London Banter

-   -   Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6392-crossrail-could-bankrupt-london-says.html)

Graeme Wall March 26th 08 02:19 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

In message
"R.C. Payne" wrote:

Graeme Wall wrote:
In message
"Lüko Willms" wrote:

Am Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:50:54 UTC, schrieb Graeme Wall
auf uk.railway :

And speaking some other language than German might be an advantage
when the sales personnel originates from a country whose language you
master.

As for your last paragraph, I speak rather less Turkish than German.
Well, the salesperson might have migrated from Pakistan, Sri Lanka,
or India...

If I put a smiley on the end, would it make it more obvious that I was
cracking a slight (very slight!) joke?

You know what they say about the German sense of humour...

Not true IME, not even the Prussians who are renowned for not having one. It
can tend towards the practical joke end of the spectrum.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

dave hill March 26th 08 03:09 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

Roland Perry wrote
I'm disappointed they aren't doing the rowing in Nottingham - I could
have walked to the venue!

I was under the impression that the Row course at Holme Point(?) was
not up to standard and a NEW facility needed to be brought into
use.
I think its to do with the average wind speed over the course being in
the main more than that allowed.
I could be talking a load of old ******
--
dave hill

Roland Perry March 26th 08 03:41 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

In message , at
23:23:42 on Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Tom Anderson
remarked:
I remain a supporter of the 2012 Games, I think it'll do a lot of good
in a great many different ways.

I'm disappointed they aren't doing the rowing in Nottingham - I could
have walked to the venue!

Yeah, well Nottingham didn't win the Olympic competition, did it,
London did!

Neither did Weymouth, but that's where the sailing is going to be.

Seems odd to decide to build a brand new rowing lake in the congested
London suburbs when we already have an Olympic sized one (and the
National Centre) at Nottingham.

Roland Perry March 26th 08 03:42 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

In message , at 16:09:41 on
Wed, 26 Mar 2008, dave hill remarked:
I'm disappointed they aren't doing the rowing in Nottingham - I could
have walked to the venue!

I was under the impression that the Row course at Holme Point(?) was
not up to standard and a NEW facility needed to be brought into
use.

MRD applies.

Paul Terry March 26th 08 04:16 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

In message , Roland Perry
writes

Seems odd to decide to build a brand new rowing lake in the congested
London suburbs when we already have an Olympic sized one (and the
National Centre) at Nottingham.

Its hardly brand new - Eton's rowing lake opened some years ago and
hosted the 2006 World Rowing Championships, as I recall.
--
Paul Terry

Roland Perry March 26th 08 04:44 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

In message , at 17:16:42 on Wed, 26 Mar
2008, Paul Terry remarked:
Seems odd to decide to build a brand new rowing lake in the congested
London suburbs when we already have an Olympic sized one (and the
National Centre) at Nottingham.

Its hardly brand new - Eton's rowing lake opened some years ago and
hosted the 2006 World Rowing Championships, as I recall.

Fair enough. I was sure they were building a new lake near Slough. I
must have misheard.

Tom Anderson March 26th 08 05:43 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, John B wrote:

On 26 Mar, 11:50, Graeme Wall wrote:

Generally, you don't have to know the local language to buy something,
gestures of yes and no, indicating numbers by figures or the amount of
money would be enough.

And speaking some other language than German might be an advantage
when the sales personnel originates from a country whose language you
master.

As for your last paragraph, I speak rather less Turkish than German.

Oddly enough, I've just successfully purchased six months' supply of
contact lenses [at 1/3 of UK opticians' prices for the same brand made
in the same US factory. Can we wind up that cartel next please?], some
groceries and toiletries, and a toasted sandwich - all from people who
speak Turkish and no English.

What was in the sandwich?

tom

--
GOLDIE LOOKIN' CHAIN [...] will ultimately make all other forms of music
both redundant and unnecessary -- NTK

Tom Anderson March 26th 08 05:44 PM

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 23:23:42 on
Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Tom Anderson remarked:

I remain a supporter of the 2012 Games, I think it'll do a lot of good
in a great many different ways.

I'm disappointed they aren't doing the rowing in Nottingham - I could have
walked to the venue!

Yeah, well Nottingham didn't win the Olympic competition, did it, London
did!

Neither did Weymouth, but that's where the sailing is going to be.

Yes, and i'm still annoyed about that. What exactly is wrong with the
Thames estuary, i ask?

Apart from the ships.

tom

Tom Anderson March 26th 08 05:53 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Mr Thant wrote:

On 25 Mar, 23:49, Tom Anderson wrote:

The Jubilee?

To Docklands. AIUI the Jubilee between London Bridge and North
Greenwich is already one of the most congested bits of the network.

