waterloo & City Line came in at last place as there are "minimal
residential pockets" around Waterloo and Bank stations.

Paul Corfield January 16th 08 08:12 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:26:15 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

On 16 Jan, 18:49, wrote:
I dont normally read the London Lite but an article caught my eye. There was
on an article on the average house prices around each station. The houses
had to be within half a mile of the station. Apperently Hatton Cross has the
cheapest house prices. I forget which station has the most expensive. It
would be nice to see the full list of stations and their house prices rather
than the limited ones the London Lite printed. The East London Line is the
cheapest for house prices followed by the Central Line.

Hatton Cross is of course bang slap next to Heathrow airport!

Precisely. Who would want to live there!

I can't immediately point you to anything offhand that fits the bill,
but there is a vast amount of information about house prices in the
various districts of London out there on the net. Of course as a
general rule of thumb one can expect house prices in the vicinity of
Underground stations to be higher.

As you say there's a massive volume of high price info published on a
regular basis. A few google searches for estate agent websites would
soon identify the price ranges.
--
Paul C

Roland Perry January 16th 08 08:13 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

In message , at 18:49:47 on
Wed, 16 Jan 2008, remarked:
I dont normally read the London Lite but an article caught my eye. There was
on an article on the average house prices around each station. The houses
had to be within half a mile of the station. Apperently Hatton Cross has the
cheapest house prices. I forget which station has the most expensive. It
would be nice to see the full list of stations and their house prices rather
than the limited ones the London Lite printed. The East London Line is the
cheapest for house prices followed by the Central Line.

LUL stations only? If all stations then Esher would probably win,
although Barbican might give it a good run for its money.

I'm surprised anyone lives within half a mile of Hatton Cross. You'd
have to be either a plane spotter or deaf!!

Roland Perry January 16th 08 08:19 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

In message
, at
11:26:15 on Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Mizter T remarked:
I note that the houses assessed "had to be within half a mile of the
station" - factor in a mere 10 minutes walk and the overall picture
could be quite different.

When I lived near a commuter station, just outside the M25, my rule of
thumb for house prices (of otherwise similar properties) was 2% per
minute's walk from the station. [Actually it was £1,000, but the average
prices for say a three bed semi were about £50k; probably about £300k
now].

Tom Anderson January 16th 08 08:29 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, sweek wrote:

This appeared on the Going Underground blog:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2341/...65864844f3.jpg

For those who'd actually like to read the article:

http://london-underground.blogspot.c...-property.html

As the Circle line runs exclusively in Zone 1, I suppose I shouldn't
have been too surprised about the result. The least expensive stop on
the Circle Line is Aldgate, with average property values hovering
around £396,000.

The Victoria Line came as the next most expensive line to buy property
on, with average prices reaching £1,109,107. Green Park was most
expensive stop for property on the Victoria Line with average house
prices above £2 million. The least expensive stop was Tottenham Hale.

Like the Circle, it doesn't go that far out - the five northern and three
southern stations in marginal-to-scummy areas have eight stops in rather
nice and/or central parts of town to balance them.

The Bakerloo comes third and the H&C fourth, and those are also lines
which have smaller-than-average suburban parts, as they only protrude from
central London on one side. The same's true of the Met, of course, which
manages to be quite a bit cheaper. Are houses not that much up in the
wilds of Harrow, Northwood and Ruislip, then?

"We were somewhat surprised to find the District Line appear in the
seventh position, given it includes areas such as Fulham, Richmond and
Wimbledon and follows the Circle Line through many parts of Central
London.

It's also the East End Main Line!

The Waterloo & City Line came in at last place as there are "minimal
residential pockets" around Waterloo and Bank stations.

Minimal and cheap, presumably, which surprises me.

tom

--
It's amazing how often conversations with you have the imaginary sound
of human bones being crushed to rubble in the background. -- itchyfidget,

asdf January 16th 08 10:34 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:29:44 +0000, Tom Anderson wrote:

[...]

To my mind, the Met manages to largely avoid the less salubrious areas
of London. I think it's more that the Met is more heavily weighted
towards the outer suburbs - it has fewer stations than average in Zone
1, then skips Zones 2/3 almost completely, and has lots of stations in
Zones 5/6 and out in the sticks (a quick glance at the Tube map
suggests that perhaps a third of all Z5/6 Tube stations are on the
Met).

