Old September 3rd 03, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
df df is offline

Default thankfully no motorways in Islington!

thankfully no motorways in Islington otherwise they would install speed
bumps every 30metres!

Why is Islington council closing schools but yet able to spend
thousands/millions on speed bumps?

If you wonder down the side streets they have installed about 3 different
kinds of bumps depending on the class of people living in the area - first
the standard dump 3 piles of tarmac in the road, travel 30 metres you will
discover a lovely granite stone bump which has taken 2/3 weeks to construct
and finally the 'table top' speed bump.

Islington council are now installing speed bumps along Liverpool Road also
known to be the B515 - a main road no a rat run!!!!!

Anyone know the cost of installing the various bumps and what budget
Islington coucil is prepared to spend?

Also which London council has decided to get rid of speed bumps?

daveF

Old September 4th 03, 05:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"df" typed

Also which London council has decided to get rid of speed bumps?

Barnet is blessed with Brian Coleman, a very 'anti-hump' councillor.

I don't think they've all decided to get rid of the humps.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old September 4th 03, 06:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

In message , df
writes
Islington council are now installing speed bumps along Liverpool Road
also known to be the B515 - a main road no a rat run!!!!!

Well a car speeding hitting a child or other person is not a pleasant
sight. I can vouch for that. So how do you suggest councils slow down
traffic? Police man (or woman) with a speed gun and sniper rifle to blow
out their tyres if they are speeding?
--
CJG
Old September 4th 03, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Why is Islington council closing schools but yet able to spend
thousands/millions on speed bumps?

If you wonder down the side streets they have installed about 3 different
kinds of bumps depending on the class of people living in the area - first
the standard dump 3 piles of tarmac in the road, travel 30 metres you will
discover a lovely granite stone bump which has taken 2/3 weeks to construct
and finally the 'table top' speed bump.

Islington council are now installing speed bumps along Liverpool Road also
known to be the B515 - a main road no a rat run!!!!!

Anyone know the cost of installing the various bumps and what budget
Islington coucil is prepared to spend?

Also which London council has decided to get rid of speed bumps?

daveF

Liverpool Road is technically part of a 20mph zone, and such zone have
to be self-enforced with traffic calming. Why they made the speed
limit on that road 20mph I have no idea.

It is not really a rat-run but is used as a convenient alternative to
the A1 avoiding Highbury Corner (and is also actually straighter).

Incidentally, Camden Park Road is part of the A5200 yet has a 20mph
speed limit and speed humps, and that's an A-road not a B-road.

Traffic is also not allowed to turn left from Torriano Avenue (also
part of the A5200) into the primary route which is Camden Road (A503),
and instead is diverted down a parallel road with humps. (This can be
avoided using some side-streets).
Old September 4th 03, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
df df is offline

Liverpool Road is technically part of a 20mph zone, and such zone have
to be self-enforced with traffic calming. Why they made the speed
limit on that road 20mph I have no idea.

Where does it say 20mph zone?

daveF

Old September 4th 03, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
df df is offline

CJG wrote in message
In message , df
writes
Islington council are now installing speed bumps along Liverpool Road
also known to be the B515 - a main road no a rat run!!!!!

Well a car speeding hitting a child or other person is not a pleasant
sight. I can vouch for that. So how do you suggest councils slow down
traffic? Police man (or woman) with a speed gun and sniper rifle to blow
out their tyres if they are speeding?
--
CJG

What they have always done, never repair the roads or partly dig up the
roads :-)

It has been proven that speed bumps cost more lives than what they are
saving.

daveF

Old September 4th 03, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
I@n I@n is offline

df wrote:
It has been proven that speed bumps cost more lives than what they are
saving.

Hmmm. I've read somewhere that speed bumps create more pollution because of
the slow-down/speed-up/slow-down/speed-up driving pattern that results, but
never that they cause any deaths.

Old September 4th 03, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

In message , "I@n"
writes
Hmmm. I've read somewhere that speed bumps create more pollution
because of the slow-down/speed-up/slow-down/speed-up driving pattern
that results, but never that they cause any deaths.

Before someone else gets in there. The reason some councils are removing
speed bumps is because emergency service vehicles (especially)
ambulances are being delayed trying to get over the speed bumps. And I
think infact patients have been injured even more going over speed
bumps.
And deaths have been proved to a result of speed bumps. But not in a way
you were probably thinking of.
--
CJG
Old September 4th 03, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:29:15 +0100, "I@n" wrote:

Hmmm. I've read somewhere that speed bumps create more pollution because of
the slow-down/speed-up/slow-down/speed-up driving pattern that results, but
never that they cause any deaths.

There are a few in Milton Keynes (some on my estate, some in the
centre) where the speed bump is also a pedestrian crossing of a
footpath/cycleway, but is completely unmarked (other than the usual
speedbump markings). This often leads to pedestrians thinking a car
is going to stop and it does not - while, of course, the car driver
should be watching out and anticipating this, I can see how it could
lead to an accident if both parties were not paying full attention to
the situation.

The solution would either be to remove the speed bump and place it in
a more sensible location, or perhaps better turn it into a zebra
crossing to remove the potential confusion.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.