Right. And how is Crossrail going to relieve that? By letting people on
the North Kent line from east of Abbey Wood change there? That's not
exactly a huge fraction of the Jubilee's passengers, is it? And don't they
already have the option to do Greenwich - Docklands by DLR? Not that
that's exactly a high-capacity route itself.

True. All of which could be done without the tunnel, for a fraction of the
price.

And without increasing any capacity from the termini to where people
work/shop/go out/etc, which is the whole point of the current iteration
of the project.

Entirely agreed. But the point i was making in the text that's been
snipped is that the Crossrail project doesn't deliver significant
increases in capacity outside central London, and none that couldn't be
provided much more cheaply.

Again, could be done without the tunnel.

And where do you plan to build the extra platforms at Paddington and
Liverpool Street?

Liverpool Street isn't limited by platform capacity, it's limited by
capacity through the station throat. Rebuilding that is entirely possible,
although of course not trivial. I don't know about Paddington, i have to
confess. But since all we're talking about is lengthening trains, why do
we need more platforms?

Do we know how much of the budget is for this? My understanding was that
Oxford Circus wasn't going to be rebuilt; the Crossrail station would be
essentialy separate. It thus has a slightly marginal effect on
overcrowding - the people relieved onto Crossrail will no longer be
clogging the place up, but plenty of other people will. No idea about TCR.

Slightly marginal? The two Crossrail stations adjacent to Oxford Circus
will have enormous entrances at the ends nearest to it, exactly to
attract the crowds away without overcrowding the actual Oxford Circus
area. In theory at least they're hoping to attract away a lot more
passengers.

If you're going into Oxford Circus to get on the Victoria line, this isn't
going to make any difference whatsoever. The new bit being added, however
enormous, will only decongest the existing station to the extent that they
can abstract passengers away from the Central line.

tom

Adrian March 26th 08 05:54 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

On Mar 26, 9:17*am, Mizter T wrote:
On 26 Mar, 05:59, The Real Doctor wrote:

On 25 Mar, 22:15, Tony Polson wrote:

Dan G wrote:

On Mar 25, 1:37 pm, Tony Polson wrote:

Dan G wrote:
I think the real rub of Crossrail is that for £16bn you could have
pretty much every other project one would want on the rest of the
English network -- Weald re-openings, East-West routes, lots of
electrification, old alignments and useful chords reopened, lots of
railfrieght interchanges etc. All that would benefit more people in
more places than Crossrail ever will.

Complete tosh.

Please explain.

No point lecturing to the deaf.

And that, Dan, is all you'll get, I'm afraid.

Irritating, isn't it.

I'm guessing that Mr Polson doesn't think £16bn would cover the cost
of all these other projects, but as he hasn't deemed it necessary to
clarify himself when asked politely

Behavior many of us are used to seeing. We have learned to ignore it.

tim \(not at home\) March 26th 08 06:26 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Neil Williams" wrote

It is vastly cheaper to rent than buy on a monthly basis in many
places these days. Certainly, in Milton Keynes one would pay about
£500 per month to rent a one-bed flat but £700-800 per month to
purchase it using a repayment mortgage. The main reason for this is
that there is a glut of rental property on the market. Given the
limited amount of property, this will necessarily cause purchase
prices to rise.

If the owners of buy to rent property start to think that property sale
prices have stopped rising they will sell and invest the money elsewhere -
this will increase the stock of sale property and bring prices down,

lets' hope so :-)

tim

while
reducing the stock of rental property pushing rental costs up.

Peter

John B March 26th 08 06:32 PM

On 26 Mar, 20:43, Tom Anderson wrote:
Oddly enough, I've just successfully purchased six months' supply of
contact lenses [at 1/3 of UK opticians' prices for the same brand made
in the same US factory. Can we wind up that cartel next please?], some
groceries and toiletries, and a toasted sandwich - all from people who
speak Turkish and no English.

What was in the sandwich?

Indeterminate meat.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Andy March 26th 08 06:38 PM

On Mar 26, 6:53*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Mr Thant wrote:
On 25 Mar, 23:49, Tom Anderson wrote:

The Jubilee?

To Docklands. AIUI the Jubilee between London Bridge and North
Greenwich is already one of the most congested bits of the network.

Right. And how is Crossrail going to relieve that? By letting people on
the North Kent line from east of Abbey Wood change there? That's not
exactly a huge fraction of the Jubilee's passengers, is it? And don't they
already have the option to do Greenwich - Docklands by DLR? Not that
that's exactly a high-capacity route itself.

There will also be the East London Line extension feeding passengers
in at Whitechapel. These passengers who would currently goto London
Bridge for the Jubilee line.

True. All of which could be done without the tunnel, for a fraction of the
price.

