Old February 15th 08, 12:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Pound sterling symbol and usenet posts

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Chris Tolley wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

I'm well aware that others use the GBP notation, but I do find it
somewhat cumbersome, especially on a uk.* newsgroup where I would
expect many readers usenet clients to be able to handle the correct
regional characters. So, how many people get gibberish when I say the
price of a One Day Bus Pass currently stands at £3.50?

Some. Then some more get gibberish when someone who got gibberish
replies to your post, quoting it, and so on.

There will also be some people who for bizarre reasons not worth going
into think that the symbol pronounced "pound" is a noughts-and-crosses
grid.

That's because the hash symbol in US keyboards is in the same place as our
pound symbol (shift 3).
Mike.

Old February 15th 08, 06:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Overground new stock

On 14 Feb, 09:16, "Richard J." wrote:
Mizter T wrote:
On 14 Feb, 00:32, "Lüko Willms" wrote:
Am Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:02:40 UTC, *schrieb Paul Corfield
*auf uk.railway :

Sorry but this time you are incorrect. The original post referred
to a leasing arrangement for the class 378 *electric* stock and
not the diesel order.

* Ah, so, when those are different ... thanks for the
clarification.

Cheers,
L.W.

May I point you to the Underground map, which now features the TfL
run "London Overground" rail services on it - they are the lines
with an orange outline...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-Tube-map.gif

The class 172 trains will work the Gospel Oak to Barking line (north
east London)- the so-called "GOBLIN", though that's definitely an
unofficial name!

The only other diesel trains that provide an element of local
service in London are really just longer distance trains, and run
out of Marylebone and Paddington.

Except for the Paddington-Greenford service. *I think that it and GOBLIN
are the only two diesel services that operate entirely within Greater
London.
--
Richard J.
(to e-mail me, swap uk and yon in address)- Hide quoted text -

Also, the 2035, 2135 and 2300 Southern services from London Bridge
which terminate at East Croydon and are formed of 171s off the
Uckfield line before they go back to Selhurst Depot.
Old February 15th 08, 07:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 00:35:02 +0000 someone who may be Tom Anderson
wrote this:-

There will also be some people who for bizarre reasons not worth going
into think that the symbol pronounced "pound" is a noughts-and-crosses
grid.

Astounding! As any fule know, this is called the octothorpe.

I call it a square.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old February 15th 08, 07:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Pound sterling symbol and usenet posts (was: Overground newstock)

On 14 Feb, 23:51, "Rev. CMOT TMPV"
wrote:
Once upon a time -- around about 2/13/08 19:35 --
possibly wrote:

So, how many people get gibberish when I say the
price of a One Day Bus Pass currently stands at £3.50?

Works fine here in the USA

Astounding! The whole of the USA? I mean, I knew that fare zones for
buses in London were phased out in the recent past, but I didn't
realise we got the USA thrown in as well! Perhaps that was part of the
deal Blair brokered with Bush... you know - the deal that never
happened, or at least that's what we were told.

So, do I get Greyhound coaches thrown in as well, or is it simply
local buses? I suspect the latter, still it's an amazingly good deal.
If it is only local buses then I guess the idea of trying to get from
one seaboard to the other might be thwarted - I'm presuming here that
weekly, monthly and annual London bus passes are good for this deal as
well?

Which brings me round to thinking about the new English National Bus
Pass scheme for those 60+ or with a qualifying disability that
launches in April, which will allow holder to have free *local bus*
travel between 9.30am and 11pm weekdays and all day at weekends. I'm
reminded of a story Peter Masson told of a challenge he set himself in
his youth, which was to circumnavigate London in a day - but using a
"Green Rover" ticket which only allowed for travel on London Country
buses (the green ones), not LT's Central area buses (the red ones). I
believe he managed to get most of the way round on his Green Rover,
though did have to pay a fare on one or two bus routes.

