Old February 13th 08, 11:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Overground new stock

Am Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:02:40 UTC, schrieb Paul Corfield
auf uk.railway :

Sorry but this time you are incorrect. The original post referred to a
leasing arrangement for the class 378 *electric* stock and not the
diesel order.

Ah, so, when those are different ... thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,
L.W.
37

Old February 13th 08, 11:35 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

Default Pound sterling symbol and usenet posts (was: Overground new stock)

Richard J. wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
P.S. An almost totally off topic question - should I avoid using the
pound sterling symbol "?" when posting to usenet? (I note that
Paul's post above has transferred the symbol into a "?" question
mark.)

I think the problem lies at your end. The post in which you wrote
"£250" was sent with (according to the headers):

It displays correctly on my PC, and so does Paul's reply. But all the
pound signs are rendered as "?" in the post that I'm replying to. In
that one, the headers include:

So it looks as if you've changed a setting somewhere between those two
posts.

HTH
--
Richard J.

Arrrghhh - I'm suffering from brain fade of the utmost order! The
setting that changed was in my mind rather than on my machine, and I
can assure you it wasn't intentional...

When typing the above I managed to substitute a "?" question mark when
I was trying to type a "£" pound sterling symbol - and in so doing
I've managed to cause a ridiculous confusion, so my utmost apologies!

Incidentally, looking back I see that Paul Corfield's post where he
quotes my previous post displays just fine - in fact when using Google
Groups (which, for my sins I use to post to usenet) there are two ways
of replying to a post, and when I use the simpler reply method then it
would appear to encode the post with the "quoted-printable" format, so
any previous "£" sterling symbols in the quoted text appear just fine.

Bizarrely it is when I use the ever-so-slightly more sophisticated
stand alone reply screen (the main benefit of which is that it allows
one to change the subject line, as I have just done) where which
encodes the post using the "7bit" format, and thus when I use this
screen I find that any "£" sterling symbols in the quoted text get
substituted by the "?" question mark character instead (so I've had to
symbol!). Confused... you will be! Or rather... I was!

I'm well aware that others use the GBP notation, but I do find it
somewhat cumbersome, especially on a uk.* newsgroup where I would
expect many readers usenet clients to be able to handle the correct
regional characters. So, how many people get gibberish when I say the
price of a One Day Bus Pass currently stands at £3.50?
Old February 13th 08, 11:49 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On 13 Feb, 23:49, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Mizter T wrote:
P.S. An almost totally off topic question - should I avoid using the
pound sterling symbol "?" when posting to usenet? (I note that Paul's
post above has transferred the symbol into a "?" question mark.)

Yes. I'm only seeing question marks here.

Unfortunately, as a result of mind-numbing stupidity on my part, you
were only seeing question marks because that's all that I typed! See
my other post on this if you really want to read me ramble on about
it!

If you just want to see a pound sterling symbol then here one is, in
all its glory:

£

The convention i see most often is to use ISO 4217 currency codes
postnumerically; for instance, i might assert that Sir Ian Blair is bent
as a 3 UKP note.

I'm thankful that it's not just me that's capable of making a blunder
when trying to clearly enunciate a particular point!

Though to be fair you were ever so quick to reply and correct
yourself!

What with all this talk of UKP perhaps you've been reading too many
UKIP election pamphlets. Gerard Batten for Mayor eh Tom?

Though I must say I do find UKIP's Nigel Farage MEP most entertaining.

Incidentally, should you be discussing transactions in the UIC franc,
that's XFU.

I positively want to get delayed on a train now, so that I can ask for
my compensatory Rail Travel Vouchers to be issued in UIC francs!
Old February 14th 08, 12:01 AM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On 14 Feb, 00:32, "Lüko Willms" wrote:
Am Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:02:40 UTC, schrieb Paul Corfield
auf uk.railway :

Sorry but this time you are incorrect. The original post referred to a
leasing arrangement for the class 378 *electric* stock and not the
diesel order.

Ah, so, when those are different ... thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,
L.W.

May I point you to the Underground map, which now features the TfL run
"London Overground" rail services on it - they are the lines with an
orange outline...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-Tube-map.gif

The class 172 trains will work the Gospel Oak to Barking line (north
east London)- the so-called "GOBLIN", though that's definitely an
unofficial name!

The only other diesel trains that provide an element of local service
in London are really just longer distance trains, and run out of
Marylebone and Paddington.
Old February 14th 08, 01:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Today at 00:35, Mizter T wrote:
I'm well aware that others use the GBP notation, but I do find it
somewhat cumbersome, especially on a uk.* newsgroup where I would
expect many readers usenet clients to be able to handle the correct
regional characters. So, how many people get gibberish when I say the
price of a One Day Bus Pass currently stands at £3.50?

You'd think that most reasonably modern newsreaders would be able to use
UTF-8, wouldn't you...

--
Kirk

Old February 14th 08, 06:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

There are also London Bridge - East Croydon [- Uckfield] class 171s, and
some Clapham Junction - Waterloo trains are diesels (though the other
way they are pick-up only?).

Plus East Croydon - Olympia on CrossCountry.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old February 14th 08, 06:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

I'm well aware that others use the GBP notation, but I do find it
somewhat cumbersome, especially on a uk.* newsgroup where I would
expect many readers usenet clients to be able to handle the correct
regional characters. So, how many people get gibberish when I say the
price of a One Day Bus Pass currently stands at £3.50?

Some. Then some more get gibberish when someone who got gibberish
replies to your post, quoting it, and so on.

There will also be some people who for bizarre reasons not worth going
into think that the symbol pronounced "pound" is a noughts-and-crosses
grid.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683711.html
(Class 120 unit at Manchester Victoria, Jun 1985)
Old February 14th 08, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:14:05 UTC, schrieb Michael Hoffman
auf uk.railway :

Heh. Just to be clear, the ISO 4217 currency code is GBP. I usually use
the currency code before the number much as I would an analphabetic
symbol for curency.

As you speak, so to say?

Cheers,
L.W.

Old February 14th 08, 07:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:35:36 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Mizter T
wrote this:-

So, how many people get gibberish when I say the
price of a One Day Bus Pass currently stands at £3.50?

I don't, I get a pound sign.

I suspect the reason for this is the "Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=ISO-8859-1" line at the begriming. Most computers, operating
systems and software should be able to display this character set
properly.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old February 14th 08, 08:16 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Except for the Paddington-Greenford service. I think that it and GOBLIN
are the only two diesel services that operate entirely within Greater
London.
--
Richard J.