And without increasing any capacity from the termini to where people
work/shop/go out/etc, which is the whole point of the current iteration
of the project.

Entirely agreed. But the point i was making in the text that's been
snipped is that the Crossrail project doesn't deliver significant
increases in capacity outside central London, and none that couldn't be
provided much more cheaply.

But it is the central London section that needs the capacity, as the
Underground can not distribute passengers arriving from the mainline.
How much cheaper would it be to provide the extra capacity across
London without the joining the lines to the west and east? Passengers
taken off, for example, the Central line at Liverpool Street /
Stratford will give more capacity for passengers from the West Anglia
lines.

Again, could be done without the tunnel.

And where do you plan to build the extra platforms at Paddington and
Liverpool Street?

Liverpool Street isn't limited by platform capacity, it's limited by
capacity through the station throat. Rebuilding that is entirely possible,
although of course not trivial. I don't know about Paddington, i have to
confess. But since all we're talking about is lengthening trains, why do
we need more platforms?

Paddington has at least three platforms that are of limited length
(12-14, plus 11 which shares the country end track with the entrance
to platform 12). If you lengthen the trains to 8 or 10 coaches, I
don't think that any of these platforms can cope. Liverpool Street
also suffers from some of the same problems, with platforms 16-18
limited to 8 coaches. At both locations, the trains serving these
platforms will be the ones sent down the crossrail tunnels.

[...]

The difference in getting to the Victoria line is that it will be
easier to enter the station. It will also mean that Oxford Circus
doesn't need to be expensively rebuilt to add capacity for entrance /
exit.

Graeme Wall March 26th 08 06:51 PM

John B wrote:

On 26 Mar, 20:43, Tom Anderson wrote:
Oddly enough, I've just successfully purchased six months' supply of
contact lenses [at 1/3 of UK opticians' prices for the same brand made
in the same US factory. Can we wind up that cartel next please?], some
groceries and toiletries, and a toasted sandwich - all from people who
speak Turkish and no English.

What was in the sandwich?

Indeterminate meat.

Meat from a named animal costs extra I suppose.

Mizter T March 26th 08 06:56 PM

On 26 Mar, 18:53, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Mr Thant wrote:

On 25 Mar, 23:49, Tom Anderson wrote:

The Jubilee?

To Docklands. AIUI the Jubilee between London Bridge and North
Greenwich is already one of the most congested bits of the network.

Right. And how is Crossrail going to relieve that? By letting people on
the North Kent line from east of Abbey Wood change there? That's not
exactly a huge fraction of the Jubilee's passengers, is it? And don't they
already have the option to do Greenwich - Docklands by DLR? Not that
that's exactly a high-capacity route itself.

You've a point about North Kent / south east London commuters who are
likely to already be interchanging with the DLR at Greenwich or
Lewisham.

However Lewisham/Greenwich - Canary Wharf DLR trains are rammed during
the rush hour, not least with many passengers who are making such an
interchange.

Interchange to Crossrail at Abbey Wood would be an option for some of
these passengers.

Note that as well as London to Dartford stopping services, Abbey Wood
is also served by Charing X to Gillingham (via Rochester and Chatham)
trains. These do also stop at Lewisham, so interchange is indeed
available with the overcrowded DLR there (note that these trains also
stop at Woolwich Arsenal).

However the South London RUS makes clear that Lewisham station is
badly struggling to reliably handle the number of trains that
currently stop there - if this service could be diverted away from
Lewisham that would definitely be of very significant benefit.
(Passengers would also have the option of changing to the DLR at
Woolwich Arsenal for other Docklands destinations.)

I've absolutely no idea if what I'm about to suggest is remotely
feasible, but if more trains from Kent were to stop at Abbey Wood then
this would provide some relief for the Jubilee line by removing a
number of passengers who arrive at London Bridge then 'double-back' on
the Jubilee to the Docklands.

Mike Roebuck March 26th 08 07:16 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:58:46 GMT, Martin Edwards
wrote:

Mike Roebuck wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:24:50 +0000, Jane Sullivan
wrote:

In message , Neil Williams
writes
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 08:58:47 +0000, Jane Sullivan
wrote:

And if those employees lost their jobs, then that would take several
billion pounds out of the local economy of the south-east and, by
extension, Britain.
But why would they lose their jobs if Crossrail didn't happen?
They'd lose their jobs if the financial centre of Europe moved out of
London to Frankfurt.

So - learn German and move to Frankfurt.

Lower cost of + higher standard of living for the sake of making a
little linguistic effort.

You'd need to learn German and then learn Rhineland German.

No - my German is fluent, and I learned it mostly in Hamburg. I never
needed to learn Hessisch as well to communicate when I was in
Frankfurt-am-Main.

