Old January 24th 07, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line trains terminating at Euston (southbound Bank branch)

Just taken a trip from Euston to London Bridge, and at Euston two
trains were showing on the indicator as terminating at Euston (with a
through train to Morden in between them). I've never seen this before;
I didn't know trains could terminate at Euston. Where would they
reverse?

Patrick

Old January 24th 07, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ernst S Blofeld wrote:
wrote:
Just taken a trip from Euston to London Bridge, and at Euston two
trains were showing on the indicator as terminating at Euston (with a
through train to Morden in between them). I've never seen this before;
I didn't know trains could terminate at Euston. Where would they
reverse?

Welcome to the Northern Line. Trains terminate at Euston quite
frequently when there are problems. I believe the Euston Loop comes into
play but someone will be along shortly to give the full details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euston_tube_station

ESB

Euston is also a good place to hold the train to regulate the service,
i.e. hold as many pasengers up as possible as euston is where the sb
trains are the most full.

It's all about lights on screens not getting the most people there the
quickest.

Old January 24th 07, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"stevo" wrote in message

Euston is also a good place to hold the train to regulate the service,
i.e. hold as many pasengers up as possible as euston is where the sb
trains are the most full.

Well said. Why inconvenience a few people when you can inconvenience
thousands?

Ian

Old January 25th 07, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I have never seen a loop on a Quail map at Euston.

"Ernst S Blofeld" wrote in message

Welcome to the Northern Line. Trains terminate at Euston quite frequently
when there are problems. I believe the Euston Loop comes into play but
someone will be along shortly to give the full details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euston_tube_station

ESB

It's not a loop as such... IIRC, terminating trains tip out at Euston,
cross over to the other line, and then onto the bit of track which links
the Northern with the Piccadilly Line. Driver changes ends (clear of
Northbound trains) and returns into service at Euston NB when a suitable
gap arises.

There aren't actually any services booked in the working timetable to
make this move (except perhaps for the odd rusty rail movement I haven't
spotted) but it does happen frequently to regulate the service.

Cheers

Steve M
Old January 25th 07, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I have never seen a loop on a Quail map at Euston.

I don't think I have ever seen it (never noticed it when passing by) but
there is something on this track diagram:
http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/...s/northern.jpg
And there is a connection to the Piccadilly Line there too. I don't know
how far it is from the Euston platforms though, a connection to the
Piccadilly Line seems to inply that it may be near King's Cross.

Also, look at the Layout and Connection sections of Clive's page about
the Northern Line:
http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/northern.html

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Old January 27th 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 25, 9:32 pm, Steve M wrote:
It's not a loop as such... IIRC, terminating trains tip out at Euston,
cross over to the other line, and then onto the bit of track which links
the Northern with the Piccadilly Line. Driver changes ends (clear of
Northbound trains) and returns into service at Euston NB when a suitable
gap arises.

You've got it _completely_ backwards - there's no tipping-out required
at all.

A driver at King's Cross n/b makes an announcement, then proceeds
towards signal J10, which has a lit No.4 feather. The train will
proceed straight ahead into the original C&SLR n/b tunnel, bypassing
the 1960s tunnel built to divert the n/b Northern to make space for
the Victoria Line tunnels. This tunnel leads to the original scissors
crossover cavern south of Euston, where the train uses a facing
crossover to switch to the s/b line and pull into the s/b platform at
Euston, where he stops and changes ends.

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Eu...0KX-leu5-4.gif refers.

Old January 27th 07, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:

On Jan 25, 9:32 pm, Steve M wrote:
[...]

Yes, that seems correct if reversing northbound to southbound. But the
original poster was asking about (or referring to) southbound to
northbound reversals, which would use said crossover after leaving
Euston SB and then run into the King's Cross loop to reverse. I've seen
trains do this on the internal systems at work, but not in practice. I
don't know how often NB to SB trains make the move you describe above,
but it'd be useful in times of service disruption, or a suspension
around Camden Town.

Cheers

Steve M
Old January 27th 07, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 27, 11:14 pm, Steve M wrote:
Yes, that seems correct if reversing northbound to southbound. But the
original poster was asking about (or referring to) southbound to
northbound reversals, which would use said crossover after leaving
Euston SB and then run into the King's Cross loop to reverse.

The OP was describing a journey _from_ Euston _to_ London Bridge,
which means that he would have been on the s/b City Branch platform,
which means that his description is ambiguous - the two terminators
shown could have come from either KX or Camden. Since his description
did not define it, and since a south-to-north reversal is somewhat
more painful due to the need to tip out, I assumed that he was
describing a north-to-south reversal.

I've seen trains do this on the internal systems at work, but not in practice. I
don't know how often NB to SB trains make the move you describe above,
but it'd be useful in times of service disruption, or a suspension
around Camden Town.

Before the 1960s n/b diversion Euston was a regular, timetabled
terminus for Northern Line services, which made use of the scissors
crossover that was provided for that purpose. These days I suspect
terminators at Euston are much more rare, albeit easier to handle when
doing north-to-south terminations, thanks to the wide platform.