Old February 29th 08, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Which bus Embankment Gardens to the Royal Albert Hall?

Is there a route involving just one bus from Embankment Gardens, along
the Chelsea Embankment to the Royal Albert Hall? From what I can
gather from Internet maps etc., the nearest bus for that seems to be
the 360. Can you advise?
Reg M

Old February 29th 08, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 29, 2:25*pm, Reg M wrote:
Is there a route involving just one bus from Embankment Gardens, along
the Chelsea Embankment to the Royal Albert Hall? *From what I can
gather from Internet maps etc., the nearest bus for that seems to be
the 360. *Can you advise?

Assuming you are on the north side of the Thames then walk up Villiers
St to Charing Cross station and catch a number 9 bus direct. The 360
runs south of the Thames and is no good to you at all.

The Routemaster operated number 9 terminates at Royal Albert Hall
while the pay as you enter version runs to Hammersmith but will, of
course, stop at the Royal Albert Hall. Buses are about every 5 mins
during the day, Monday to Saturday. about every 10 evenings and
Sundays.

Paul Corfield
via Google
Old February 29th 08, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Feb, 14:25, Reg M wrote:
Is there a route involving just one bus from Embankment Gardens, along
the Chelsea Embankment to the Royal Albert Hall? From what I can
gather from Internet maps etc., the nearest bus for that seems to be
the 360. Can you advise?
Reg M

The number 9 bus from directly outside Charing Cross station (stop S)
goes direct to the Royal Albert Hall. If you are starting from
Victoria Embankment Gardens then you just need to walk the very short
distance up Villiers Street - see this street map:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=530322&y=180447

The green area to the north of Villiers St and west of Victoria
Embankment (the road) is Victoria Embankment gardens.

You need to have a ticket before you board if you are starting from
Charing Cross - if you do not have an Oyster card or a Day Travelcard
or other pass then you need to buy a ticket before you board. You can
buy a single ticket from the roadside ticket machines next to the bus
stop, they cost £2 - if you are making a return journey then you
should buy a Day Bus Pass at a cost of £3.50.

Note that the roadside ticket machines do not give change and only
take coins. However if you are buying a Day Bus Pass then you can buy
this from the ticket office in any Underground station (e.g. at
Embankment or Charing Cross stations).

The number 9 bus operates regularly - "every 4-8 minutes" according to
the timetable - and the off-peak journey time to the Royal Albert Hall
is 20 minutes.

Note that there are also "heritage" Routemaster buses that operate on
the number 9 route - these are the classic and much loved London buses
with a conductor and an open platform at the back. These run every 15
minutes between about 9.30am and 6.30pm (first bus from Charing Cross
to Royal Albert Hall at 09.51). You can pay cash for your fare on
board these buses.
Old February 29th 08, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 29, 3:56*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 29 Feb, 14:25, Reg M wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the response but unless I have misread the map the
Embankment Gardens I referred to is just west of Chelsea Bridge, the
north side of the river on Chelsea Embankment. It appears on the map
just below the Royal Hospital Chelsea.

Reg M
Old February 29th 08, 04:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:45:18 -0800 (PST), Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Feb 29, 2:25*pm, Reg M wrote:
Is there a route involving just one bus from Embankment Gardens, along
the Chelsea Embankment to the Royal Albert Hall? *From what I can
gather from Internet maps etc., the nearest bus for that seems to be
the 360. *Can you advise?

Assuming you are on the north side of the Thames then walk up Villiers
St to Charing Cross station and catch a number 9 bus direct. The 360
runs south of the Thames and is no good to you at all.

I think you're looking at the wrong Embankment Gardens. "Chelsea
Embankment" is a clue! He wants a 452.

And could have found this out himself by searching for a route from
Chelsea Bridge to the RAH in the journey planner at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Isn't it odd how the defaults on that page are ALL wrong? You always
have to use Advanced Options. Even there, it assumes your departure
time is the criterion. You normally don't care what time you leave
nearly so much as what time you need to arrive.

Old February 29th 08, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Feb, 14:25, Reg M wrote:

Is there a route involving just one bus from Embankment Gardens, along
the Chelsea Embankment to the Royal Albert Hall? *From what I can
gather from Internet maps etc., the nearest bus for that seems to be
the 360. *Can you advise?
Reg M

snip

Thanks for the response but unless I have misread the map the
Embankment Gardens I referred to is just west of Chelsea Bridge, the
north side of the river on Chelsea Embankment. It appears on the map
just below the Royal Hospital Chelsea.

Reg M

If you walk along Chelsea Embankment towards Chelsea Bridge, there is a
sort of roundabout at an entrance to the grounds of the Royal Hospital.
There is a bus stop there for the 360 towards the Albert Hall. It
terminates in Prince Consort Road behind the Albert Hall - get off the
bus and walk further along the road, you will see the hall on your left.