Mr Thant March 26th 08 07:29 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

On 26 Mar, 18:53, Tom Anderson wrote:
Right. And how is Crossrail going to relieve that? By letting people on
the North Kent line from east of Abbey Wood change there? That's not
exactly a huge fraction of the Jubilee's passengers, is it? And don't they
already have the option to do Greenwich - Docklands by DLR? Not that
that's exactly a high-capacity route itself.

But if you're coming from Finchley or wherever, you can easily switch
from using the Jubilee at London Bridge to Crossrail at Moorgate. I
think the same applies to passengers coming from most places west of
Docklands.

Entirely agreed. But the point i was making in the text that's been
snipped is that the Crossrail project doesn't deliver significant
increases in capacity outside central London, and none that couldn't be
provided much more cheaply.

I don't disagree.

Liverpool Street isn't limited by platform capacity, it's limited by
capacity through the station throat. Rebuilding that is entirely possible,
although of course not trivial. I don't know about Paddington, i have to
confess. But since all we're talking about is lengthening trains, why do
we need more platforms?

Crossrail is expected to release significant capacity at Liverpool
Street for other services, even if its own route isn't seeing a big
increase. And there's quite a few more trains west of Paddington
planned, which would require platforms Paddington doesn't have.

If you're going into Oxford Circus to get on the Victoria line, this isn't
going to make any difference whatsoever. The new bit being added, however
enormous, will only decongest the existing station to the extent that they
can abstract passengers away from the Central line.

Again, it depends where you're ultimately going. Yes Crossrail is
useless if your destination is actually on the Bakerloo and Victoria
(except Paddington of course), but if you're changing to some other
line than there's possibly a way to do the same journey using
Crossrail. Farringdon in particular is going to have direct trains to
places you might currently reach from Victoria or King's Cross, as
Thameslink 2000 will be complete.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

R.C. Payne March 26th 08 07:51 PM

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Certainly off peak, the Gillingham trains these days seem to go via
Greenwich rather than Blackheath and Lewisham. Not sure about the rush
hour, though.

Robin

Lüko Willms March 27th 08 04:51 AM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

Am Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:16:55 UTC, schrieb Mike Roebuck
auf uk.railway :

So - learn German and move to Frankfurt.

You'd need to learn German and then learn Rhineland German.

No - my German is fluent, and I learned it mostly in Hamburg. I never
needed to learn Hessisch as well to communicate when I was in
Frankfurt-am-Main.

Neither did I after living for more than three decades here. And it
is really not needed. More than a quarter of the city's population is
of foreign descent, and among young people this percentage is even
higher.

Cheers,
L.W.

[email protected] March 27th 08 01:07 PM

On 26 Mar, 16:42, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:09:41 on
Wed, 26 Mar 2008, dave hill remarked:

I'm disappointed they aren't doing the rowing in Nottingham - I could
have walked to the venue!

I was under the impression that the Row course at Holme Point(?) was
not up to standard and a NEW facility needed to be brought into
use.

MRD applies.

Mornington Crescent.

Jonn

David Biddulph March 27th 08 09:48 PM

"dave hill" wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote
I'm disappointed they aren't doing the rowing in Nottingham - I could
have walked to the venue!

I was under the impression that the Row course at Holme Point(?) was
not up to standard and a NEW facility needed to be brought into
use.
I think its to do with the average wind speed over the course being in
the main more than that allowed.
I could be talking a load of old ******

*Holme Pierrepont*, which was used for the World Championships in 1975 and
1986.
In those days a course with 6 racing lanes, and one lane to the start, was
the standard. These days the authorities want 8 racing lanes so that they
can choose the fairest 6, and they also want a separate return lake to get
to the start, and those are what Dorney provides.
--
David Biddulph

Tom Anderson March 27th 08 10:24 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, John B wrote:

On 26 Mar, 20:43, Tom Anderson wrote:
Oddly enough, I've just successfully purchased six months' supply of
contact lenses [at 1/3 of UK opticians' prices for the same brand made
in the same US factory. Can we wind up that cartel next please?], some
groceries and toiletries, and a toasted sandwich - all from people who
speak Turkish and no English.

What was in the sandwich?

Indeterminate meat.

Hang on. Istanbul. 'Toasted sandwich'. Indeterminate meat.

Own up John, it was a kebab, wasn't it?

tom

--
09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0 -- AACS Licensing Administrator

Tom Anderson March 27th 08 10:59 PM

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Andy wrote:

On Mar 26, 6:53*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Mr Thant wrote:
On 25 Mar, 23:49, Tom Anderson wrote:

The Jubilee?

