London Banter

-   -   StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6348-stp-retail-fit-out-still.html)

Sky Rider March 18th 08 11:42 AM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

Since the big day, retail fit-out works at London St Pancras have
proceeded at varying speeds. In order of progress the situation is as
follows:
* More than four-fifths of the Arcade units are now operational
* The Circle area is now partially exposed - the ceiling and floor are
by and large complete, and some units (notably the Boots concept store
that car park and toilet users pass on the way) are being stocked
* The Market is now expected to open in the summer as LCR/NR have
provisionally selected an operator and are negotiating the contract
(info given over the phone)
* The Rendezvous units are still being worked on (except the four
nearest the MML concourse (and the Champagne Bar of course), which are
already operational) - the Brasserie is now expected to open in thr
autumn (latter part of paragraph given over the phone)

All in all, it's progress, but it's very slow.

[email protected] March 18th 08 01:00 PM

On 18 Mar, 12:42, Sky Rider wrote:
[...]

I'd imagine they've slowed down. When they were rushing to get the
thing open it would have been all hands on deck. But once it became
clear that many of the retail facilities were going to miss the
deadline regardless, they probably didn't care whether they missed it
by three months or a year - and a year will almost ceertainly be
cheaper to achieve.

Jonn

Roland Perry March 18th 08 01:07 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

In message
, at
07:00:06 on Tue, 18 Mar 2008, remarked:
When they were rushing to get the thing open it would have been all
hands on deck. But once it became clear that many of the retail
facilities were going to miss the deadline regardless, they probably
didn't care whether they missed it by three months or a year - and a
year will almost ceertainly be cheaper to achieve.

The TV programme about the station kept harping on about penalty
payments for late opening. Presumably these don't apply to the fitout-
or are the builders past caring now?

Mr Thant March 18th 08 01:12 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

On 18 Mar, 12:42, Sky Rider wrote:
* More than four-fifths of the Arcade units are now operational

Although some of the more boutiquey shops look yet to get their first
customer. There's a posh shirt shop on the west side where the staff
looked suicidal last time I passed. The food shops are doing well.

(and how long was the big Marks and Spencer open for? It opened after
the station and closed again at least a month ago, so it can't have
more than a few weeks. Deserted too)

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Sky Rider March 18th 08 01:45 PM

Mr Thant wrote:

Although some of the more boutiquey shops look yet to get their first
customer. There's a posh shirt shop on the west side where the staff
looked suicidal last time I passed. The food shops are doing well.

I haven't paid particular attention to the boutique staff but I know
what you mean. The book shop looked moderately busy when I last saw it.

I have to say that I am rather partial to the Peyton and Byrne chocolate
cake, although their rather basic seating leaves a lot to be desired.
Camden Food are OK but a raspberry muffin I bought from them at Euston
was like a rubbish fairy cake with two small raspberries on the top...

(and how long was the big Marks and Spencer open for? It opened after
the station and closed again at least a month ago, so it can't have
more than a few weeks. Deserted too)

The big M&S store was probably open for about a month before they
mothballed it. I do hope they reopen it soon because as much as I like
the food that Le Pain Quotidien and their ilk offer, M&S generally sell
similar quality goodies for less since they are not just a bakery/cafe/etc.

Tom Anderson March 18th 08 07:52 PM

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Sky Rider wrote:

Mr Thant wrote:

Although some of the more boutiquey shops look yet to get their first
customer. There's a posh shirt shop on the west side where the staff
looked suicidal last time I passed. The food shops are doing well.

I haven't paid particular attention to the boutique staff but I know what you
mean. The book shop looked moderately busy when I last saw it.

I have to say that I am rather partial to the Peyton and Byrne chocolate
cake,

Their scotch egg is also very good indeed.

tom

--
Any problem in computer science can be solved with another layer of
indirection. But that usually will create another problem. -- David

David at brsince78 dot co do uk March 18th 08 10:28 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

.li...

Mr Thant wrote:

Although some of the more boutiquey shops look yet to get their first
customer. There's a posh shirt shop on the west side where the staff
looked suicidal last time I passed. The food shops are doing well.

I haven't paid particular attention to the boutique staff but I know what
you mean. The book shop looked moderately busy when I last saw it.

