Old February 22nd 08, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default oyster bus travel and price capping

On Feb 22, 10:19*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:49:33 -0000, "Paul Scott"

wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:03:32 -0800 (PST), Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

Sure, I've seen all that [I've snipped it] - the previous poster's view
was
that it will take decades, ie more than 20 years...

Well having read Roger Ford's March Informed Sources on ITSO
implementation (or lack thereof) for SWT I'll be astonished if we get
Oyster PAYG done for Jan 2009. *Seems like the DfT haven't got a clue
what they've required of the TOCs and everyone is suddenly finding the
"detail" a bit complicated.

Another interpretation is that Oyster will work ages before ITSO -
especially as the new Waterloo gates (170 including the subways according to
NR) will only have magnetic card and Oyster readers, not ITSO.

I'm sure this has been one of your previous predictions?

I can't recall if I've predicted that or not. I agree Oyster cards will
be accepted at Waterloo's new gateline based on what the article says.
What I am far less certain about is whether SWT will have installed any
further issuing capacity for Oyster cards at its stations or if TfL will
have managed to get existing gates converted at other SWT locations or
validators installed within the zones. *Having PAYG notionally accepted
on NR routes is a nonsense if passengers can't top their cards up at
ticket offices or ticket machines. What on earth happens if people run
out of value or have a card problem - "Sorry nowt to do with us, call
TfL or pop to the newsagents". *That's about as customer unfriendly as
you can get.

Read the London Travelwatch report referenced elsewhere in the thread
where SWT have refused to install *one* Oyster compatible ticket machine
with the result that the nearest Oyster Ticket Stop is the busiest
outlet in the entire agent network. *I dread to think how much SWT must
be losing and that's with only two rail services accepting PAYG from
that station.

If we have this nonsense with just SWT imagine how daft it becomes when
you add in FCC, Southern and South Eastern. * There appears to be a
little more enlightenment north of the river - I wonder why that might
be?

Yet South Eastern, which doesn't accept PAYG has at least one machine
and now at least one ticket office selling Oyster. A possible
explanation is the interchanges with DLR, but both are at the NR
ticket office (the machine operated by TfL) and the DLR doesn't
generally have Oyster top up machines.