To Docklands. AIUI the Jubilee between London Bridge and North
Greenwich is already one of the most congested bits of the network.

Right. And how is Crossrail going to relieve that? By letting people on
the North Kent line from east of Abbey Wood change there? That's not
exactly a huge fraction of the Jubilee's passengers, is it? And don't they
already have the option to do Greenwich - Docklands by DLR? Not that
that's exactly a high-capacity route itself.

There will also be the East London Line extension feeding passengers in
at Whitechapel. These passengers who would currently goto London Bridge
for the Jubilee line.

Oh, i see. So, Kent - New Cross Gate - Whitechapel - Canary Wharf?
They'll make two changes and a sort of spiral round Docklands?

[...]

Absolutely. Sorry that i haven't really made myself clear about all this -
i think Crossrail's a good idea (although not as good an idea as some
other options which were dismissed - but that's another story), i just
think it's misleading to say it'll increase capacity on the lines it's
assimilating.

[...]

Right. Problems which could be solved without recourse to a tunnel.

[...]

Yes, yes, but the extent to which it does that is only the extent to which
you take passengers off the Central, that's what i'm saying.

It will also mean that Oxford Circus doesn't need to be expensively
rebuilt to add capacity for entrance / exit.

It might. It probably will still need it!

tom

--
09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0 -- AACS Licensing Administrator

Tom Anderson March 27th 08 11:06 PM

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Mr Thant wrote:

On 26 Mar, 18:53, Tom Anderson wrote:

Right. And how is Crossrail going to relieve that? By letting people on
the North Kent line from east of Abbey Wood change there? That's not
exactly a huge fraction of the Jubilee's passengers, is it? And don't they
already have the option to do Greenwich - Docklands by DLR? Not that
that's exactly a high-capacity route itself.

But if you're coming from Finchley or wherever, you can easily switch
from using the Jubilee at London Bridge to Crossrail at Moorgate. I
think the same applies to passengers coming from most places west of
Docklands.

Ah, that's a good point, i hadn't thought of that. Crossrail also
eliminates the Essex - Stratford - Docklands traffic, did anyone mention
that? Not that this is the crowded bit of the Jubilee.

Liverpool Street isn't limited by platform capacity, it's limited by
capacity through the station throat. Rebuilding that is entirely
possible, although of course not trivial. I don't know about
Paddington, i have to confess. But since all we're talking about is
lengthening trains, why do we need more platforms?

Crossrail is expected to release significant capacity at Liverpool
Street for other services, even if its own route isn't seeing a big
increase.

I'm very slightly dubious about this. Where are the trains run using this
capacity going to run to? More trains on the GE fasts? More WA trains?

And there's quite a few more trains west of Paddington planned, which
would require platforms Paddington doesn't have.

Okay, i thought it was path-for-path. There will be more actual trains
under Crossrail?

If you're going into Oxford Circus to get on the Victoria line, this isn't
going to make any difference whatsoever. The new bit being added, however
enormous, will only decongest the existing station to the extent that they
can abstract passengers away from the Central line.

Again, it depends where you're ultimately going. Yes Crossrail is
useless if your destination is actually on the Bakerloo and Victoria
(except Paddington of course), but if you're changing to some other line
than there's possibly a way to do the same journey using Crossrail.

The orientation of the lines at Oxford Circus makes this difficult,
though; east is east and northeast is northeast, etc, to a large extent.

Farringdon in particular is going to have direct trains to places you
might currently reach from Victoria or King's Cross, as Thameslink 2000
will be complete.

That's a very good point.

Plus, if you take the Bakerloo to get a train at Paddington, you might
have a single seat (or half square metre of floor) all the way home.

Is TLnK getting Victoria trains? I haven't been keeping up, i have to
confess.

tom

--
09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0 -- AACS Licensing Administrator

lonelytraveller March 27th 08 11:11 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

To bring this back on topc: Whatever the cost, Crossrail is essential.

Adrian

Even if its 5 times more expensive than 5 new tube lines through
central london?

lonelytraveller March 27th 08 11:22 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

It will be a faster way to get _thru_ London, instead of just _into_
London.

Cheers,
L.W.

Who exactly needs to go through london that quickly, everyone in kent/
france can already get through via CTRL/St Pancras - and its only a
couple of stops round the tube if they want to get to paddington/
euston [and vice versa]. So that only leave the people in Anglia, but
north & central Anglia can access kings cross, so that's really just
the people in essex, which is hardly significant in the scale of cross-
london travel.

lonelytraveller March 27th 08 11:27 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

On Mar 25, 8:56 am, Jane Sullivan
wrote:
In message , Charles Ellson
writes

Nowadays the whole point might be that with modern technology there is
no longer a need for a physical centre as there was in the past when
the City of London was full of messengers running around with
negotiable documents.

