Old March 9th 08, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Cross River Tram

Received in my letter box this morning some pamphlet from Boris Johnson
called "The Greater Londoner" which almost immediately went into the
recycling bin, but one thing crossed my mind, a piece that said that en has
squandered our money on ill-thought-out schemes, such as £11.6m alreadt
spent on the Cross River Tram project, which has "now been shelved".

Well that's news to me. Yes, I'll agree with the West London Tram having
been shelved (I don't know whether Boris' figure of £34.8m already spent
for the WLT is accurate or not).

But as far as I know, the CRT project is still very much alive. Last I
heard was that Ken was considering doing the south bit first, then the
north bit, and that it was still awaiting approval and funding, but that if
it got it it would (could) be ready for 2016.

That does not mean the same as "shelved" to me.

And is Boris correct in saying that £46.4m has ALREADY been spent on these
two projects? Surely not!

Anyway, that's by-the-by. As far as I can see, the CRT is certainly NOT
shelved, it's just taking a while working out the route. Or am I wrong?

Old March 9th 08, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Mar, 13:41, "Tristán White" wrote:
But as far as I know, the CRT project is still very much alive. Last I
heard was that Ken was considering doing the south bit first, then the
north bit, and that it was still awaiting approval and funding, but that if
it got it it would (could) be ready for 2016.

According to the last board meeting notes, a preferred route report
was planned to be issued last September, and the forecast date is
"TBC". The prose states:

"Over the next six months the project team will be investigating the
implications and options for phased implementation of the scheme, and
firming up the costs, benefits and overall business case. "

"Shelved" is obviously premature, but they're definitely having a
serious rethink.

And is Boris correct in saying that £46.4m has ALREADY been spent on these
two projects? Surely not!

I wouldn't be surprised. They put a lot of work into WLT - all those
years of planning and consultations would have cost a few quid.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old March 10th 08, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 9, 6:22 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

And is Boris correct in saying that £46.4m has ALREADY been spent on these
two projects? Surely not!

I wouldn't be surprised. They put a lot of work into WLT - all those
years of planning and consultations would have cost a few quid.

Its amazing how much money gets spent just so apparachiks can avoid
having to actually do what their paid for and make a decision.

Old March 10th 08, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 10 Mar, 11:47, Boltar wrote:
On Mar 9, 6:22 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

And is Boris correct in saying that £46.4m has ALREADY been spent on these
two projects? Surely not!

I wouldn't be surprised. They put a lot of work into WLT - all those
years of planning and consultations would have cost a few quid.

Its amazing how much money gets spent just so apparachiks can avoid
having to actually do what their paid for and make a decision.

I thought consultants were paid to take the blame for decisions that
have already been made, and consultations were designed to give
punters no option but to support the decisions already made (apart
from "other comments" etc).

If they've changed their minds, it won't be as a result of
consultations, but it's a decision followed by a different decision.
So they'll have to pay for yet more consultations to justify that as
well.