When returning it is probably best to use the stop in Queensgate just
south of Kensington Road. You will need to get off in Chelsea Bridge
Road at the Lister Hospital, as the bus in that direction does not enter
Chelsea Embankment at all, but turns left just before the bridge into
Grosvenor Road.

hth

Eric
Old February 29th 08, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Feb, 14:25, Reg M wrote:

Is there a route involving just one bus from Embankment Gardens, along
the Chelsea Embankment to the Royal Albert Hall? From what I can
gather from Internet maps etc., the nearest bus for that seems to be
the 360. Can you advise?
Reg M

The number 9 bus from directly outside Charing Cross station (stop S)
goes direct to the Royal Albert Hall. If you are starting from
Victoria Embankment Gardens [...]

(snip mistaken advice for a journey from the Embankment!)

Thanks for the response but unless I have misread the map the
Embankment Gardens I referred to is just west of Chelsea Bridge, the
north side of the river on Chelsea Embankment. It appears on the map
just below the Royal Hospital Chelsea.

Reg M

Right, yes, as Laurence Payne points out upthread the critical clue
that both I and Paul Corfield missed was that you want to get there
from Chelsea Embankment!

Take a look at this bus spider map for Chelsea Bridge (PDF):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...ital-13620.pdf

You're quite right to say that the 360 would do the job, and as as
Laurence says, the 452 is another.

Both will stop on all ths bus stops along Chelsea Bridge Street or
Lower Sloane Street, both a short walk from Embankment Gardens.

The map also shows the 360 stopping at stop CH on a little loop of
road just off Chelsea Embankment - this is the location of some gates
that lead into the Royal Hospital. Very confusingly, the map indicates
that the 360 only stops here when going northbound - I have to say
that I do strongly suspect this is a mistake and that the bus calls
here in both directions, but I cannot find anything to confirm my
suspicion.

The 360 will take you to the southern side of the Royal Albert Hall on
Prince Consort Road, whilst the 452 goes along the north side of the
Royal Albert Hall (on Kensington Gore). Whilst the Royal Albert Hall
is the last stop on the 360, so it would be literally impossible to
miss it, it would be pretty difficult to miss it on the 452 as well -
look out to your left for the Hall itself, and to the right for the
large and very grand Albert memorial, or ask the driver to give you a
shout.

The 452 is slightly more frequent during the day, though in the
evening the frequency of the 360 drops substantially (every 20 minutes
after 8pm). The 360 might look more attractive if any of the
travellers are less mobile, though I cannot guarantee it calls at stop
CH on the southbound run.

Otherwise I'd suggest that you make the short walk up to Chelsea
Bridge Road, possibly via Royal Hospital Road if you don't mind going
a tiny bit further to avoid the busy road that is Chelsea Embankment
(though you do miss the river views this way), and take the first bus
that comes - either the 360 or 452. On the way back I would head to
Kensington Gore to catch the 452 back to Chelsea Bridge Road - but
again I don't know what considerations you need to make, so the 360
might be preferable *if* it stops at stop CH going southbound.
Old February 29th 08, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2008-02-29, Reg M wrote:

[...]

Does the 360 really only serve stop CH - that's the bus stop outside
the entrance to the Royal Hospital that you describe - only in *one*
direction? I have to say I think it's very silly if it does! One gets
the impression that this stop is provided for the benefit of the
Chelsea Pensioners at the Hospital, but this would mean that they can
only benefit from northbound buses serving it.
Old February 29th 08, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

On Feb 29, 2:25*pm, Reg M wrote:
Is there a route involving just one bus from Embankment Gardens, along
the Chelsea Embankment to the Royal Albert Hall? *From what I can
gather from Internet maps etc., the nearest bus for that seems to be
the 360. *Can you advise?

Assuming you are on the north side of the Thames then walk up Villiers
St to Charing Cross station and catch a number 9 bus direct. The 360
runs south of the Thames and is no good to you at all.

I think you're looking at the wrong Embankment Gardens. "Chelsea
Embankment" is a clue! He wants a 452.

Or a 360, as I said in another post.

The 452 is from the Lister Hospital stop in Chelsea Bridge Road to the
front of the RAH, and the same in reverse.

Old February 29th 08, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Feb, 18:47, Mizter T wrote:
Does the 360 really only serve stop CH - that's the bus stop outside
the entrance to the Royal Hospital that you describe - only in *one*
direction? I have to say I think it's very silly if it does! One gets
the impression that this stop is provided for the benefit of the
Chelsea Pensioners at the Hospital, but this would mean that they can
only benefit from northbound buses serving it.

It's nowhere near the hospital buildings though - you want bus 170 at
the north end of the grounds. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some
sort of service they're legally obliged to provide.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London