I work in IT in the finance industry, at Canary Wharf

- The transport links are abysmal, and during the rush hours trains
are always overcrowded.
- I have "modern technology" links at home (Broadband and phone) and I
am allowed to work from home occasionally (i.e. not all the time,
and there has to be a good reason).
- It is much easier and more convenient to do my job in the office.
- Yes, you can have meetings via conference call over the phone, but
it is much better to get everyone together in an office.
- It is far easier to get things from a colleague by going to their
desk and having a quiet chat than by phoning them.
- My clients on the trading desks are not allowed to do their jobs
from home. This is a regulatory requirement.
- Lastly and most importantly - you can't have a drink with your
colleagues and clients after work if you're all working from home.
--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the gardenhttp://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html

There's lots of nice houses in the docklands. If you choose to live
miles away from where you work, the commute is your own fault.

lonelytraveller March 27th 08 11:33 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

But Crossrail includes 8 underground stations, most with two entrances
(doubling many of the costs), the rebuilding of several miles of Great
Western Main Line including two grade-separated junctions (Heathrow
and Acton Yard), the electrification of 11 miles of GWML (requiring
the rebuilding of about ten bridges in Slough), rebuilding a of a fair
bit of GEML, rebuilding of ca. 30 stations (about half will be
completely demolished) and so on. It's a much larger project.

Yes, so they could reduce the costs by doing it at tube guage, and
having single entrances for the stations, and raising the level it
runs at through farringdon so that they can re-use the tracks for the
moorgate branch of thameslink.

lonelytraveller March 27th 08 11:34 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

On Mar 25, 9:53 am, "Grumpy Old Man"
wrote:
The Real Doctor wrote:

On 24 Mar, 23:10, Adrian wrote:
On Mar 24, 4:00 pm, Dan G wrote:

Anyone seen a more detailed costing of the scheme? *Why* is it costing
so much more than other, not dissimilar, projects?

In part it will cost a lot because it will be (or should be)
engineered to a very high standard. The Jubilee Line extension is a
pointer in that respect.

But it is predicted to cost more than five times as much as the
Jubilee Line extension ...

You have clearly never lived in a city where good spacious (1,000 sq
ft per person) affordable housing is available to middle class
workers. Or, enjoyed one where a normal comfortable journey to work
is 40 minutes or less.

And how many people do you think will find good, spacious, affordable
housing as a result of this line. It'll knock quarter of an hour,
tops, off the journey onto London - are those fifteen minutes really
deterring millions from moving to good, spacious, affordable housing?

Ian

The only way to get good, spacious, affordable housing in Britain is to have a
smaller population. It's gone up 50% in the past hundred years.

The housing crisis is more about the fact that everyone wants to live
in their own home now, while before people were content to have their
entire family live in the upstairs floor of a standard victorian
terrace house.

lonelytraveller March 27th 08 11:37 PM

Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

On Mar 25, 10:27 am, "BH Williams" wrote:
"Lüko Willms" wrote in message

Am Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:00:56 UTC, schrieb Dan G
auf uk.railway :

Anyone seen a more detailed costing of the scheme?

I didn't. But I have some thoughts about this:

*Why* is it costing so much more than other, not dissimilar, projects?

Comparing just the length of the cross-London tunnel with the length
of the HS1 London tunnel and wondering why the same length of tunnel
can be much more costly to build -- does make sense only when one
wants to see the cost of the tunnel as only the cost of boring it, by
meter or kilometer.

But there may be a lot of utility lines ond other uses of the
underground to be removed before one can go on boring; also London
Crossrail is planned to have more stations, and underground stations,
which in itself would be more expensive than the one Stratford Int'l
box, plus interchanges with existing underground and train stations.
That is a lot of extra work, which makes the London Crossrail tunnel
more expensive to build than the London HS1 tunnel with the one open
station in its middle.

Just my two cents...

Cheers,
L.W.

More to do with the very deep foundations of tall buildings in Central
London than utilities. In comparison, the tunnelling for CTRL2 and JLE were
relatively unimpeded by such constraints. The gradient profile should be
'interesting' as a result of this.
Brian

Instead of going along oxford street, which is quite filled with
building foundations, they should continue through hyde-park to hyde-
park-corner, and then take the old fleet-line route via charing cross/
aldwych, and then along kingsway, routes which already have tube lines
under them.

Mizter T March 28th 08 12:00 AM

On 27 Mar, 23:59, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Andy wrote:

[...]

ITYM New Cross as opposed to New Cross Gate - NX being the potential
interchange point for people coming in from some parts of Kent, though
of course only so many trains actually stop there, others charge
through non-stop en route to London Bridge.