So thinking along these lines, I eagerly await hearing of older
English folk who will take on the challenge of trying to cover great
distances using their free national bus pass, obviously only using
local buses. It could start off relatively small - for example a
journey between London and Brighton, or Manchester to Leeds - but
then it could gradually mushroom - Leeds to Newcastle, Manchester to
Newcastle, London to Newcastle, indeed Brighton to Newcastle... and we
haven't even considered the south west yet, let alone Land's End.

Obviously many such trips couldn't be done in a day, so nights would
be spent in B&Bs. I can see it becoming an obsessional hobby amongst a
small number of devotees... it could get competitive - who can get
from there will be BBC2 documentaries made about it...

If in five years I haven't heard about such a thing happening I will
be sorely disappointed, in fact I think I will emigrate. To the USA
with my annual all zones, all states Bus Pass.
Old February 15th 08, 08:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote

I'm
reminded of a story Peter Masson told of a challenge he set himself in
his youth, which was to circumnavigate London in a day - but using a
"Green Rover" ticket which only allowed for travel on London Country
buses (the green ones), not LT's Central area buses (the red ones). I
believe he managed to get most of the way round on his Green Rover,
though did have to pay a fare on one or two bus routes.

Yes. There was a link around Romford where I had to pay a fare on a red bus.
Then, after paying to cross the Tilbury Ferry, it was getting late (and I
was getting exceedingly tired) so, IIRC, I cheated by paying for the Green
Line home, rather than getting another couple of slow Country buses.

Peter

Old February 15th 08, 11:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mike Cawood, HND BIT" wrote in
:

There will also be some people who for bizarre reasons not worth
going into think that the symbol pronounced "pound" is a
noughts-and-crosses grid.

That's because the hash symbol in US keyboards is in the same place as
our pound symbol (shift 3).
Mike.

I believe the reason # is called a pound sign by Americans is that it is
sometimes used in the USA to mean pounds weight. In American usage, #3
means 'number 3' and 3# means '3 lbs'. The latter is a bit old-fashioned,
but you see it sometimes in markets and the like.

Peter

--
Peter Campbell Smith ~ London ~ pjcs00 (a) gmail.com
Old February 15th 08, 11:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 15 Feb, 12:36, Peter Campbell Smith wrote:
"Mike Cawood, HND BIT" wrote :

There will also be some people who for bizarre reasons not worth
going into think that the symbol pronounced "pound" is a
noughts-and-crosses grid.

That's because the hash symbol in US keyboards is in the same place as
our pound symbol (shift 3).
Mike.

I believe the reason # is called a pound sign by Americans is that it is
sometimes used in the USA to mean pounds weight. In American usage, #3
means 'number 3' and 3# means '3 lbs'. The latter is a bit old-fashioned,
but you see it sometimes in markets and the like.

Peter

Which tallies with James Robinson's explanation upthread - in case
anyone missed it I shall quote it below:

-----
On 15 Feb, 02:03, James Robinson wrote:

(snip)

It is also because the # glyph, when used after a number in script in the
US means the same as lb. It appears to have evolved as a result of clerks
quickly scratching lb. with a line through it on packages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign

-----
Old February 15th 08, 03:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote this:-

There will also be some people who for bizarre reasons not worth going
into think that the symbol pronounced "pound" is a noughts-and-crosses
grid.

Astounding! As any fule know, this is called the octothorpe.

I call it a square.

As used previously on 1970s UK telephone keypads.
Old February 15th 08, 04:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote this:-

There will also be some people who for bizarre reasons not worth going
into think that the symbol pronounced "pound" is a noughts-and-crosses
grid.
Astounding! As any fule know, this is called the octothorpe.

I call it a square.

As used previously on 1970s UK telephone keypads.

I thought it was called the portcullis.

--
Bill.
Old February 15th 08, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:53:55 UTC, schrieb Mizter T
auf uk.railway :

So, do I get Greyhound coaches thrown in as well, or is it simply
local buses?

Ask First Group, they own both.

Cheers,
L.W.