Old August 29th 03, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What happened on the Tube tonight

In message , Neil Williams
writes

Just heard garbled messages on the radio!!!

Spookily New York-esque National Grid failure in the London area. This
has knocked out LUL and the rail network.

Can someone tell me when Lot's Road was closed and the tube put on the
National Grid?
--
Clive

Old August 29th 03, 02:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

See http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/press...es/0210/21.asp
--
Richard J.
Old August 31st 03, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matthew Malthouse" wrote in message
.. .
"The Tube will now get all its electricity from the National Grid. But
in the event of National Grid failure, Lots Roads smaller sister
station at Greenwich, equipped with quick start gas turbines, will be
used for emergency power and SPL has installed battery lighting at all
stations to provide emergency lighting."

Define 'emergency power'. For trains, for lighting? Looks like a suitably
vague statement to allow them to interpret it however they want.

Old August 31st 03, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Matthew
Malthouse writes

"The Tube will now get all its electricity from the National Grid. But
in the event of National Grid failure, Lots Roads smaller sister
station at Greenwich, equipped with quick start gas turbines, will be
used for emergency power and SPL has installed battery lighting at all
stations to provide emergency lighting."

So did this happen?

If you mean, has the facility been provided at Greenwich, then yes.

If you mean, was it used on Thursday, the answer is no according to the
BBC report the next day ...

A small back up generator at Greenwich which is designed to
power safety lights in trains and stations in the event of a
total power failure, was not needed on Thursday because power
was diverted from other parts of the system.

I don't know if last part is entirely true, as the London Fire Brigade
reported rescuing 100 people from lifts - although that strikes me as a
relatively small number for LU in the rush hour. Possibly just 5 or 6
lifts in all?

--
Paul Terry
Old August 31st 03, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jack Taylor
writes

"Matthew Malthouse" wrote in message
. ..

"The Tube will now get all its electricity from the National Grid. But
in the event of National Grid failure, Lots Roads smaller sister
station at Greenwich, equipped with quick start gas turbines, will be
used for emergency power and SPL has installed battery lighting at all
stations to provide emergency lighting."

Define 'emergency power'. For trains, for lighting? Looks like a suitably
vague statement to allow them to interpret it however they want.

Although the quoted press statement is vague, the contract would have
spelled out the detail and the contractors (SEEBoard PowerLink) are
clear enough on their website:

... generating units at Powerlink's Emergency Power Station
providing power for essential pumps, deep lifts and escalators.

No mention of providing traction current (which Greenwich could once do,
but only on a very limited scale - never enough to power the entire
system on its own).

--
Paul Terry

Old August 31st 03, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Paul Terry
writes

I don't know if last part is entirely true, as the London Fire Brigade
reported rescuing 100 people from lifts - although that strikes me as a
relatively small number for LU in the rush hour. Possibly just 5 or 6
lifts in all?

I believe that was the total number of people rescued across London, not
just at LU.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this