Of course the above route via Whitechapel is a nonsense for those
headed to the Docklands. If they were using the ELLX they'd head to
Canada Water and then pile on the (already crowded) Jubilee line one
stop to Canary Wharf. Given that it's just one stop in a way one could
say that the overcrowding isn't that big an issue for these passengers
- unless of course the Jubilee trains are so crowded that no more
people could actually get on board them.

And of course Crossrail will relieve this by taking passengers
currently using the Jubilee from central London to get to the
Docklands and instead putting them on Crossrail trains to the new Isle
of Dogs station next to Canary Wharf (and indeed beyond to Custom
House).

Andy March 28th 08 12:48 AM

On Mar 27, 11:59*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Andy wrote:
[...]

No, not Kent, London Bridge is not purely served by South Eastern, but
by Southern as well. The ELLX will run West Croydon and Crystal Palace
to Whitechapel giving passengers one stop on Crossrail to Docklands.
North Kent will be served by changing at Abbey Wood, as others have
suggested. There will also be the possibility of Thameslink passengers
changing at Farringdon from the south.

[...]

But can we agree that it will provide extra capacity at the terminii
where the current trains will be removed? On top of any possible
increase in the lines that it serves directly.

[...]

But at what proportion of the cost? To add a double track railway
junction at each end of the Crossrail tunnels is considerable easier
than fitting extra platforms / new layouts into the existing sites.
The junctions can be placed where there is room without the expense of
buying the land etc. You only need to look at the costs that seem to
be involved in adding just one platform at King's Cross. The point is
that the extra capacity is needed in central London and this can only
be provided by building a tunnel.

[...]

Well, as it is already the busiest underground station, without a
National Rail interchange, I would hope that it will be able to cope
for a few years with a sizeable percentage of Central line passengers
removed.

tom

--
09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0 -- AACS Licensing Administrator

Mr Thant March 28th 08 07:51 AM

On 28 Mar, 00:06, Tom Anderson wrote:
I'm very slightly dubious about this. Where are the trains run using this
capacity going to run to? More trains on the GE fasts? More WA trains?

West Anglia:
"On the Great Eastern route, it has been assumed that a 6 tph service
would
operate in the peak period between Gidea Park and Liverpool Street. On
the
West Anglia route via Hackney Downs, an additional 6 tph are assumed
operate following the opening of Crossrail. "

http://billdocuments.crossrail.co.uk...%20Pattern.pdf

And the first lot of trains mean a net increase in service on the
Shenfield route.

Okay, i thought it was path-for-path. There will be more actual trains
under Crossrail?

Interesting question. I think the peak provision remains the same but
they'll be running more trains off peak. Sounds like it shouldn't be a
problem, but AIUI due to freight and the platforms at Paddington being
taken up by intercity services which are busy all day, there's not
capacity to run it at the moment.

Is TLnK getting Victoria trains? I haven't been keeping up, i have to
confess.

Not directly, but Victoria and London Bridge/Blackfriars serve a lot
of the same places.

Mizter T March 28th 08 08:12 AM

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Andy wrote:

[...]

(I think Tom was getting somewhat confused between NX and NXG but
anyway...)

Though for those travelling via the ELLX to Canary Wharf from points
south I find it difficult to believe that anyone would do anything
other than change onto the Jubilee at Canada Water - going via
Whitechapel and Crossrail would entail staying on the ELLX for three
extra stops.

Though for those coming from points north on the ELLX then a change at
Whitechapel onto Crossrail will be an attractive choice, and will also
provide some relief to the Jubilee line this way - though to some
degree that may well be relief from the new demands that the completed
ELLX will place on the Jubilee at Canada Water. The via Crossrail at
Whitechapel option will also be good for those using the ELLX from
either points north or south who're heading to Custom House.

Andy March 28th 08 09:34 AM

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Andy wrote:

[...]

I was kind of forgetting Rotherhithe, Wapping and Shadwell on the
ELLX, however, the first two stations are very close together and
close to Canada Water!! The Crossrail station at Isle of Dogs will be
on the other side of Canary Wharf (it will be under West India Dock
between Canary Wharf and West India Quay, to the east of the West
Indix Quay DLR station ) from the Jubilee station and the extra time
spent on the ELLX train would be made up for any passengers heading to
the Northern side of the offices here.

John Rowland March 28th 08 09:54 AM

Tom Anderson wrote:
And there's quite a few more trains west of Paddington planned, which
would require platforms Paddington doesn't have.

Okay, i thought it was path-for-path. There will be more actual trains
under Crossrail?

There have to be. Extending the line makes the existing line desirable to
more punters - if it didn't, there would be little point in extending the
line in question.

