Old May 11th 08, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

In article , Paul Corfield
writes
I can't think of a city anywhere that
makes it easy for people with loads of fresh, high denomination currency
to use standard public transport services.

Tokyo: at a metro station somewhere in the centre, the machine happily
accepted my approx-50-pound banknote and issued ticket and (approx 49
pounds 50) change.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old May 11th 08, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Paul Corfield
writes
I can't think of a city anywhere that
makes it easy for people with loads of fresh, high denomination currency
to use standard public transport services.

Tokyo: at a metro station somewhere in the centre, the machine happily
accepted my approx-50-pound banknote and issued ticket and (approx 49
pounds 50) change.

Is it true that the Japanese don't really go in for payment by card, and
happily carry around large amounts of cash instead?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old May 11th 08, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message c7d653c6-afaf-4cc8-9656-6ff805a94025@8g2
000hse.googlegroups.com, Sat, 10 May 2008 07:11:27, alex_t
posted:

The latin alphabet is used frequently in russia

Russia uses Cyrillic alphabet and latin alphabet is used very rarely
(the only related example I can think about is tiny transcriptions of
station names on some Moscow Metro maps).

Since many Cyrillic characters are at least moderately similar in shape
to characters of the English or Greek alphabet (not necessarily sounding
the same), it's commonly easy to read them out loud when first *seen*.
While the result may be totally unrecognisable to a Russian, it can be
remembered and then recognised on subsequent signs.

Examples are (working from memory) MOCKBA, ?YM, PECTOPAH, and PEREXHOD
for Moscow, GUM, restaurant, and infantry (=pedestrians). ? = Gamma.

The same cannot, in general, be said of Welsh, which so often looks
unpronounceable (heddlu being a useful exception).

And one cannot use the method with Asiatic languages that are made up of
peculiar squiggles or that look like rows of squashed spiders.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. DOS 3.3 6.20 ; WinXP.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.
Old May 11th 08, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In article , Paul Corfield
writes
I can't think of a city anywhere that
makes it easy for people with loads of fresh, high denomination
currency
to use standard public transport services.

Tokyo: at a metro station somewhere in the centre, the machine happily
accepted my approx-50-pound banknote and issued ticket and (approx 49
pounds 50) change.

Was the change in notes or coins?

Peter Smyth

Old May 11th 08, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 10 May 2008 10:18:50 -0700 (PDT), MIG
wrote:

On May 10, 4:03*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
09:35:03 on Thu, 8 May 2008, MIG remarked:

Even if you happen to use
one such gate to enter the Tube system, you will still be leaving it
by a gate with a reader or a standalone target - all of which will
show you your balance.

I can't remember the last time I went in or out of an LU gate that
displayed anything at all apart from maybe "Enter" or "Exit".

The display of your balance is somewhere that you have to train yourself
to look for (otherwise you miss it), but it's there.

If it's in a position where you have to stop and lean back to peer at
a tiny display while a queue builds up behind you, as opposed to being
on the large display facility in front of you, it's not really of any
practical use. I am sure that, even on the older gates, information
used to be given on the large display, but maybe I am imagining it.

The Oyster target should normally be in front of you when you hold the
card on it, no?

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com

Old May 12th 08, 03:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Paul
Corfield writes
I can't think of a city anywhere that
makes it easy for people with loads of fresh, high denomination
currency to use standard public transport services.

Tokyo: at a metro station somewhere in the centre, the machine
happily accepted my approx-50-pound banknote and issued ticket and
(approx 49 pounds 50) change.

Is it true that the Japanese don't really go in for payment by card,
and happily carry around large amounts of cash instead?

Strange if true, as I thought most of that technology stuff originated in
Japan. So I thought using cards instead of cash would be right up their
street.

Old May 12th 08, 05:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 11 May 2008 19:48:05 +0100, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

Is it true that the Japanese don't really go in for payment by card, and
happily carry around large amounts of cash instead?

I believe so. Cash machines are also less common than over here and
tend to open only business hours - so another reason not to get
"caught short". The crime rate is very low, though, so the chance of
it getting nicked is fairly small.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old May 12th 08, 08:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 10, 6:45 pm, alex_t wrote:
Russian "C" is equivalent to English "S"

Or the english "C" in words such as circus.

Russian "E" is pronounced to English "eh"

More like "ye"

ý is pronounced as English "shch" ("sh" + "ch" quickly)

"y" is "oo". The shch sound is signified by that strange looking W
letter they nicked from hebrew (apparently).

B2003

Old May 12th 08, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 10, 11:34 pm, Richard wrote:
Paris - queue at the ticket office at the gare du nord , buy a Mobilis
(or whatever they're calling it this year). Sorted.

Heathrow - queue at the underground ticket office at Heathrow Central,
T4 or T5 and buy a One Day Travelcard or Bus Pass. Isn't that the
same?

Yes , except in Paris you won't get stitched for twice the price for
being a tourist and just buying a paper ticket.

B2003

Old May 12th 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 May, 09:30, Boltar wrote:
Paris - queue at the ticket office at the gare du nord , buy a Mobilis
(or whatever they're calling it this year). Sorted.

Heathrow - queue at the underground ticket office at Heathrow Central,
T4 or T5 and buy a One Day Travelcard or Bus Pass. Isn't that the
same?

Yes , except in Paris you won't get stitched for twice the price for
being a tourist and just buying a paper ticket.

ODTCs only cost about 50p more than the daily Oyster Prepay cap [which
reflects the fact that Prepay isn't valid on all NR services].

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org