Old March 24th 08, 06:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

On Mar 24, 2:41*am, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote

My reading of Ken's comments are that (a) he fully understands that
Crossrail is a project of great enormity and he will treat it as such,

I hope you don't really mean that - it is an enormous project, but surely
not one of great wickedness.

[NB - for those who may not understand my point, may I respectfully suggest
that they look up 'enormity' in a dictionary.]

Peter

A much more common mistake is the misuse of the word "prestigious".

To bring this back on topc: Whatever the cost, Crossrail is essential.

Adrian

Old March 24th 08, 07:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 24 Mar, 18:35, Adrian wrote:

To bring this back on topc: Whatever the cost, Crossrail is essential.

Essential to /what/?

Ian
Old March 24th 08, 07:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:35:40 +0000, Adrian wrote

To bring this back on topc: Whatever the cost, Crossrail is essential.

*Whatever* the cost??

Old March 24th 08, 08:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Mar 24, 12:46*pm, The Real Doctor
wrote:
On 24 Mar, 18:35, Adrian wrote:

To bring this back on topc: Whatever the cost, Crossrail is essential.

Essential to /what/?

Ian

It is essential to London's ongoing function as a financial center.
Crossrail will also be useful in helping London's quality of life.
However, I fear that it will take more than one Cross rail to restore
that to anything like acceptable levels.
Old March 24th 08, 08:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Mar 24, 12:52*pm, Stimpy wrote:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:35:40 +0000, Adrian wrote

To bring this back on topc: Whatever the cost, Crossrail is essential.

*Whatever* the cost??

Wouldn't you like to actually derive some benefit from those
extortionately high UK taxes?

Old March 24th 08, 08:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:15:07 +0000, Adrian wrote

To bring this back on topc: Whatever the cost, Crossrail is essential.

*Whatever* the cost??

Wouldn't you like to actually derive some benefit from those
extortionately high UK taxes?

I can think of *many* things to spend my tax money on that would give me more
benefit than Crossrail.

Save £1bn on Crossrail and reopen the stations in Monmouth and Rhyader please
:-)

Old March 24th 08, 08:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Mar 24, 1:35*pm, Stimpy wrote:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:15:07 +0000, Adrian wrote

To bring this back on topc: Whatever the cost, Crossrail is essential.

*Whatever* the cost??

Wouldn't you like to actually derive some benefit from those
extortionately high UK taxes?

I can think of *many* things to spend my tax money on that would give me more
benefit than Crossrail.

Save £1bn on Crossrail and reopen the stations in Monmouth and Rhyader please
:-)

Reopen Monmouth, Rhydar and much of Wales' lost network AND build
Crossrail. The UK Treasury can afford it. BTW: I must express an
interest. My father and much of my ancestry is from Monmouthshire.
Indeed, my brother still maintains a home there, although he lives and
works in Alberta.

Adrian
Old March 24th 08, 10:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

On 24 Mar, 18:35, Adrian wrote:

To bring this back on topc: Whatever the cost, Crossrail is essential.

Essential to /what/?

It is essential to London's ongoing function as a financial center.
Crossrail will also be useful in helping London's quality of life.

It can't be essential to London's ongoing function, because that's
ongoing without Crossrail. Perhaps you meant "future development" -
but even then, I'd like to see some convincing proof that it's really
going to be worth spending £16bn on.

Ian
Old March 24th 08, 10:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 24 Mar, 20:15, Adrian wrote:
On Mar 24, 12:52 pm, Stimpy wrote:

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:35:40 +0000, Adrian wrote

To bring this back on topc: Whatever the cost, Crossrail is essential.

*Whatever* the cost??

Wouldn't you like to actually derive some benefit from those
extortionately high UK taxes?

The people Crossrail is supposed to benefit - the international
financial community
- by and large pay bugger all in taxes.

Ian
Old March 24th 08, 11:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

On 24 Mar, 18:35, Adrian wrote:

To bring this back on topc: Whatever the cost, Crossrail is essential.

Essential to /what/?

Ian

It is essential to London's ongoing function as a financial center.
Crossrail will also be useful in helping London's quality of life.
However, I fear that it will take more than one Cross rail to restore
that to anything like acceptable levels.

"They" keep saying the same thing about Heathrow and a third runway --
as if, if it's not built, that suddenly nobody will ever fly into or
out of Heathrow ever again. Somehow I doubt that, and I doubt London
would grind to a halt and go bankrupt if it didn't get Crossrail.

Anyone seen a more detailed costing of the scheme? *Why* is it costing
so much more than other, not dissimilar, projects?