John B March 28th 08 11:23 AM

On 28 Mar, 01:24, Tom Anderson wrote:
Oddly enough, I've just successfully purchased six months' supply of
contact lenses [at 1/3 of UK opticians' prices for the same brand made
in the same US factory. Can we wind up that cartel next please?], some
groceries and toiletries, and a toasted sandwich - all from people who
speak Turkish and no English.

What was in the sandwich?

Indeterminate meat.

Hang on. Istanbul. 'Toasted sandwich'. Indeterminate meat.

Own up John, it was a kebab, wasn't it?

Yes, -ish. Although it wasn't a doner, and it came in a bread roll
rather than a pitta...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Mizter T March 28th 08 11:54 AM

On 28 Mar, 01:48, Andy wrote:

On Mar 27, 11:59 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Andy wrote:

(snip)

[...]

Sorry Andy but I just don't buy that. Crossrail may have many benefits
but this is not going to be one of them.

Even if we take a worst case scenario that Rotherhithe and Wapping
might have to close at some point in the more distant future if there
is some plan for longer trains on the ELLX, the extra distance and
journey time from Canada Water to Whitechapel (with at least one stop
at Shadwell) just doesn't compare to a direct trip under the Thames
from Canada Water to Canary Wharf on the Jubilee. Passengers are not
going to choose to introduce this extra dogleg into their journey,
especially given the very easy interchange offered at Canada Water.

I also simply don't agree with your argument that the location of the
Isle of Dogs Crossrail station will be so advantageous that some
passengers will wish to choose it over the Jubilee line station - the
tube station really is hardly any distance away so only the *most*
stupid and lazy would possibly factor in these few saved paces and
decide to build there commute around that.

Of course passengers traveling via the ELLX and the Jubilee will
benefit indirectly from Crossrail as it'll take the strain off the
overcrowded Jubilee line by removing passengers from points west.

I don't think it likely that Thameslink passengers from the south will
pass through London Bridge and go up to Farringdon for Crossrail
rather than changing to the Jubilee from London Bridge, though this
will certainly look like a good move for those coming from the
Wimbledon/Sutton loop (or other similar south London suburban start
points if the Thameslink service gets rejigged). Even if the
interchange at Farringdon is very easy,

Crossrail will be of benefit directly or indirectly (through relief of
overcrowding) for many Docklands commuters no doubt, but I don't think
it's that great an idea to try and shoehorn all potential Docklands-
bound journeys into somehow making use of Crossrail!

Andy March 28th 08 01:22 PM

On 28 Mar, 01:48, Andy wrote:

On Mar 27, 11:59 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Andy wrote:

(snip)

[...]

Indix Quay DLR station Â*) from the Jubilee station and the extra time
[...]

I think that you would be surprised that the number of passengers who
will do anything to avoid the tube!! I'm not saying it will be a large
number of people taking that route, but it won't be zero either.

Of course passengers traveling via the ELLX and the Jubilee will
benefit indirectly from Crossrail as it'll take the strain off the
overcrowded Jubilee line by removing passengers from points west.

I don't think it likely that Thameslink passengers from the south will
pass through London Bridge and go up to Farringdon for Crossrail
rather than changing to the Jubilee from London Bridge, though this
will certainly look like a good move for those coming from the
Wimbledon/Sutton loop (or other similar south London suburban start
points if the Thameslink service gets rejigged). Even if the
interchange at Farringdon is very easy,

I wasn't really thinking of the Thameslink passengers from the
Brighton / Croydon - London mainline, who as you say have
alternatives. I was thinking of the Wimbledon / Sutton loop (or
wherever in the future) passengers. Farringdon is only be a few
minutes from Blackfriars and connections will certainly be easier to
Docklands than they currently for the non London Bridge Thameslink
passengers.

Mizter T March 28th 08 02:05 PM

On 28 Mar, 14:22, Andy wrote:

On Mar 28, 12:54 pm, Mizter T wrote:

Andy wrote:

[...]

You make a good point there, there are a sizeable number of people who
wish to avoid the tube, especially when it's busy, even if it is for
just one stop. I suppose against that I'd say that Crossrail should
relieve the overcrowding Jubilee line somewhat, and indeed Crossrail
could get just as busy as the Jubilee. Though there will be those
who'd always prefer to travel in a full sized carriage rather than a
tube sized one, even if it is similarly busy.

The other factor I hadn't really though about was people trying to get
seats. Those heading back home could conceivably travel via Crossrail
and Whitechapel in the hope that they'd be more likely to pick up a
seat on an ELLX train there rather than joining the scrum at Canada
Water. Whether they'd be many free seats remaining on a rush-hour
southbound ELLX after the City commuters got on board at Shoreditch
High Street remains to be seen!