Old September 1st 03, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default oyster conundrum

right, so my oyster is due to expire on saturday coming. quite niftily,
oyster had sent me an email telling me so - i didnt really have an idea
myself.

now, usually id buy my ticket on the monday, since i woudnt be using the tub
on the sunday. is it possible for me to do that now? or does the renewal
force me to start it on sunday?

if i /do/ commit to a monday start, is there any way i could bring it back
to sunday if i find i need it then? im really uncomfortable buying TCs in
advance i guess....

whatever i decide, what are the experiences with getting your card reloaded?
has anyone missed it (by travelling from a different station or the like)?
what happens on the bus if its not renewed in time?

Old September 1st 03, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:20:16 +0100, spammy wrote:
now, usually id buy my ticket on the monday, since i woudnt be using the tub
on the sunday. is it possible for me to do that now? or does the renewal
force me to start it on sunday?

You can choose the start date when you renew.

if i /do/ commit to a monday start, is there any way i could bring it back
to sunday if i find i need it then?

Probably not. Not yet transfered orders can be cancelled but once
it's on your card I think it's too late.

im really uncomfortable buying TCs in
advance i guess....

Sounds like you will be best buying the ticket from a touch screen
machine when you need it.

David
Old September 1st 03, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Walters" wrote in message

Sounds like you will be best buying the ticket from a touch screen
machine when you need it.

is that possible atm?

Old September 1st 03, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:50:21 +0100, spammy wrote:
"David Walters" wrote in message

Sounds like you will be best buying the ticket from a touch screen
machine when you need it.

is that possible atm?

If I put my Oyster against the reader on a touch screen machine it
gives me the option of renewing the ticket. I haven't actually done
it but I'm sure someone on here said they had.

David
Old September 1st 03, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Walters" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:50:21 +0100, spammy wrote:
"David Walters" wrote in message

Sounds like you will be best buying the ticket from a touch screen
machine when you need it.

is that possible atm?

If I put my Oyster against the reader on a touch screen machine it
gives me the option of renewing the ticket. I haven't actually done
it but I'm sure someone on here said they had.

I've renewed using a touch screen machine, despite the insistence from the
guy in the ticket office that the only way was over the 'net!

Old September 1st 03, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"spammy" wrote in message
"Ed Crowley" wrote in message

If I put my Oyster against the reader on a touch screen machine it
gives me the option of renewing the ticket. I haven't actually done
it but I'm sure someone on here said they had.

I've renewed using a touch screen machine, despite the insistence from

the
guy in the ticket office that the only way was over the 'net!

ah cheers guys. thats much more of a good idea for me....although it still
means i get to walk to the station instead of using the bus. sigh.

Remember that you can store up to three 'tickets' on one Oystercard, so you
can renew before your current ticket expires.

Old September 1st 03, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ed Crowley" wrote in message

Remember that you can store up to three 'tickets' on one Oystercard, so

you
can renew before your current ticket expires.

ok, but that doesnt help if im not sure of my start date! i was under the
impression id be able to renew my ticket over the internet the morning i
wanted to use it.... but the touchscreen idea is good enough....at least i
wont have to talk to a cashier...

Old September 1st 03, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ed Crowley" wrote in message

"spammy" wrote in message
"Ed Crowley" wrote in message

If I put my Oyster against the reader on a touch screen machine it
gives me the option of renewing the ticket. I haven't actually done
it but I'm sure someone on here said they had.

I've renewed using a touch screen machine, despite the insistence from

the
guy in the ticket office that the only way was over the 'net!

ah cheers guys. thats much more of a good idea for me....although it

still
means i get to walk to the station instead of using the bus. sigh.

Remember that you can store up to three 'tickets' on one Oystercard, so

you
can renew before your current ticket expires.

Not yet, since you cannot download your new ticket more than 5 days before
start date.

Lawrence Myers

Old September 1st 03, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 13:13:34 +0100, David Walters
wrote:

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:50:21 +0100, spammy wrote:
"David Walters" wrote in message

Sounds like you will be best buying the ticket from a touch screen
machine when you need it.

is that possible atm?

If I put my Oyster against the reader on a touch screen machine it
gives me the option of renewing the ticket. I haven't actually done
it but I'm sure someone on here said they had.

My reminder e-mail suggested that I renew over the Internet to avoid
the queues, from which I inferred that queuing for a touch-screen was
an option! Also a few weeks ago I put my Oyster next to a
touch-screen and it offered me the option of renewing the ticket.

I've just renewed mine through the web site: it's actually quite a
clunky process, and the site desperately needs a button jus to get
another month of whatever you've already got (if you see what I mean).
So I'll probably try the touch-screen approach next time round

Martin

Old September 2nd 03, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Newt wrote in message ...
Ed Crowley wrote:

"spammy" wrote in message
"Ed Crowley" wrote in message

If I put my Oyster against the reader on a touch screen machine it
gives me the option of renewing the ticket. I haven't actually done
it but I'm sure someone on here said they had.

I've renewed using a touch screen machine, despite the insistence from

the
guy in the ticket office that the only way was over the 'net!

ah cheers guys. thats much more of a good idea for me....although it still
means i get to walk to the station instead of using the bus. sigh.

Remember that you can store up to three 'tickets' on one Oystercard, so you
can renew before your current ticket expires.

I was told this morning by Oystercard that advance renewals are only
online and not via the machines. I hope he was wrong. He didn't sound
that confident about anything he told me. (Especially when I asked "this
IS going to get better soon, isn't it?")

This is true. The machines can only renew Oystercards to commence on that day ...