Old November 4th 06, 07:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

Default Cross River Tram Consultation

http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/content/cam...A43%3A31%3A890
Tram lined up to link Camden with Brixton

CONTROVERSIAL plans to put a £300million tramline through the heart of
Somers Town have been set in motion by Ken Livingstone.

Despite a 900-name petition against the tram in 2003, the Mayor is
pushing ahead with the Cross River Transit which will run from Camden
to Peckham and Brixton with a line between Aldwych and Camden
Town.Consultation with Camden residents about possible street stops is
due to begin on November 14. A Camden Council spokeswoman said: "We
have been working on the tram with Transport for London (TfL). The
consultation is to be conducted by TfL on route options; between
Aldwych and Euston, Euston and King's Cross and Euston and Camden
Town."It is believed that the plans will suggest a route down Phoenix
Road and Brill Place, running outside Maria Fidelis school and St
Aloysius' infant school. Father Rob Wickham is the vicar at St Mary The
Virgin Church on Eversholt Street, which is also likely to be affected.
He said: "I am particularly concerned about funerals when we are
carrying the coffin in or out - that is the most solemn moment and the
thought of trams running past sounds ridiculous to me."They will pass
primary schools, secondary schools and umpteen nurseries. We have had a
real focus on making the ward safe for children, and our work will be
ruined. The community is formed by people meeting on the pavements
outside the schools and they wouldn't be able to do that."We need to
fight jolly hard to keep the community and make sure it doesn't just
become a cut-through area."Residents have had years upon years of
redevelopments - it is a deprived area so people think they can just do
what they want with it."Ward councillor Roger Robinson has vowed to
take on the fight and has even promised to lie across the tracks.He
said: "It is being done to transport people from the Channel Tunnel
Rail Link - it doesn't matter what effect it has on residents."They
will get tremendous opposition. I know people who will lay down in
front of those trams - I am one of them."I am not having that mess in
my ward. There are play areas that will have trams roaring past - it's
dangerous, we are not having it." TfL has defended the scheme, which
will see trams arriving every two to four minutes taking commuters from
Camden Town to Aldwych in 13 minutes.A spokesman said: "It helps reduce
traffic pollution and congestion and will provide an opportunity to
enhance areas along the route. Transport for London will work with
boroughs along the route to provide new pavements, streetlights,
pedestrian crossings and other improvements. It will provide faster
connections to those areas currently less well served by rail or
underground."

unquote

Last edited by kevin : November 4th 06 at 12:05 PM

Old November 4th 06, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Bob wrote:

A Camden Council spokeswoman said: "We have been working on the tram
with Transport for London (TfL). The consultation is to be conducted by
TfL on route options; between Aldwych and Euston, Euston and King's
Cross and Euston and Camden Town."It is believed that the plans will
suggest a route down Phoenix Road and Brill Place

Aha - so this alignment is not yet entirely dead. Cheers for the tip!

I suppose that means going back to the 2002 plan, at least at the King's
Cross end:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/trams/pdf/crossriver_map.pdf

tom

--
I know you wanna try and get away, but it's the hardest thing you'll
ever know
Old November 4th 06, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob wrote:
http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/content/cam...A43%3A31%3A890

Ward councillor Roger Robinson has promised to lie across the tracks.

If only all politicians would be so obliging.

Old November 6th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Nov 2006 04:47:09 -0800, wrote:

Tram lined up to link Camden with Brixton

Father Rob Wickham is the vicar at St Mary The
Virgin Church on Eversholt Street, which is also likely to be
affected. He said: "I am particularly concerned about funerals when
we are carrying the coffin in or out - that is the most solemn
moment and the thought of trams running past sounds ridiculous to
me."They will pass primary schools, secondary schools and umpteen
nurseries. We have had a real focus on making the ward safe for
children, and our work will be ruined. The community is formed by
people meeting on the pavements outside the schools and they
wouldn't be able to do that."

rest of ludicrous nonsensical ranting snipped

Are these people quite mad? Why is it worse for a tram to be going
past a funeral parlour than a bus? How on earth does a road with cars
on encourage people to chat on the pavements whilst a road with a tram
on prevents this?

Brill Place and Phoenix Road currently have no buses, and pretty much no
cars either.

Last time I looked, Eversholt Street had lots of both.

And there are plenty of bus routes in London that pass churches and
schools, but no sign of a campaign to have all the routes diverted to
avoid them.

No doubt there are even (shock, horror) tram routes across the country
that do the same.
Old November 7th 06, 12:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I didn't spot the address... That priest is a moron. Eversholt Street is a
nightmare of traffic jams for much of the week. It will be so much more
peaceful as a tram-only route.