Old January 18th 08, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victoria Line early closures

I hadn't noticed any publicity until this evening, but there are now
yellow stickers on the line diagrams in trains announcing more early
closures on the Victoria Line.

It seems to be the same timings as last autumn's closure, and will be
on Mondays to Thursdays from 4th February until "late November".

Full details can be found at http://preview.tinyurl.com/yu885v [pdf]

Now, is it just me, or is this rather short notice for something which
is going to affect rather a lot of people for quite a long time? Or
have the plans long been available in the bottom of a locked filing
cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying
'Beware of the Leopard'?

- martin

Old January 19th 08, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

martin wrote:
I hadn't noticed any publicity until this evening,

Me neither - it does come across as short notice indeed. And that PDF is
dated January 2008 too.
Old January 19th 08, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:24:36 -0800 (PST), martin
wrote:

I hadn't noticed any publicity until this evening, but there are now
yellow stickers on the line diagrams in trains announcing more early
closures on the Victoria Line.

It seems to be the same timings as last autumn's closure, and will be
on Mondays to Thursdays from 4th February until "late November".

Full details can be found at http://preview.tinyurl.com/yu885v [pdf]

Now, is it just me, or is this rather short notice for something which
is going to affect rather a lot of people for quite a long time? Or
have the plans long been available in the bottom of a locked filing
cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying
'Beware of the Leopard'?

I hadn't heard anything until about 3 days ago. I was somewhat surprised
we were being subjected to almost a year's worth of early closures. The
odd weekend closure I can understand but I'm not very happy with months
more of late night stuff even though I don't make a lot of use of late
night services. When I have been out in town it's a pain having to
remember to scuttle off early so you can get home sensibly rather than
multiple changes in central London and then the joy of a bus and then
your final connection home.

Still as the internal web page says "it's all necessary so we get to the
new Victoria Line".
--
Paul C

Old January 19th 08, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

Still as the internal web page says "it's all necessary so we get to the
new Victoria Line".

Indeed. I think the point has been made many times that we all moan
about the endless delays because of old points, signalling, etc. Yet
when they close parts of the line to modernise they get even more moans.

I've been in a tunnel for an hour waiting for the Victoria line to get a
new flint fitted :-) The sooner they get it fixed the better.

While we're taking about the Victoria Line can someone fix the computer
to make the breaking less last minute and less fierce. It's the only
line that seems to routinely try to throw everyone on the floor !

--
Edward Cowling "Must go - Got to rub lard on the Cat's boil !"

Old January 19th 08, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:44:10 +0000, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

Still as the internal web page says "it's all necessary so we get to the
new Victoria Line".

Indeed. I think the point has been made many times that we all moan
about the endless delays because of old points, signalling, etc. Yet
when they close parts of the line to modernise they get even more moans.

Fair comment but I'd personally prefer to have known last year that the
early closures were to continue. Instead the publicity strongly hinted,
last November, that "it was all over and thanks very much Victoria Line
passengers for your patience".

I sincerely hope I am proved wrong but I fear that the actual migration
firstly to the new trains running on the current signalling and then the
move to new trains and new signalling will be far from smooth. I don't
think I'll be able to tolerate weeks and weeks of failed trains and
repeated signal glitches if things go wrong to the same extent as we've
had in the past with the Central Line upgrade, new Northern Line trains
and then Jubilee Line Extension. Let's hope all the hard work that
loads of people are putting in now gives us a smooth transition.

I've been in a tunnel for an hour waiting for the Victoria line to get a
new flint fitted :-) The sooner they get it fixed the better.

While we're taking about the Victoria Line can someone fix the computer
to make the breaking less last minute and less fierce. It's the only
line that seems to routinely try to throw everyone on the floor !

Unlikely to be the computer itself. Either a fault with a particular
train or a failure of a signalling / control component at one particular
location.
--
Paul C

Old January 19th 08, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

While we're taking about the Victoria Line can someone fix the computer
to make the breaking less last minute and less fierce. It's the only
line that seems to routinely try to throw everyone on the floor !

Unlikely to be the computer itself. Either a fault with a particular
train or a failure of a signalling / control component at one particular
location.

No. I travel on most of the lines and the Victoria Line had definite
"jump on the anchors" problems. I now lean against the glass partition
until the train has come to a complete standstill. It's far to
consistent to be just an isolated thing. Mind you isn't the Victoria
line the only line where humans don't do the driving ? There might be
the problem !

--
Edward Cowling "Must go - Got to rub lard on the Cat's boil !"

Old January 19th 08, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling London UK wrote

While we're taking about the Victoria Line can someone fix the

computer
to make the breaking less last minute and less fierce. It's the only
line that seems to routinely try to throw everyone on the floor !

Huh ?

Whereabouts is this ?

I have never noticed anything out of the way (compared with Pic or
Northern line) but I usually travel Vauxhall to Highbury & Islington
outwards and Kings+ to Oxford Circus inwards.

--
Mike D

Old January 19th 08, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:44:10 +0000, Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

While we're taking about the Victoria Line can someone fix the computer
to make the breaking less last minute and less fierce. It's the only
line that seems to routinely try to throw everyone on the floor !

Please don't; I'd rather have the faster journey times. More
grab-rails can be installed if necessary.
Old January 19th 08, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Jan, 17:30, asdf wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:44:10 +0000, Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

While we're taking about the Victoria Line can someone fix the computer
to make the breaking less last minute and less fierce. It's the only
line that seems to routinely try to throw everyone on the floor !

Please don't; I'd rather have the faster journey times. More
grab-rails can be installed if necessary.

I'm with you on that. One of the great things about the Victoria line
is that it is fast.
Old January 19th 08, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 01c85aae$d37aaa20$LocalHost@default, Michael R N Dolbear
writes

Edward Cowling London UK wrote

While we're taking about the Victoria Line can someone fix the

computer
to make the breaking less last minute and less fierce. It's the only
line that seems to routinely try to throw everyone on the floor !

Huh ?

Whereabouts is this ?

I have never noticed anything out of the way (compared with Pic or
Northern line) but I usually travel Vauxhall to Highbury & Islington
outwards and Kings+ to Oxford Circus inwards.

Hi fellow brother of the damned, I do the same awful route :-) I've
lost track of the times I've started to move towards the doors, only to
have the train stop dead and chuck me about. I don't get this on the
Piccadilly line.

Plus the trains don't wait at the platform like the human driven trains
do if there is a bad morning with the trains up ahead. They just stop in
the bloody tunnel.

All in all give me a human being at the wheel any day.

--
Edward Cowling "Must go - Got to rub lard on the Cat's boil !"