I have to say that I am rather partial to the Peyton and Byrne chocolate
cake,

Their scotch egg is also very good indeed.

tom

--
Any problem in computer science can be solved with another layer of
indirection. But that usually will create another problem. -- David
Wheeler

No likelihood then of a resurrection of the Two Ronnies joke about the rare
sighting of the Great South American Dung Beetle

......... just been spotted trying to roll a Scotch Egg out of Waterloo
station buffet

David Cantrell March 19th 08 05:30 PM

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 07:12:36AM -0700, Mr Thant wrote:
On 18 Mar, 12:42, Sky Rider wrote:
* More than four-fifths of the Arcade units are now operational

Although some of the more boutiquey shops look yet to get their first
customer.

Gosh, I wonder why. Perhaps it's because people go to railway stations
to catch trains, not to go shopping.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

Deck of Cards: $1.29.
"101 Solitaire Variations" book: $6.59.
Cheap replacement for the one thing Windows is good at: priceless
-- Shane Lazarus

[email protected] March 19th 08 08:49 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

Have they fixed the heating problem yet? Last time I had a look around
the shops there they had no heating at all - the only place where it
seemed to work was in the Eurostar ticket office. Some shops had
signs blaming a general problem across the station.

I have to say I'm very disappointed that the shops, restaurants and
market are taking so long to complete. I was also very disappointed
with the lack of facilities once you've gone through security in the
Eurostar terminal itself. I seem to remember there was one tiny cafe
and one tiny WH Smith (with an enormous queue).

Still a gorgeous station though and fantastic to have such quick
trains to Europe.

D7666 March 20th 08 05:20 AM

On Mar 19, 9:49*pm, wrote:

fantastic to have such quick
trains to Europe.

Is it not already in Europe then ?

--
Nick

MIG March 20th 08 10:32 AM

On Mar 19, 9:49*pm, wrote:
Have they fixed the heating problem yet? Last time I had a look around
the shops there they had no heating at all - the only place where it
seemed *to work was in the Eurostar ticket office. Some shops had
signs blaming a general problem across the station.

I have to say I'm very disappointed that the shops, restaurants and
market are taking so long to complete. I was also very disappointed
with the lack of facilities once you've gone through security in the
Eurostar terminal itself. I seem to remember there was one tiny cafe
and one tiny WH Smith (with an enormous queue).

Still a gorgeous station though and fantastic to have such quick
trains to Europe.

When I was being shown around the site a few years ago, with a party
of interested locals, the guides were clearly disappointed that the
only reaction they were getting to their descriptions of grand retail
facilities was a muted "so I won't be able to afford to live around
here any more".

It's typical of a development which is designed to exclude, rather
than provide for the needs of, the local community.

They need grocery shops, post offices, libraries etc etc etc, not
overpriced sandwich bars and tie shops.

Travellers, in the meantime, need quick and easy interchanges to help
them get to where they are really going, and places to sit while they
are waiting. Reports suggest that they haven't exactly got these
things.

Rob March 20th 08 09:23 PM

On 19 Mar, 18:30, David Cantrell wrote:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 07:12:36AM -0700, Mr Thant wrote:
On 18 Mar, 12:42, Sky Rider wrote:
* More than four-fifths of the Arcade units are now operational

Although some of the more boutiquey shops look yet to get their first
customer.

Gosh, I wonder why. *Perhaps it's because people go to railway stations
to catch trains, not to go shopping.

For anyone whos interested, I did this survey of the number of
customers in each shop at St Pancras at 6pm today

Upstairs

The Baby Betjamin 28
Champagne Bar 177
WH Smiths 11
Camden Food Company 24
West Cornwall Pasty Co 2
AMT 14

Downstairs

Benugo 52
Chopd 29
Fossil 0
Neuhaus 8
Neis Yard Remedies 2
Rituals 2
Marks and Spencer 59
Hotels 0
Currency Exchange 4
WH Smith 14
Paperchase 12
Body Shop 5
Accesorise 8
Costa 51
Crepe Affaire 12
Le Pain Quotidien 111
Paul 11
Pink 0
LK Bennet 6
Foyles 26
Hamleys 7
Isle Flowers 1
Wilton and Noble 3
Peyton and Byrne 19

I make that 254 customers upstairs and 434 downstairs. I have no idea
how that compares for a building that size. Seemed like a lot in the
food and drink places, not many in the clothes shops. Wilton and Noble
had 6 staff to serve its 3 customers. M+S was mobbed - queue snaking
around the store.

Rob

Roland Perry March 21st 08 08:03 AM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

In message
, at
15:23:36 on Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Rob remarked:
M+S was mobbed - queue snaking around the store.

It's the only shop where you can buy a range of things for a "packed
lunch" on the train (and is a replacement for the ever popular
"Whistlestop" - it's a shame there isn't a real "Whistlestop" any more,
one upstairs by the EMT platforms would be a good idea).