Meanwhile, the Bakerloo passes through some pretty scummy areas, yet
comes out near the top thanks to having plenty of stations in Z1/2 and
only one suburban branch (that only just makes it out as far as Z5).

The whole table is basically meaningless; as you suggest, it's more a
measure of how a line's stops are distributed in terms of distance
from the centre than how pleasant they are to live on. If they'd
somehow managed to factor distance out of their calculations, they
might have got more interesting results.

Tom Anderson January 16th 08 11:05 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, asdf wrote:

[...]

True. I'm still surprised at the implication that prices in nice parts of
Z5/6 are apparently lower than in manky parts of Z2/3.

The whole table is basically meaningless; as you suggest, it's more a
measure of how a line's stops are distributed in terms of distance from
the centre than how pleasant they are to live on. If they'd somehow
managed to factor distance out of their calculations, they might have
got more interesting results.

They could break it down by zone, and have separate bar-charts for each.
Or how about some kind of crazy pie-chart, like a dartboard, with each
sector allocated to a line, in roughly the order they head out of London,
each ring corresponding to a zone, and then the height of a 3D tower
rising from each block corresponding to the price?

tom

PS what do you call the subdivision of a circle that's the part of a
sector between two concentric circles? I'm calling it a block because of
hard disks, but it must have a proper name.

--
Dude, read Aquinas if you want intelligent. This is the internet.

John B January 16th 08 11:09 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On 16 Jan, 21:13, Roland Perry wrote:
I dont normally read the London Lite but an article caught my eye. There was
on an article on the average house prices around each station. The houses
had to be within half a mile of the station. Apperently Hatton Cross has the
cheapest house prices. I forget which station has the most expensive.

I'm surprised anyone lives within half a mile of Hatton Cross. You'd
have to be either a plane spotter or deaf!!

Isn't Hatton Cross also within the Heathrow perimeter? In which case,
with the exception of security guards and possibly the occasional long-
term Travelodge-dweller, you wouldn't really expect there to be any
houses even for deaf plane-spotters...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Mizter T January 16th 08 11:50 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On 17 Jan, 00:09, John B wrote:
On 16 Jan, 21:13, Roland Perry wrote:

I dont normally read the London Lite but an article caught my eye. There was
on an article on the average house prices around each station. The houses
had to be within half a mile of the station. Apperently Hatton Cross has the
cheapest house prices. I forget which station has the most expensive.

I'm surprised anyone lives within half a mile of Hatton Cross. You'd
have to be either a plane spotter or deaf!!

Isn't Hatton Cross also within the Heathrow perimeter? In which case,
with the exception of security guards and possibly the occasional long-
term Travelodge-dweller, you wouldn't really expect there to be any
houses even for deaf plane-spotters...

There are several clusters of houses in Hatton within half a mile of
the station - e.g. on Hatton Road, Myrtle Avenue, Fagg's Road, Green
Man Lane, Dockwell Close...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=509615&y=175403

Hatton Cross station might well be within the perimeter of the airport
(however that is defined), but the above mentioned streets are not -
and some properties on these streets do fall within the half mile mark.

Henry January 17th 08 01:47 AM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On Jan 17, 12:05 am, Tom Anderson wrote:

True. I'm still surprised at the implication that prices in nice parts of
Z5/6 are apparently lower than in manky parts of Z2/3.

That does seem strange - but tube stations are more likely to be on
a main road surrounded by shops, so that the average for areas
further out is likely to be depressed by over-representation of
locally undesirable flats.
Not sure I've explained that very well! Basically a house in a
cheap area can still cost more than a flat in a posh one.

Did they try to correct for the nature of the property somehow
(only include 2-bed houses or something)?

Thanks

Henry

Roland Perry January 17th 08 05:26 AM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

In message
, at
16:09:59 on Wed, 16 Jan 2008, John B remarked:
I dont normally read the London Lite but an article caught my eye. There was
on an article on the average house prices around each station. The houses
had to be within half a mile of the station. Apperently Hatton Cross has the
cheapest house prices. I forget which station has the most expensive.

I'm surprised anyone lives within half a mile of Hatton Cross. You'd
have to be either a plane spotter or deaf!!

Isn't Hatton Cross also within the Heathrow perimeter? In which case,
with the exception of security guards and possibly the occasional long-
term Travelodge-dweller, you wouldn't really expect there to be any
houses even for deaf plane-spotters...

