Old February 6th 08, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Euston - Northern Line (City Branch)

On 6 Feb, 15:48, Mike Bristow wrote:
Maybe they should split the Northern into two notionally separate lines,
Northern Bank Line and Northern Charing Cross Line.

I think that this is likely when the branches are split (ie, all
Charing X trains go to Edgeware and all Bank trains go to to Edgeware.
Or the other way round).

That'd be a bit annoying for people living in High Barnet ;-)

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old February 6th 08, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JL JL is offline

Not if it was the "other way round"!
Old February 6th 08, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 6 Feb, 16:17, JL wrote:
Not if it was the "other way round"!

Doesn't it depend on whether one branch is longer than the other, as
opposed to when one branch is shorter than the other?

Unless of course it's the other branch that's longer ...
Old February 6th 08, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
John B wrote:
On 6 Feb, 15:48, Mike Bristow wrote:
Maybe they should split the Northern into two notionally separate lines,
Northern Bank Line and Northern Charing Cross Line.

I think that this is likely when the branches are split (ie, all
Charing X trains go to Edgeware and all Bank trains go to to Edgeware.
Or the other way round).

That'd be a bit annoying for people living in High Barnet ;-)

Clearly people who live or work on that branch deserve to lose.

Some of them, anyway.

Mike (in Finchley).

--
Shenanigans! Shenanigans! Best of 3!
-- Flash

Old February 6th 08, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

At 07:56:48 on Wed, 6 Feb 2008 JL opined:-

Maybe they should split the Northern into two notionally separate lines,
Northern Bank Line and Northern Charing Cross Line.

That's exactly what TfL want to do.

Quote Wikipedia:

" TfL's Transport 2025 - Transport vision for a growing world [4]
confirms their ambition to split the Northern line into two segregated
routes. Running trains between all combinations of branches, as is
currently done, means only 22-25 trains per hour can run on each of
the central sections, because merging trains have to wait for each
other at the junctions. Segregating the routes will allow 30 trains
per hour on all parts of the system. However, Camden Town tube station
would need to be rebuilt before this could be implemented, as the
current station would not be able to cope with the increased number of
passengers changing trains there. LUL have however had problems
gaining bureaucratic approval of redevelopment plans[5]. "

I wasn't suggesting this, merely to stop referring to the Bank branch of
the Northern Line and the Charing Cross branch of the Northern Line.
OK, there would be large sections where both of the renamed lines would
overlap, but this happens in lots of other places.

This renaming could be followed in due course by the physical separation
of the lines.
--
Thoss

Old February 6th 08, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"thoss" wrote in message
[...]

I did wonder if these changes were part of a bigger plan to split the
branches as I've seen muted in the past.

Tube Lines engineers looking after the NL did seem rather keen on the idea
when I mentioned it in passing a few years.

It may be my imagination, but it does seem to make the Edgware branch more
reliable at least (in a week, not been turfed out at Hampstead or Golders
Green once on my commute to Brent Cross. If it stays this way, it'll be
great as I'll be moving workplace to Colindale from the end of March

Old February 6th 08, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, John B wrote:

On 6 Feb, 15:48, Mike Bristow wrote:

Maybe they should split the Northern into two notionally separate lines,
Northern Bank Line and Northern Charing Cross Line.

I think that this is likely when the branches are split (ie, all
Charing X trains go to Edgeware and all Bank trains go to to Edgeware.
Or the other way round).

That'd be a bit annoying for people living in High Barnet ;-)

Well, getting home would be a pain. But presumably, in this plan, to
preserve the symmetry, all Charing X trains start from High Barnet, and
all Bank trains start at High Barnet ...

Or maybe this plan implies resurrecting the Northern Heights plan, and
running High Barnet - East Finchley - Highgate HL - Finsbury Park -
Moorgate? In which case it would only be a bit annoying for people living
in High Barnet and working on the Charing X branch (although changing at
Highbury & Islington isn't so bad). Er, and for people living in Archway,
Tufnell Park and Kentish Town.

tom

--
you can't feel your stomack with glory -- Czako
Old February 6th 08, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 5, 6:46 pm, "Nicola Redwood" nicolaexternal-
wrote:

Anyone know if there is any reason behind a distinct lack of Northern Line
trains northbound to Edgware from the City Branch at Euston? (at least I
think it's the City branch - will double check the platform number tomorrow)
From last week certainly around 7:40am, there has been no Edgware branch
train indicated for at least 15 mins when I've come off the Victoria Line
southbound.

LOROL! There have been signs up for ages.
Old February 7th 08, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Anyone know if there is any reason behind a distinct lack of Northern
Line
trains northbound to Edgware from the City Branch at Euston? (at least I
think it's the City branch - will double check the platform number
tomorrow)
From last week certainly around 7:40am, there has been no Edgware branch
train indicated for at least 15 mins when I've come off the Victoria Line
southbound.

LOROL! There have been signs up for ages.

Believe me, if I'd seen a sign / poster I would have said so and I still
haven't - bear in mind I come off the southbound Victoria, go left up the
stairs then down the stairs and right to Northern line and cross from one
branch to the other at Camden.
At the very least, I'd have expected a poster between the High Barnet and
Edgware branches at Camden, but I haven't seen anything
I get the daily TfL email alerts and check the TfL website site twice a day
and haven't noticed a thing, apart from reference to weekend work

Old February 8th 08, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Anyone know if there is any reason behind a distinct lack of Northern
Line
trains northbound to Edgware from the City Branch at Euston? (at least I
think it's the City branch - will double check the platform number
tomorrow)
From last week certainly around 7:40am, there has been no Edgware branch
train indicated for at least 15 mins when I've come off the Victoria Line
southbound.

LOROL! There have been signs up for ages.

Believe me, if I'd seen a sign / poster I would have said so and I still
haven't - bear in mind I come off the southbound Victoria, go left up the
stairs then down the stairs and right to Northern line and cross from one
branch to the other at Camden.
At the very least, I'd have expected a poster between the High Barnet and
Edgware branches at Camden, but I haven't seen anything
I get the daily TfL email alerts and check the TfL website site twice a day
and haven't noticed a thing, apart from reference to weekend work

I get the Northern Line from London Bridge to Euston, then back again
at night, and had only seen the posters at the London Bridge end.