And of course it's also the only place to buy something to take home to
cook. Some of the other shops have limited selections of items.

tim \(not at home\) March 21st 08 08:37 AM

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
15:23:36 on Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Rob remarked:
M+S was mobbed - queue snaking around the store.

It's the only shop where you can buy a range of things for a "packed
lunch" on the train (and is a replacement for the ever popular
"Whistlestop" - it's a shame there isn't a real "Whistlestop" any more,
one upstairs by the EMT platforms would be a good idea).

It's also one of the few that doesn't "charge three time as much for ready
food" because it's on a railway station.

tim

news outlook March 21st 08 10:45 AM

"Mr Thant" wrote in message

(and how long was the big Marks and Spencer open for? It opened after
the station and closed again at least a month ago, so it can't have
more than a few weeks. Deserted too)

Anyone know why they closed it? An insufficiency of customers?

Will it be coming back?

Mr Thant March 21st 08 11:09 AM

On 21 Mar, 11:45, "news outlook" wrote:
Anyone know why they closed it? * An insufficiency of customers?

There were more staff than customers the few times I went in, and it
was a big shop filled with mostly very perishable stock, so must have
cost a fortune to keep open.

Will it be coming back?

It was the only shop in that part of the station open to customers,
and a long way from anywhere passengers would be wandering past. This
will change with the opening of the Kent platforms and the tunnel to
the Northern Ticket Hall. I'd expect it to reopen when the other shops
at that end of the station do, though they don't seem in any hurry.

[email protected] March 21st 08 11:10 AM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

On 18 Mar, 14:12, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 18 Mar, 12:42, Sky Rider wrote:

* More than four-fifths of the Arcade units are now operational

Although some of the more boutiquey shops look yet to get their first
customer. There's a posh shirt shop on the west side where the staff
looked suicidal last time I passed. The food shops are doing well.

(and how long was the big Marks and Spencer open for? It opened after
the station and closed again at least a month ago, so it can't have
more than a few weeks. Deserted too)

--http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

I looked in at a posh chocolate shop in the arcade this week. Knocking
out half Easter eggs filled with little, silver-paper-wrapped "filled"
eggs, in a posh plastic bag. Advertised weight was 500g, yours for
only £35.

Yep, £70/kilo.

I looked, but I don't remember seeing anything for less than about £15
- and that was a small box of chocs.

Think I'll stick to Cadburys with the odd visit to Thorntons.

Rob.

Lew 1[_2_] March 21st 08 12:15 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

It's also one of the few that doesn't "charge three time as much for ready
food" because it's on a railway station.

Though, presumably, that's only because they charge three times as much
everywhere else anyway!

LEWIS

Paul Oter March 21st 08 12:49 PM

On Mar 21, 1:15 pm, "Lew 1" wrote:
It's also one of the few that doesn't "charge three time as much for ready
food" because it's on a railway station.

Though, presumably, that's only because they charge three times as much
everywhere else anyway!

Agreed. I occasionally wander into the WhistleStop at King's Cross
(platform 8), grimace at the prices (especially for beer and wine),
and wander down the platform to visit M&S Simply Food instead.

PaulO

Paul Oter March 21st 08 12:55 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

On Mar 21, 12:09 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 21 Mar, 11:45, "news outlook" wrote:

Anyone know why they closed it? An insufficiency of customers?

There were more staff than customers the few times I went in, and it
was a big shop filled with mostly very perishable stock, so must have
cost a fortune to keep open.

Will it be coming back?

It was the only shop in that part of the station open to customers,
and a long way from anywhere passengers would be wandering past. This
will change with the opening of the Kent platforms and the tunnel to
the Northern Ticket Hall. I'd expect it to reopen when the other shops
at that end of the station do, though they don't seem in any hurry.

M&S made a valiant effort to attract people to visit it, with staff
hanging around the station handing out vouchers for free pastries.
Presumably it wasn't enough. (The only reason I went there was to
avoid the queues in the much-busier M&S Simply Food in the "arcade").

PaulO

Stimpy March 21st 08 01:16 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:10:31 +0000, wrote

I looked in at a posh chocolate shop in the arcade this week. Knocking
out half Easter eggs filled with little, silver-paper-wrapped "filled"
eggs, in a posh plastic bag. Advertised weight was 500g, yours for
only £35.

Yep, £70/kilo.

I looked, but I don't remember seeing anything for less than about £15
- and that was a small box of chocs.