I wonder what house prices they discovered half a mile from Heathrow
Central (and whatever that station "for the Dome" is called - does half
a mile get you across to the north bank of the river?)

Mr Thant January 17th 08 09:41 AM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On 17 Jan, 06:26, Roland Perry wrote:
and whatever that station "for the Dome" is called

There's an isolated terrace of houses that survived demolition of
everything else, complete with pub:
http://fancyapint.com/pubs/pub136.html

Just over half a mile away there's Greenwich Millennium Village, which
is a load of fancy flats.

does half a mile get you across to the north bank of the river?

Very nearly.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

David Cantrell January 17th 08 12:02 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:26:15AM -0800, Mizter T wrote:

I note that the houses assessed "had to be within half a mile of the
station" - factor in a mere 10 minutes walk and the overall picture
could be quite different.

Half a mile *is* about ten minutes walk.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Anyone willing to give up a little fun for tolerance deserves neither

John Rowland January 17th 08 12:11 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

Tom Anderson wrote:

PS what do you call the subdivision of a circle that's the part of a
sector between two concentric circles? I'm calling it a block because
of hard disks, but it must have a proper name.

Pie squared?

John Rowland January 17th 08 12:12 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

wrote:

Hatton Cross is of course bang slap next to Heathrow airport!

Precisely. Who would want to live there!

The deaf.

Mizter T January 17th 08 12:34 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On 17 Jan, 13:02, David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:26:15AM -0800, Mizter T wrote:
I note that the houses assessed "had to be within half a mile of the
station" - factor in a mere 10 minutes walk and the overall picture
could be quite different.

Half a mile *is* about ten minutes walk.

Hmm... you make a fair point, I guess it's just that walking fairly
briskly I cover (substantially?) more distance than that in 10 minutes
(and I'm not particularly lanky or anything!).

In fact I don't know what my walking speed is in mph, so perhaps I'll
determine it by doing an experiment or two.

Paul Scott January 17th 08 04:05 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...

They could break it down by zone, and have separate bar-charts for each.
Or how about some kind of crazy pie-chart, like a dartboard, with each
sector allocated to a line, in roughly the order they head out of London,
each ring corresponding to a zone, and then the height of a 3D tower
rising from each block corresponding to the price?

tom

PS what do you call the subdivision of a circle that's the part of a
sector between two concentric circles? I'm calling it a block because of
hard disks, but it must have a proper name.

Is it an annular sector?

Paul S

No Name January 17th 08 07:31 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
On 17 Jan, 06:26, Roland Perry wrote:
and whatever that station "for the Dome" is called

There's an isolated terrace of houses that survived demolition of
everything else, complete with pub:
http://fancyapint.com/pubs/pub136.html

Just over half a mile away there's Greenwich Millennium Village, which
is a load of fancy flats.

does half a mile get you across to the north bank of the river?

Very nearly.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Hattton Cross - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatton_Cross

From reading I'm suprised passenger numbers for the station are relatively
high.

No Name January 17th 08 08:30 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 20:31:56 on
Thu, 17 Jan 2008, remarked:
Hattton Cross -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatton_Cross

From reading I'm suprised passenger numbers for the station are relatively
high.

Airport workers (overall, there's almost one for each passenger-per-day
through the airport).

You mean they get the Underground for one stop? Hardly worth it is it?

Mizter T January 17th 08 08:39 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On 17 Jan, 20:55, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:31:56 on
Thu, 17 Jan 2008, remarked:

Hattton Cross - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatton_Cross

From reading I'm suprised passenger numbers for the station are relatively
high.

Airport workers (overall, there's almost one for each passenger-per-day
through the airport).

Really?! That's a somewhat astounding stat.

Regarding passenger numbers at Hatton Cross, the figures on Wikipedia
are for 2006 - and from January 2005 (I think) until September 2006
the Piccadilly line loop to Terminal 4 was closed for construction of
the junction and line to the new Terminal 5 station. Therefore for
over eight months of that year, most of those arriving by tube and
heading for T4 would have exited at Hatton Cross to catch the
replacement bus to T4.

