Old April 27th 08, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

In message .uk, at
15:23:00 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
I can picture the escalators down to the Victoria Line. Are the
steps down fewer than would be required from bridge level to
[northbound NXEA] platform level?

Yes. There are steps down from the victoria Line ticket office level to
the Down Lea Valley platform.

Ah, so that doesn't make it step-free if you are emerging from the tube
and heading for Stansted?

So we need a different step-free route (says a member of the extreme
step-free club).

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

Old April 27th 08, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:08:34 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote this gibberish:

In message .uk, at
15:23:00 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
I can picture the escalators down to the Victoria Line. Are the
steps down fewer than would be required from bridge level to
[northbound NXEA] platform level?

Yes. There are steps down from the victoria Line ticket office level to
the Down Lea Valley platform.

Ah, so that doesn't make it step-free if you are emerging from the tube
and heading for Stansted?

So we need a different step-free route (says a member of the extreme
step-free club).

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

you could always come off the vic line escalators, out into the bus
station area, down the slope and hope the door at the end is unlocked
to the platform and gain step-free access that way... :-D
--
Mark Varley
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk
Old April 27th 08, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message .uk, at
15:23:00 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
I can picture the escalators down to the Victoria Line. Are the
steps down fewer than would be required from bridge level to
[northbound NXEA] platform level?

Yes. There are steps down from the victoria Line ticket office level to
the Down Lea Valley platform.

Ah, so that doesn't make it step-free if you are emerging from the tube and
heading for Stansted?

So we need a different step-free route (says a member of the extreme
step-free club).

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

Or change to Wimbleware at Earl's Court, and then to Circle or H&C at
Edgware Road? That avoids the doubling-back, which is inelegant, and
involves the same number of changes.

tom

--
There are lousy reviews, and then there's empirical ****ness. -- pikelet
Old April 27th 08, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote this gibberish:

[...]

I'm sure that there must be a route involving a bit of Victoria Line
doubling-back via Finsbury Park (twice) and Highbury (twice), same/
cross platform at Welwyn or Stevenage then same platform at Cambridge
for Stansted ...

But that would be silly.
Old April 27th 08, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

Don't wait until Edgware Road to change, as the Wimbleware train may
terminate at the westbound platform, which means a trip over the footbridge.
You can avoid the Wimbleware train altogether by doing Turnham Green to
Gloucester Road, then cross-platform to clockwise Circle Line which will
take you to Liverpool Street.

All this effort to avoid steps is a bit pointless for a journey starting at
Turnham Green, where there are 38 steps up to the platform. My own
preference would be a taxi/minicab from home to Hammersmith (Hammersmith &
City station), and the H&C from there to Liverpool Street (step-free at both
ends).
--
Richard J.

Old April 27th 08, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message .uk, at
15:23:00 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
I can picture the escalators down to the Victoria Line. Are the
steps down fewer than would be required from bridge level to
[northbound NXEA] platform level?

Yes. There are steps down from the victoria Line ticket office level to
the Down Lea Valley platform.

Ah, so that doesn't make it step-free if you are emerging from the tube
and heading for Stansted?

So we need a different step-free route (says a member of the extreme
step-free club).

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then across
the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as the
mainline trains?

There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). How do you avoid these?

tim

Old April 27th 08, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote this gibberish:

[...]

That is the proper step free route to the northbound platform, and the
doorway in question is always open.

I meanwhile am not a member of the extreme step-free club - a few
stairs is not a problem in my books, luggage is there to be lugged!
Old April 27th 08, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tims next home wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote:

(snip)

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then across
the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as the
mainline trains?

There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). How do you avoid these?

I'm pretty sure that at Liverpool St there's a ramp somewhere down
from the concourse level to the Tube ticket office level.

Anyway, I think Mr Thant's District line (if required), Piccadilly
line, Victoria line and Stansted Express route is the best step free
way to go.

Am I the only person who doesn't worry about this sort of stuff?!
Old April 27th 08, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
09:18:54 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, MIG
remarked:
So we need a different step-free route (says a member of the extreme
step-free club).

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

I'm sure that there must be a route involving a bit of Victoria Line
doubling-back via Finsbury Park (twice) and Highbury (twice), same/
cross platform at Welwyn or Stevenage then same platform at Cambridge
for Stansted ...

But that would be silly.

I thought about the via Cambridge route, but it's an extra fare and much
longer. Best step and escalator free way to Cambridge is via the
Circle/Met island platform at KX/Stp [lifts].
Old April 27th 08, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
13:31:46 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Mizter T remarked:
Yes. There are steps down from the victoria Line ticket office level to
the Down Lea Valley platform.

Ah, so that doesn't make it step-free if you are emerging from the tube
and heading for Stansted?

So we need a different step-free route (says a member of the extreme
step-free club).

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

you could always come off the vic line escalators, out into the bus
station area, down the slope and hope the door at the end is unlocked
to the platform and gain step-free access that way... :-D

That is the proper step free route to the northbound platform, and the
doorway in question is always open.

Problem solved, then.