Think I'll stick to Cadburys

I thought you were discussing chocolate.

lonelytraveller March 21st 08 06:12 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

Although some of the more boutiquey shops look yet to get their first
customer. There's a posh shirt shop on the west side where the staff
looked suicidal last time I passed. The food shops are doing well.

Look at the prices of those shirts, they only need to sell 3 a day,
and they've paid their staff wages already. Tax and unit rental won't
be more than another couple of shirts, etc.

tim \(not at home\) March 21st 08 06:28 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

"lonelytraveller" wrote in
message
Although some of the more boutiquey shops look yet to get their first
customer. There's a posh shirt shop on the west side where the staff
looked suicidal last time I passed. The food shops are doing well.

Look at the prices of those shirts, they only need to sell 3 a day,
and they've paid their staff wages already. Tax and unit rental won't
be more than another couple of shirts, etc.

but why would someone buy a posh shirt whilst waiting for a train?

tim

lonelytraveller March 21st 08 06:29 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

They need grocery shops, post offices, libraries etc etc etc,
They are due to turn up in 2014.

Paul Scott March 21st 08 06:35 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

"tim (not at home)" wrote in message

"lonelytraveller" wrote in
message
Although some of the more boutiquey shops look yet to get their first
customer. There's a posh shirt shop on the west side where the staff
looked suicidal last time I passed. The food shops are doing well.

Look at the prices of those shirts, they only need to sell 3 a day,
and they've paid their staff wages already. Tax and unit rental won't
be more than another couple of shirts, etc.

but why would someone buy a posh shirt whilst waiting for a train?

It's because Eurostar are still pretending they are a ground level airline,
so they need to have the same range of rip-off merchants you find at an
airport?

Paul

Stimpy March 21st 08 06:43 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:28:30 +0000, tim \(not at home\) wrote

Look at the prices of those shirts, they only need to sell 3 a day,
and they've paid their staff wages already. Tax and unit rental won't
be more than another couple of shirts, etc.

but why would someone buy a posh shirt whilst waiting for a train?

To some, they're not 'posh shirts', they're just 'shirts'

tim \(not at home\) March 21st 08 08:36 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

"Stimpy" wrote in message
. co.uk...
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:28:30 +0000, tim \(not at home\) wrote

Look at the prices of those shirts, they only need to sell 3 a day,
and they've paid their staff wages already. Tax and unit rental won't
be more than another couple of shirts, etc.

but why would someone buy a posh shirt whilst waiting for a train?

To some, they're not 'posh shirts', they're just 'shirts'

Then surely their butler would be procuring said shirts from somewhere more
upmarket than a railway station concourse.

tim

Peter Masson March 21st 08 08:44 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

"tim (not at home)" wrote

Then surely their butler would be procuring said shirts from somewhere

more
upmarket than a railway station concourse.

That's not the butler's job. The valet or gentleman's gentleman, perhaps.

Peter

tim \(not at home\) March 21st 08 08:59 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"tim (not at home)" wrote

Then surely their butler would be procuring said shirts from somewhere

more
upmarket than a railway station concourse.

That's not the butler's job. The valet or gentleman's gentleman, perhaps.

Yes, my mistake

tim

Stimpy March 21st 08 09:04 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:36:50 +0000, tim \(not at home\) wrote

Look at the prices of those shirts, they only need to sell 3 a day,
and they've paid their staff wages already. Tax and unit rental won't
be more than another couple of shirts, etc.

but why would someone buy a posh shirt whilst waiting for a train?

To some, they're not 'posh shirts', they're just 'shirts'

Then surely their butler would be procuring said shirts from somewhere more
upmarket than a railway station concourse.

Depends on the cost I suppose. Everyone has a different price point for
these things

Tom Anderson March 21st 08 09:17 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008, tim (not at home) wrote:

"lonelytraveller" wrote in
message
Although some of the more boutiquey shops look yet to get their first
customer. There's a posh shirt shop on the west side where the staff
looked suicidal last time I passed. The food shops are doing well.

Look at the prices of those shirts, they only need to sell 3 a day,
and they've paid their staff wages already. Tax and unit rental won't
be more than another couple of shirts, etc.

but why would someone buy a posh shirt whilst waiting for a train?

Because they've just bought tickets to the continent, and now haven't got
a shirt on their back?

Hmm. Does this shop specialise in one-armed shirts? And, if they do
trousers, one-legged ones?