Nevertheless taking the tube from Hatton Cross to is a nifty way of
getting to and from the central Heathrow complex (i.e. terminals 1,2 &
3). One could presume that many local workers use this route, perhaps
arriving at Hatton Cross by bus or car (whether being dropped off or
parking in the car park) - and indeed I dare suggest this might well
be regarded as a nifty route by many others "in the know".

Actually accessing the central Heathrow complex on foot is no longer
possible - though there is apparently a free shuttle bus that goes
through the tunnel that emerges in the north by Bath Road/the A4.
Wikipedia tells me that there are two smaller tunnels that did used to
be dedicated for pedestrians and cyclists, though these have now been
modified to take a lane of cars, with cyclists apparently having
priority and pedestrians getting booted out. I'm mildly intrigued -
one day I'll go and investigate this arrangement.

Mizter T January 17th 08 08:57 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On 17 Jan, 21:30, wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote:

In message , at 20:31:56 on
Thu, 17 Jan 2008, remarked:
Hattton Cross -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatton_Cross

From reading I'm suprised passenger numbers for the station are relatively
high.

Airport workers (overall, there's almost one for each passenger-per-day
through the airport).

You mean they get the Underground for one stop? Hardly worth it is it?

As I point out in my other post, there isn't any way of easily walking
to the central Heathrow complex from Hatton Cross. Look at a street
map...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...75750&z=2&ar=N

...and you'll see that a pedestrian would have to walk north along
Eastchurch Road, west along the Northern Perimeter Road then catch the
shuttle bus from wherever it is that it leaves from to go into
Heathrow (and I've looked and failed to find any information about
this shuttle bus on the Heathrow website).

The other option for pedestrians is to walk to Terminal 4 then catch
the Heathrow Express train to Terminals 1,2 & 3 - though they do only
go every 15 minutes, so the Piccadilly line does seem like a good
option.

Plus a Hatton Cross - Heathrow fare is just £1 at any time on Oyster
PAYG.

John B January 17th 08 09:19 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On 16 Jan, 21:12, Paul Corfield wrote:
Hatton Cross is of course bang slap next to Heathrow airport!

Precisely. Who would want to live there!

After today, thrill-seekers?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Tom Anderson January 18th 08 12:23 AM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Henry wrote:

On Jan 17, 12:05 am, Tom Anderson wrote:

True. I'm still surprised at the implication that prices in nice parts
of Z5/6 are apparently lower than in manky parts of Z2/3.

That does seem strange - but tube stations are more likely to be on a
main road surrounded by shops, so that the average for areas further out
is likely to be depressed by over-representation of locally undesirable
flats. Not sure I've explained that very well! Basically a house in a
cheap area can still cost more than a flat in a posh one.

No, i get it - in the outer suburbs, there are town centres around the
stations, with shops and cheap, undesirable housing, with the leafy lanes
of big expensive houses further out. Makes perfect sense.

Did they try to correct for the nature of the property somehow (only
include 2-bed houses or something)?

I don't believe so.

tom

--
It's just really ****ing good and that's all. -- Gabe, on the Macintosh

Tom Anderson January 18th 08 12:30 AM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Paul Scott wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...

PS what do you call the subdivision of a circle that's the part of a
sector between two concentric circles? I'm calling it a block because
of hard disks, but it must have a proper name.

Is it an annular sector?

Aha. That's certainly what this report on people being exposed to
radiation from a reprocessing plant calls them:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/li...eis0220_4.html

This analysis of outgassing calls them 'annulus sectors', which comes to
much the same thing:

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/genesis/Outgassing.html

tom

--
It's just really ****ing good and that's all. -- Gabe, on the Macintosh

Roland Perry January 18th 08 05:38 AM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

In message , at 21:30:27 on
Thu, 17 Jan 2008, remarked:
From reading I'm suprised passenger numbers for the station are relatively
high.

Airport workers (overall, there's almost one for each passenger-per-day
through the airport).

You mean they get the Underground for one stop? Hardly worth it is it?

The airport workers concerned are arriving at Hatton Cross because there
are many airport related facilities nearby.

Roland Perry January 18th 08 05:45 AM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

In message
, at
13:39:36 on Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Mizter T remarked:
Nevertheless taking the tube from Hatton Cross to is a nifty way of
getting to and from the central Heathrow complex (i.e. terminals 1,2 &
3). One could presume that many local workers use this route, perhaps
arriving at Hatton Cross by bus or car (whether being dropped off or
parking in the car park) - and indeed I dare suggest this might well
be regarded as a nifty route by many others "in the know".

