Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 16th 08, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Buses - Why do I bother?

On 15 Apr, 18:09, James Farrar wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 05:54:48 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On 11 Apr, 13:44, Tom Anderson wrote:

This is why i get so furious when people on here tell me that buses are a
perfectly good way to travel, that they can get from Pinner to London
Bridge in ten minutes with cast-iron reliability, etc. It's not true. It's
just not true. Bus travel is a lottery, and nothing more.

Depends on the journey. I live a three minute walk from KXSP station.
Despite this I'll generally take the bus for any journey I can within
central London - because anything that is less than four stops on the
tube, or would involve a change, it'll be quicker.

But that said, I commute to Hammersmith every day, and even though
there's a bus that stops outside my office and thirty seconds from my
house, I would be absolutely insane to take it because it takes an
interminable time to do the length of Oxford Street.

Right. And the Picadilly takes about 20 minutes and, as a backup plan,
the H&C takes about 25, so there's not much reason to consider the bus
for that kind of regular journey.

I take the H&C anyway for the morning journey. It takes longer on
average but there's significantly less chance of spending twenty
minutes being forced to cram into another human being's armpit in
order to get on a train.

Jonn