Is a one-legged pair of trousers just a trouser?

tom

--
got EXPERTISE in BADASS BRAIN FREEZE

lonelytraveller March 22nd 08 08:05 PM

On Mar 21, 7:43 pm, Stimpy wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:28:30 +0000, tim \(not at home\) wrote

Look at the prices of those shirts, they only need to sell 3 a day,
and they've paid their staff wages already. Tax and unit rental won't
be more than another couple of shirts, etc.

but why would someone buy a posh shirt whilst waiting for a train?

To some, they're not 'posh shirts', they're just 'shirts'

Thomas Pink isn't that "posh" anyway. Its like Austin Reed. They
market themselves to those individuals who think they've got more
class than they have. All they have going for them is the fact that
they named themselves after a tailor who had a colour named after him.

Stimpy March 22nd 08 08:27 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 21:05:44 +0000, lonelytraveller wrote

To some, they're not 'posh shirts', they're just 'shirts'

Thomas Pink isn't that "posh" anyway. Its like Austin Reed. They
market themselves to those individuals who think they've got more
class than they have. All they have going for them is the fact that
they named themselves after a tailor who had a colour named after him.

The shop is only a Thomas Pink?? That's on the same level as M&S in the
'posh-shirt' stakes. The way people were talking about it, I assumed it was
some dreadfully upmarket London-based store of which we country bumpkins
would be ignorant :-)

Colin Rosenstiel March 23rd 08 12:28 AM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

In article
,
(lonelytraveller) wrote:

Is it not already in Europe then ?

--
Nick

No.

Sorry to disabuse you, but it is.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Martin Rich March 23rd 08 09:41 AM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 06:55:13 -0700 (PDT), Paul Oter
wrote:

M&S made a valiant effort to attract people to visit it, with staff
hanging around the station handing out vouchers for free pastries.
Presumably it wasn't enough. (The only reason I went there was to
avoid the queues in the much-busier M&S Simply Food in the "arcade").

I remember some publicity before the opening which suggested that
there's be an M & S within St Pancras with a reasonable range of both
food and clothing. So I was surprised , on my one visit there, to
find most of the space given over to food and only a very limited
range of clothing. And in the absence of other shops open in the area
it wasn't going to attract much passing trade; I went in partly out of
curiosity, partly because I was changing between Thameslink amd the
suburban platforms at Kings Cross.

Martin

Roland Perry March 23rd 08 10:36 AM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

In message , at 10:41:08 on
Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Martin Rich remarked:
I remember some publicity before the opening which suggested that
there's be an M & S within St Pancras with a reasonable range of both
food and clothing.

There's an M&S near me, about the same size as the one in The Circle,
and it's approx 25% "housewares and clothes", and the rest is food. Such
stores aren't new, there was one just like it at least 12 years ago in
Surbiton (near the A3, not the station).

tim \(not at home\) March 23rd 08 01:02 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:41:08 on
Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Martin Rich remarked:
I remember some publicity before the opening which suggested that
there's be an M & S within St Pancras with a reasonable range of both
food and clothing.

There's an M&S near me, about the same size as the one in The Circle, and
it's approx 25% "housewares and clothes", and the rest is food. Such
stores aren't new, there was one just like it at least 12 years ago in
Surbiton (near the A3, not the station).

The place is called Tolworth

And it's been there quite a few more years than 12.

tim

Mr Thant March 23rd 08 01:09 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

On 22 Mar, 21:05, lonelytraveller
wrote:
On Mar 21, 7:43 pm, Stimpy wrote:

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:28:30 +0000, tim \(not at home\) wrote

Look at the prices of those shirts, they only need to sell 3 a day,
and they've paid their staff wages already. Tax and unit rental won't
be more than another couple of shirts, etc.

but why would someone buy a posh shirt whilst waiting for a train?

To some, they're not 'posh shirts', they're just 'shirts'

Thomas Pink isn't that "posh" anyway. Its like Austin Reed. They
market themselves to those individuals who think they've got more
class than they have. All they have going for them is the fact that
they named themselves after a tailor who had a colour named after him.

It is if you're a regular King's Cross user and thought having a
Swatch kiosk was posh.

Roland Perry March 23rd 08 01:16 PM

StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

In message , at 15:02:11 on Sun, 23
Mar 2008, "tim (not at home)" remarked:
There's an M&S near me, about the same size as the one in The Circle, and
it's approx 25% "housewares and clothes", and the rest is food. Such
stores aren't new, there was one just like it at least 12 years ago in
Surbiton (near the A3, not the station).

The place is called Tolworth

The postal address is Surbiton, but yes the local area is called
Tolworth.

And it's been there quite a few more years than 12.

I'm sure it has. I've only know it for 12 though (hence my use of the
words "at least").