I wasn't really thinking about those airport workers, but I think BA may
have quite a large staff car park in the vicinity. One might expect them
to have a private shuttle bus for staff, though.

Actually accessing the central Heathrow complex on foot is no longer
possible - though there is apparently a free shuttle bus that goes
through the tunnel that emerges in the north by Bath Road/the A4.
Wikipedia tells me that there are two smaller tunnels that did used to
be dedicated for pedestrians and cyclists,

and taxis, wasn't it?

though these have now been modified to take a lane of cars, with
cyclists apparently having priority and pedestrians getting booted out.
I'm mildly intrigued - one day I'll go and investigate this arrangement.

The smaller tunnels are also planned to be repurposed yet again - for
phase 2 of the pod-trains (if the trial at terminal 5 is a success).

John Rowland January 18th 08 12:29 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

Mizter T wrote:

Wikipedia tells me that there are two smaller tunnels that did used to
be dedicated for pedestrians and cyclists, though these have now been
modified to take a lane of cars, with cyclists apparently having
priority and pedestrians getting booted out. I'm mildly intrigued -
one day I'll go and investigate this arrangement.

The southbound tunnel is heavily used as a handy way to get into the
airport. I find it mildly scary because the walls and roof are so close to
the vehicle that it feels like playing that kids game where you move a metal
loop along a metal wire and mustn't position it even a centimetre wrong or
the bell will ring. The northbound one seems even narrower and lower, and is
virtually unused because there is a forced left turn at the northern end,
meaning it's no use unless you want the A4 to Colnbrook.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...2826&encType=1
shows the red cycle path encouraging cyclists to use the middle rather than
hug the kerb where some fool might try to overtake them. There is a similar
marking on the southbound one.

Michael R N Dolbear January 18th 08 12:33 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

Mizter T wrote

You mean they get the Underground for one stop? Hardly worth it is

it?

As I point out in my other post, there isn't any way of easily

walking
to the central Heathrow complex from Hatton Cross. Look at a street

Plus a Hatton Cross - Heathrow fare is just £1 at any time on Oyster

PAYG.

But any bus trip within the Heathrow complex is free which includes
Hatton Cross to Terminal 4 or Harlington corner / Heathrow central bus
station (mentioned on the web site I think but I am actually looking at
the 555 timetable leaflet).

--
Mike D

tim \(not at home\) January 18th 08 04:36 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

"Mizter T" wrote in message
On 17 Jan, 20:55, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:31:56 on
Thu, 17 Jan 2008, remarked:

Hattton Cross - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatton_Cross

From reading I'm suprised passenger numbers for the station are
relatively
[...]

Aren't all the buses free or did they stop that?

tim

Martin Rich January 20th 08 09:58 AM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:05:52 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
th.li...

They could break it down by zone, and have separate bar-charts for each.
Or how about some kind of crazy pie-chart, like a dartboard, with each
sector allocated to a line, in roughly the order they head out of London,
each ring corresponding to a zone, and then the height of a 3D tower
rising from each block corresponding to the price?

tom

PS what do you call the subdivision of a circle that's the part of a
sector between two concentric circles? I'm calling it a block because of
hard disks, but it must have a proper name.

Is it an annular sector?

Paul S

I thought annulus but I could be wrong

Martin

James Farrar January 20th 08 03:12 PM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
rth.li...

They could break it down by zone, and have separate bar-charts for each.
Or how about some kind of crazy pie-chart, like a dartboard, with each
sector allocated to a line, in roughly the order they head out of London,
each ring corresponding to a zone, and then the height of a 3D tower
rising from each block corresponding to the price?

tom

PS what do you call the subdivision of a circle that's the part of a
sector between two concentric circles? I'm calling it a block because of
hard disks, but it must have a proper name.

Is it an annular sector?

Paul S

I thought annulus but I could be wrong

An annulus is a complete ring between two concentric circles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annulus_%28mathematics%29

Martin Rich January 22nd 08 07:16 AM

16/01/2008 - London Lite

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:12:29 +0000, James Farrar
wrote:

snipped

Is it an annular sector?

Paul S

I thought annulus but I could be wrong

An annulus is a complete ring between two concentric circles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annulus_%28mathematics%29

Sorry - you're right. It's a long time since I did any geometry

Martin